Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Flights cancelled

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Flight back from Venice cancelled with EasyJet last night, with no flight rescheduled. Nothing initially to say why cancelled, but turns out it was fog at Gatwick.

Rebooked onto BA flight(£100) which was subsequently delayed again due to fog, and rearranged for 13.30 today. BA have put us up in hotel over night.

Hopefully I’ll make kick off.

Any experts out there on what if anything we can claim back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Flight back from Venice cancelled with EasyJet last night, with no flight rescheduled. Nothing initially to say why cancelled, but turns out it was fog at Gatwick.

Rebooked onto BA flight(£100) which was subsequently delayed again due to fog, and rearranged for 13.30 today. BA have put us up in hotel over night.

Hopefully I’ll make kick off.

Any experts out there on what if anything we can claim back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My daughter was due to fly to Gatwick from Edinburgh late last night....she was on her way to the airport when she got a message from Easyjet saying the flight was cancelled and as it was the last of the day she was basically stuffed. As she really had to be here, I just booked her on to a BA flight instead - which actually got to Gatwick earlier than her original flight would have done (it was delayed about an hour). Cost me about £200.

There is no compensation under EU rules for weather delays. The airline is only obliged to book you on a later flight, or give you a refund.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
As above.......weather delays seem to be excluded from compensation.

However, a couple of months ago air-traffic controllers strike delayed us in Geneva for two days. Easyjet did NOT pay any compensation but did pay our expenses for the two days of £662.10.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hope it's going to be ok tomorrow morning. Flying from Gatwick at 6am

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There is no compensation under EU rules for weather delays. The airline is only obliged to book you on a later flight, or give you a refund.

How do they determine a weather delay when one airline flys and the other doesn't? Or are Gatwick telling one they can fly and the other not?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
How do they determine a weather delay when one airline flys and the other doesn't? Or are Gatwick telling one they can fly and the other not?
Not sure but I seem to remember hearing something about some planes and or airlines have equipment to enable them to be able to operate in fog better than others.
But I would have thought that easy jet with their modern Airbus fleet would have this.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Depends on whether the airline and the fleet of aircraft type they are flying has CAT III which is full auto take off/landing. If they don’t then fog is an issue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Schedules probably just got too far out of synch - not a question of one or the other. There were delays all day, they just never caught up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure but I seem to remember hearing something about some planes and or airlines have equipment to enable them to be able to operate in fog better than others.
But I would have thought that easy jet with their modern Airbus fleet would have this.

The fleet maybe ok but the airline has to prove to the CAA its procedures and training is all covered before certifying that airline. Than on an individual basis the pilots have to be signed off and finally all three auto pilot systems have to be fully operational before flight on the aircraft.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The pile of boneshaking shit aircraft I flew in with Easyjet this summer felt anything but modern ! Now their check in process is VERY modern .... and great.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The pile of boneshaking shit aircraft I flew in with Easyjet this summer felt anything but modern ! Now their check in process is VERY modern .... and great.

I flew Easy Jet in July from Bristol to Alicante.
All went very well, the A320 was in good nick, and as you say check in was great.
But the sky's are so crowded that if you miss your slot by a few minutes, as we did, you can sit on the stand for ages waiting for another slot, 45 minutes for us.
Oh, and what's all that photo at passport control nonsense all about, at both airports, the queue was twice as slow as it used to be, what happened to the miserable moustached half asleep man not bothering to even look at your passport.
Having said that it is soon to get a lot worse on next year's holidays that's assuming they will even let us in, and assuming the aircraft actually takes off from blighty in the first place.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
These things happen. No point getting your nuts in a twist. People who don’t fly often tend to get upset and demand compo for delayed and cancelled flight. Fair enough, probably saved up for ages to get away. Those of us who fly regularly just chill and make the most of an overnighter. Totally understandable though. It’s annoying but shizzle happens!

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Unfortunately it is still very foggy in Crawley this morning, but I think it should clear up soon.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Having said that it is soon to get a lot worse on next year's holidays that's assuming they will even let us in, and assuming the aircraft actually takes off from blighty in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Why would they not let you in ? is tourism going to stop once we leave the EU .? I think Spain and a few other EU countries would have something to say about that !

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Oh, and what's all that photo at passport control nonsense all about, at both airports, the queue was twice as slow as it used to be, what happened to the miserable moustached half asleep man not bothering to even look at your passport.

You might have seen something in the news about this thing called Brexit.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here