Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton's strange pre match comment

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Hughton said: “It seems to be a bit of a habit where teams come to the Amex having hit good form, which is what West Ham have done but it’s probably no surprise.

Sorry but he can't be making excuses already ? I love the man but this is a bit weak.

.....and factually untrue. Spurs and man u were hardly hitting the heights and Fulham had won once. Southampton in the cup, yep, let's pass on that one as well.

Is he feeling the heat ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH always shows respect and builds up the opposition in newspaper articles. Annoying but better than dissing them and winding their manager and players up to try and turn us over. Not giving the opposition an additional spur is good management imo.

It could be very different to what he says in the dressing room though.

We have played last seasons top four, not many teams have had as stiff a test in the first seven games.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hughton said: “It seems to be a bit of a habit where teams come to the Amex having hit good form, which is what West Ham have done but it’s probably no surprise"

Yes it is no surprise that West Ham have hit some form, good manager, good squad, that were under performing.....

He is not waving the white flag with that comment, just telling the truth....

He probably followed that up by the standard
"We have to be at the top of our form, and not let our concentration slip, other wise teams of West Hams quality will punish you, but we are more than capable of competing with them and hopefully with good application getting a positive result"

Standard fair.....

Nothing to see here.....

Least of all a white flag........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We're DOOMED.

Houghton OUT!!!!!

FFS.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
In truth, I think he raises a good point. We do have a habit of playing teams in form, more last season than this so far but it's reasonable to mention it. Not that it matters in the slightest, it's a home game and we're a joke away so this is crucial.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How was the question he was asked worded? Without the full context it's hard to decide. Looks more like he's trying to point out we've beaten other teams coming into form when they've visited.

*edit* which is what Badger Boy is alluding to.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Last season West Brom had 3 wins and a draw from their first 4 games when they played us and Swansea had beaten Liverpool, Arsenal and Burnley in the three games before they played us.

3-1 and 4-1 wins were the outcomes

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Bit like the managers of other teams. We go away to the likes of Liverpool and Man City and their managers say how well organised and efficient we are. That may well be the case but they do not add, they have little to fear as there is little chance of us actually scoring !!!

I must say though that the West Ham game does now look far more difficult than it did a few weeks ago. We need something from it. If we go in front a win. If we go behind, a draw.

No real point in looking to pick holes in Hughton's press conferences. He is articulate and respectful but human. He has been in the game long enough to say the right things to the players at the right time.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Last season West Brom had 3 wins and a draw from their first 4 games when they played us and Swansea had beaten Liverpool, Arsenal and Burnley in the three games before they played us.

Ok this is a fair post.....

SAC

May 21, 2014
In truth, I think he raises a good point. We do have a habit of playing teams in form, more last season than this so far but it's reasonable to mention it. Not that it matters in the slightest, it's a home game and we're a joke away so this is crucial.

Nah, I think it averages out over the season. Off the top of my head, last season was exactly the right time to play Man U and Arsenal at home and West Ham home and away. Tjhe OP is correct that this season it was a good time to play Man U, Spurs and Fulham. Probably the wrong time to play West Ham though but they are so inconsistent, who knows?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

This is a much better way of looking at this type of comment. One word from these results - complacency.

Teams thought oh it’s only Brighton....

Doubt Pellegrini will make the same mistake. Going to be a big ask to beat them tomorrow if CH doesn’t jig the starting XI to be more proactive and front footed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hughton said: “It seems to be a bit of a habit where teams come to the Amex having hit good form, which is what West Ham have done but it’s probably no surprise.

Sorry but he can't be making excuses already ? I love the man but this is a bit weak.

.....and factually untrue. Spurs and man u were hardly hitting the heights and Fulham had won once. Southampton in the cup, yep, let's pass on that one as well.

Is he feeling the heat ?

The heat of gaining 5 points from a set of fixtures where there was only really 3 'targetted' fixtures where we would hope for points.....2 of which were away?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I agree with a previous post that showing a bit of neutrality, honesty and a little respect for opponents is good psychology.

Nothing galvanises an away team more than derisory comments from the opposing teams players or manager. Don't give them the ammo. Let them come to the Amex thinking they're all that, then hit them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here