Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] "The Swimmer" 9pm tonight on Talking Pictures. An underappreciated gem of a film.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"The Swimmer" 9pm tonight on Talking Pictures. An underappreciated gem of a film.

I strongly recommend this little known film starring Burt Lancaster which touches on themes of mental illness, identity and self delusion. The first and only time I saw it was over 35 years ago and it left a lasting impression. The story unfolds gradually in little vignettes as Lancaster "swims home" via the various swimming pools of his neighbours and with each stop, both we and he learn a little more about his character and we slowly realise it's far removed from our initial impression and the one Lancaster's character tries to convey. But with each pool stop, he is gradually but reluctantly forced to come to terms with disturbing and uncomfortable truths.

It was a box office flop at the time but has since achieved increasing critical acclaim and has a certain cult status.
It's on tonight at 9pm on the Talking Pictures channel. If you like thought provoking, slightly quirky films that don't fit easily into any hollywood genre then you might like this.
MV5BNjJiMmM1N2MtNTczMS00ZDY5LTg0Y2YtYzQ5YmE3MjMyYjM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0.jpg

https://youtu.be/yIegoQAayFs

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Good spot.

Well worth rewatching
Atlantic City is another Burt Lancaster film I've seen only once over 30 years ago which I've always intended to watch again but never got around to.

Apparently he couldn't really swim before he made The Swimmer and had to have an intensive course to learn in the months before filming started.

Also spot Joan Rivers in her first acting role. She's also in the film trailer.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Swimmer is superb. A real anomaly of film making at the time too.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I strongly recommend this little known film starring Burt Lancaster which touches on themes of mental illness, identity and self delusion. The first and only time I saw it was over 35 years ago and it left a lasting impression. The story unfolds gradually in little vignettes as Lancaster "swims home" via the various swimming pools of his neighbours and with each stop, both we and he learn a little more about his character and we slowly realise it's far removed from our initial impression and the one Lancaster's character tries to convey. But with each pool stop, he is gradually but reluctantly forced to come to terms with disturbing and uncomfortable truths.

It was a box office flop at the time but has since achieved increasing critical acclaim and has a certain cult status.
It's on tonight at 9pm on the Talking Pictures channel. If you like thought provoking, slightly quirky films that don't fit easily into any hollywood genre then you might like this.
View attachment 100979

https://youtu.be/yIegoQAayFs

Well, I watched it. I wouldn't go so far as a underappreciated gem despite it being the sort of film I generally enjoy. But perhaps I'm a bit too knowing nowadays and I was pretty sure where it was going throughout most of his journey. Sign of the times that I felt a little uncomfortable both when he took the babysitter along and the recorder playing boy - but even Mrs Earle gasped 'Oh no, he's going to jump in the empty pool'! Nonetheless, a worthwhile recommendation to pick something worth watching from the trash that counts as TV viewing at the moment.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Absolutely love BL in Local Hero. Now there's another underappreciated gem of a movie.

I don't think it was under appreciated. I think it did ok at the box office considering it was a British movie and Bill Forsyth won a BAFTA for best director with six nominations in other categories including best film.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yeah Local Hero is a great film.

What's the film where BL spies on Susan Sarandon rubbing herself down with lemons? That was good too.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Excellent film.Its been years since I've seen it .I haven't set my Betamax and I'm out now , but the Channel do repeat things.

You're right, it's on again tomorrow at 10.10pm so if you're going out be sure to set your Betamax.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here