Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] I have caught a Cold - how?

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I have managed to catch a Cold. I am being a brave soldier and not pretending it's Manflu, it is just a f'''ing Cold.

But how did I get it?

My understanding is that Colds are spread by germs/viruses, but as far as I know, I haven't been near anyone similarly smitten. Colds do seem to appear more as the weather cools, and I have to admit that, during the recent less warm days, I still wore short sleeve shirts and didn't "wrap up properly" as my Mum would have insisted.

What, then, is the medical cause of my temporary discomfort?. Weather or infection? Would pre-emptive alcohol consumption have prevented, minimised or deferred the condition.?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Should have got a mousetrap and put conkers and garlic around your neck , silly billy .

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I believe you can be really contagious before symptoms show.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A sneeze can cover a long distance and coat many surfaces, bacteria in coughs and sneezes can stay alive in the air for up to 45 minutes apparently

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Mrs Cravat will sort you out

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 11.00.39.png

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Nothing to do with wrapping up warm, that's an old wives tale. In colder weather we tend to congregate inside more in public places, helping the spread of the virus.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Nothing to do with wrapping up warm, that's an old wives tale. In colder weather we tend to congregate inside more in public places, helping the spread of the virus.

Is that definitely true? I get the congregating inside thing, that certainly makes some sense. But I thought that things like getting cold, stressed etc lowers resistance so makes it more likely that the germ that just went up your nose or down your throat will be able to establish itself and breed?

The question I have is why am I not permanently ill, given the disgusting noises and activities that surround me on my daily commute.
When did it become Ok to spend a train journey sniffing noisily and repeatedly?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
'Mrs Nose' is senior in the medical profession and has taught infection control for years - so I've had all this drummed into me, as have our kids...

Yes, sneezes and coughs can spread it. Nothing you can do about it as the places we suck the germs in are our 'wet bits' (my words, not hers - i forget the terminology) like your nose lining and eyes. If someone coughs at you, hold your breath and walk away - but don't forget to breathe once you have. Obvs. :)

However, hand washing is THE most effective way of stopping the spread. There's always some tw@t with a cold who sneezes or coughs into their hands, then opens the office door, sandwich or newspaper shop door, grabs a handle on the bus, and so on. You then grab said appendage, touch your nose, mouth, eyes - and bang... you're infected my sunshine.

My wife always washes her hands before eating in a restaurant or at home, after touching door handles, money and so on. Standard soap and water is actually more effective than hand gel (apparently) - but hand gel is always good.

For the record, she last got a cold in about 2013.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
I have managed to catch a Cold. I am being a brave soldier and not pretending it's Manflu, it is just a f'''ing Cold.

But how did I get it?

My understanding is that Colds are spread by germs/viruses, but as far as I know, I haven't been near anyone similarly smitten. Colds do seem to appear more as the weather cools, and I have to admit that, during the recent less warm days, I still wore short sleeve shirts and didn't "wrap up properly" as my Mum would have insisted.

What, then, is the medical cause of my temporary discomfort?. Weather or infection? Would pre-emptive alcohol consumption have prevented, minimised or deferred the condition.?

I've got a cold too. Have you been anywhere near me?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Common bugs are around us all the time - it's when we compromise our immune systems that we get afflicted. Eat well, sleep well, avoid stress (ha ha) basic hygiene - don't over-do the drugs and drink and you should mostly be alright.

Allergies on the other hand are a bitch.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Lots of theories.

Another one is that extra UV light in the summer is somewhat effective at reducing pathogens in the atmosphere and on surfaces.

Erm UV kills bacteria (i.e. not colds).

bacteria find it easier to traverse through the airways of animals and people while they are cooler, so perhaps wrapping up warm does help towards staying well.

As above.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Kind of related....does having the flu jab temporarily lower the overall immune system as it sets about producing a response to the injection?

I got the flu shot last week and have been feeling slightly rough for a couple of days now and showing signs of a cold. I was asked by the nurse giving the shot if I had a cold and at that time I felt fine so answered that I hadn't but now feeling distinctly grotty.

Could the two events be related?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've got a cold too. Have you been anywhere near me?

I must have a virus/cold thing that you have.
I was quite fine, till I went back to work on Sat night, started sneezing and getting a runny nose, on the Sun morning.
I thought great, as has previously been said some tw@t spreading germs :tosser:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

How refreshing to hear someone who has a cold, calling it a cold. It seems where I work there is no such thing everyone with a sniffy nose has 'the 'flu'

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've been feeling under par since my little weekend trip away. On Sunday I could hardly walk up the steps in Salisbury Cathedral.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here