Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ronaldo & Nike

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They pay him $1 billion (BILLION!), knew he was rich but blooming heck that’s a lot of money from just 1 sponsor. I am a little surprised even by footballs silly money standards. What on Earth do you do with such amounts?

LVGull

May 13, 2016
They pay him $1 billion (BILLION!), knew he was rich but blooming heck that’s a lot of money from just 1 sponsor. I am a little surprised even by footballs silly money standards. What on Earth do you do with such amounts?

What is the contract term?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Generally you buy a huge super yacht. Since there is only so much you can spend on a boat you then deck out the interior in the most expensive materials you can find. If you still have some money left over make sure you include a mini submarine in case there is is a kidnap attempt.

Finally you fill it with the best most expensive staff and move it around it a lot to ensure it costs as much money to run in a few years than it cost to construct.

So there you have it. Built your own exclusive hotel and place it in sea water.

Job done.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spends on taxes (when caught), lawyers, PR people, consideration for non-disclosure agreements and heavily publicised donations to the Cristiano Ronaldo Foundation.

Plus LearJet charter fees, to award ceremonies (but only when told in advance that he's the winner).

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
A billion quid....

I'm afraid I have to be honest and say I'd probably end up like a cross between Maradona, John Belushi and Oliver Reed.

I am weak. :banana:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think that contract (and his EA one) are about to be reviewed judging by the press releases they’ve just put out!
Quite, hush money just isn't what it used to be.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45753889

Now apart from his undoubted skill I am no fan of Ronaldo, like most footballers he cheats, he is a cry baby over nothing, and he earns FAR too much money. He is the epitomy of all that is wrong with the beautiful game in many ways.

But WhyTF do his sponsors put out a press statement? The man is proven guilty of nothing, he may well be proven innocent, his accuser could be a serial liar. Facts are what counts in these circumstances, not mealy mouthed marketing led apologies. If he is proven guilty then cancel his contract with immediate effect, if found innocent but the sponsor feels tainted then do not renew the contract. But in the meantime Nike should shut the xxxx up, the fact you pay him so much should be embarrassing enough for your shareholders.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The thing is, now this alleged allegation is in the public domain, it's not going to help either party.
If true the guys finished.
If false, the guys character is tainted.

Absolutely. You don't come back from a rape accusation as a guy (female privilege means they don't have to worry about such trivialities).

The problem as well is that he gave her money in the first place. You don't do that for no reason.

On the plus side for the CR7 crew, he's a rich white guy. They'll have to find a lot of evidence for him to be convicted.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Absolutely. You don't come back from a rape accusation as a guy (female privilege means they don't have to worry about such trivialities).

The problem as well is that he gave her money in the first place. You don't do that for no reason.

On the plus side for the CR7 crew, he's a rich white guy. They'll have to find a lot of evidence for him to be convicted.

On a lighter side, I wonder if his statue at Funchal airport will stay up or if
https://www.ronaldo7.net
will become legitimate :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Now apart from his undoubted skill I am no fan of Ronaldo, like most footballers he cheats, he is a cry baby over nothing, and he earns FAR too much money. He is the epitomy of all that is wrong with the beautiful game in many ways.

But WhyTF do his sponsors put out a press statement? The man is proven guilty of nothing, he may well be proven innocent, his accuser could be a serial liar. Facts are what counts in these circumstances, not mealy mouthed marketing led apologies. If he is proven guilty then cancel his contract with immediate effect, if found innocent but the sponsor feels tainted then do not renew the contract. But in the meantime Nike should shut the xxxx up, the fact you pay him so much should be embarrassing enough for your shareholders.

All these corporations live in dread of a twitter firestorm nowadays, they have to be seen to be keeping the situation 'under review' earlydoors.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

That was my initial thought. However Nike have been stung a few times in recent years when athletes they endorse have done something bad, and they have appeared to be slow to react. By doing this, they are hoping to protect themselves whatever the outcome.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to the BBC report when she first reported the incident in 2009 she did not provide police with the location or a suspect description. Does that mean she did not know who it was or where the incident took place ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45753889

What she knew was enough for a large sum of money to be paid to her. Allegedly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
According to the BBC report when she first reported the incident in 2009 she did not provide police with the location or a suspect description. Does that mean she did not know who it was or where the incident took place ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45753889

If you Google 'Der Spiegel Ronaldo' you'll be offered up a primary link to a pretty comprehensive in-depth lengthy article by half a dozen journalists and quoting names, dates and places. Which may or may not be Fake News. Obviously.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here