[Cricket] 3 Sussex players in England's best XI of last 50 years

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Prior, Snow and Greig ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I genuinely did not look before posting ! sorry to close your thread after one minute.:blush:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dexter in their somewhere? More likely than Snow, who always seems to be ignored/forgotten when people are listing the xx best bowlers/cricketers/fast bowlers, etc. Prior as wicket keeper over parks, I would think, and yes, probably Grieg.

OK, I've looked now! Guess Dexter must have been too early.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I genuinely did not look before posting ! sorry to close your thread after one minute.:blush:

It wasn't difficult: they're the only three Sussex players who have played more than a handful of tests in the last 50 years.

Quite pleased to see Greig there: he was a really under-rated cricketer. Someone who made runs when the going was tough, there aren't many of those around.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It wasn't difficult: they're the only three Sussex players who have played more than a handful of tests in the last 50 years.

Quite pleased to see Greig there: he was a really under-rated cricketer. Someone who made runs when the going was tough, there aren't many of those around.

I remember Greiggy toughing out several partnerships with Alan knott when our top order had collapsed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good to see Tony Greig in, as I assumed that Botham would have been a cert for the all rounder spot.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good to see Tony Greig in, as I assumed that Botham would have been a cert for the all rounder spot.

No way would anyone in their right mind pick Greig over Botham. No honestly, if it was a straight choice.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No way would anyone in their right mind pick Greig over Botham. No honestly, if it was a straight choice.

Difficult call but I think Greig was a better batsman especially when considering how he was targeted by the Windies formidable bowling attack, he was also more of a short spell/change bowler rather than an attacking front line bowler. "Beefy " used to have licence to throw the bat when he batted but Greig often had the responsibility as captain to try to dig England out of many dodgy situations. Both had huge highs and very low lows while playing for England but having seen at first hand how Tony Grieg dominated and destroyed a bowling attack batting for Sussex I can understand the choice.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Difficult call but I think Greig was a better batsman especially when considering how he was targeted by the Windies formidable bowling attack, he was also more of a short spell/change bowler rather than an attacking front line bowler. "Beefy " used to have licence to throw the bat when he batted but Greig often had the responsibility as captain to try to dig England out of many dodgy situations. Both had huge highs and very low lows while playing for England but having seen at first hand how Tony Grieg dominated and destroyed a bowling attack batting for Sussex I can understand the choice.

Greig was a far, far better batsman - not even close. If I had to pick players to battle for England when the going was tough, Greig would be near the top of the list, perhaps only Barrington, in my lifetime, would be higher. It certainly wouldn't be Boycott who went missing any time some tasty fast bowlers appeared.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Babington, Hansford and Andy Clark

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Ye1s, that thought occurred to me too, although some good points have been made for Greig. Similarly, much as I am pro Sussex and like Matt Prior, I'm surprised Alec Stewart wasn't there in the mix.
That 'best team of the last 50 years' though - bearing in mind that Snowy is coming in at number 8, it's got a bloody long tail!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There are three genuine number 11 batsmen in that team - Underwood, Anderson and Willis - and a number 10 - Snow - so the top order have no fallback. Gooch for Amis.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here