Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groß

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Watching us since he was injured has really highlighted how central to how we play and perform he is. We have had lots of attempts to fill his role with alternative players in recent weeks and none of them have proved to be a viable alternative.

We are still capable of grinding out results in his absence but look a bit disjointed going forward without him on the pitch

Is he our one irreplaceable player?

Thoughts?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I thought March’s movement was excellent last night but unfortunately he is a long way behind Gross in terms of guile, inventiveness and technique.

We are a much better team with Gross in.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought March’s movement was excellent last night but unfortunately he is a long way behind Gross in terms of guile, inventiveness and technique.

Agree, March is also far too lightweight. There isn't a tackle he won't bottle.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Agree, March is also far too lightweight. There isn't a tackle he won't bottle.

Absolutely agree - if you watch him closely enough he always ‘nearly’ gets there to avoid actually having to make a proper tackle. I was disappointed with his work rate last night and Murray put him to shame with his work rate and closing down in comparison, while there were times when Kayal was really advanced and closing defenders down in positions that March should have been.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Knocky or Bis should have been in that role in my view, Bis should be starting as although he makes mistakes he breaks up play really well

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
March did Ok last night for someone whose not played at this level as a number 10. He offers movement in behind Murray something Gross doesn’t. But he’s quite lightweight still, as has been pointed out he isn’t to keen on the physical side although I did think he was a bit better last night and doesn’t have the awareness to pick a pass like Gross and doesn’t know when to press or when not to. Kayal pushes at times when March maybe should have done.. We are a much better player with Gross in our team. Be interesting to see if Andone is a viable alternative or whether is he more of a number 9.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely agree - if you watch him closely enough he always ‘nearly’ gets there to avoid actually having to make a proper tackle. I was disappointed with his work rate last night and Murray put him to shame with his work rate and closing down in comparison, while there were times when Kayal was really advanced and closing defenders down in positions that March should have been.

Murray closed down Fabianski, and March was close to their RB, but didn't close down the gap to prevent the pass. Murray gave March a real ear bashing for that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can't wait until Pascal is back in the team. Top player.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
March did Ok last night for someone whose not played at this level as a number 10. He offers movement in behind Murray something Gross doesn’t. But he’s quite lightweight still, as has been pointed out he isn’t to keen on the physical side although I did think he was a bit better last night and doesn’t have the awareness to pick a pass like Gross and doesn’t know when to press or when not to. Kayal pushes at times when March maybe should have done.. We are a much better player with Gross in our team. Be interesting to see if Andone is a viable alternative or whether is he more of a number 9.

Andone is an interesting situation as he is the one player I struggle to think where he will slot in if at all most probably because we have not seen him to see his strengths. Is he here to play the Baldock role with Murray as an alternative to the one upfront. If so unless it is late and chasing a game I cannot see CH deploying two up front at this level at the start of a game.

Agree though would be great to see if this is an option

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If Andone had more gametime, I believe he'd have started last night. March is being shoehorned into the team whatever the position at the moment and he's not justifying it. Jahanbakhsh started brilliantly last night before trying too hard in the second half. He's also not a number 10 so really, we only have Pascal Gross to play that role if we're determined not to play Propper there. Personally, I would have started Bissouma in a the deeper role and then played Propper higher up the pitch. The downside would have been that all our available central midfielders would have been on the pitch with no option to change it.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

Good point well made. I also think that the newbies

Locadia
Izzy
Ali
Bissouma
Montaya
Balogun

have all increasingly showed over the past month that we have a depth of squad now that is so much better than last season. AND (IT'S A BIG and)...our Romanian 20 goal season 2018/9 striker is yet to start.

Happy sunny morning In KA27!

TNBA

TTF

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I found it very odd that March was playing in that role last night. Given Ali J is used to playing anywhere along the front 3 he seemed the best option to play there instead of putting March somewhere he hasn’t played before.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I found it very odd that March was playing in that role last night. Given Ali J is used to playing anywhere along the front 3 he seemed the best option to play there instead of putting March somewhere he hasn’t played before.

Pretty sure March has played that role for us before, maybe not last season, but a few times with the absence of Baldock. Can't recall exactly which games, and it won't have been many, but he has played there.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Andone is an interesting situation as he is the one player I struggle to think where he will slot in if at all most probably because we have not seen him to see his strengths. Is he here to play the Baldock role with Murray as an alternative to the one upfront. If so unless it is late and chasing a game I cannot see CH deploying two up front at this level at the start of a game.

Agree though would be great to see if this is an option

As far as I can make out Andone played his whole career as a lone centre forward, not behind the striker on the wing or in a front 2, so I would imagine that is the same way that we would utilise him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That is exactly where Oscar played March, in his early first team appearances.

He was fine last night. Comfortably the best fist anybody has made at standing in for Groß, so far.

The sooner Groß himself is back, the better though, obviously. The guy is class.

scooter1

How soon is now?
March reminds me of Theo Walcott, in as much as he has the ability but his decision making is poor. He’s not a number 10 and looked a little lost at times last night. However the ability to operate out wide, with Ali J or AK coming inside is something we may benefit from if Gross, and possibly Propper are out for a few more weeks(post international break)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
That is exactly where Oscar played March, in his early first team appearances.

He was fine last night. Comfortably the best fist anybody has made at standing in for Groß, so far.

The sooner Groß himself is back, the better though, obviously. The guy is class.

There we go - yours and @Bold Seagul’s memory is much better than mine. Don’t remember that at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here