Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Recommendations for a cheap car please

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve been tasked with finding my partner a cheap run around. Not knowing much about the latest opinions on such matters, I thought I’d ask for suggestions here...

Budget: £2.5k tops.

Requirements:

Cheap to insure for a new driver
High MPG
Cheap to service/repair
Reliable
Small
Min 4 seats (but 2 door is ok)

Any help would be appreciated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you'll probably want to look at Civic. im a VW man out of habit myself but always looking at the better value and reliability stats for Honda.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Kia Picanto or Hyundai I10

Have a look on autotrader and gumtree for private sale. Bob's your Auntie's live in lover :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’ve been tasked with finding my partner a cheap run around. Not knowing much about the latest opinions on such matters, I thought I’d ask for suggestions here...

Requirements:

High MPG
Cheap to service/repair
Reliable
Small

Didn’t you let slip elsewhere, that you are planning for a baby?

If that’s right, you need 4 doors. Getting a baby in in out of a car seat in a 2 door, is a RIGHT hassle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Didn’t you let slip elsewhere, that you are planning for a baby?

If that’s right, you need 4 doors. Getting a baby in in out of a car seat in a 2 door, is a RIGHT hassle.

Well remembered!

My thinking was that if the occupants were just the good lady doctor her indoors and a sprog, the sprog could go in the front seat in a baby carrier - by the time they’re in need of a booster seat and thus a back seat, we’ll probably be on to another car.

In the meantime, any journey that I partake in with them, well use my car.

All that said, you’re probably right!

Edit: I’ve just been told that it’s now illegal to put a baby seat in the front seat. Who knew?

4 door it is then.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Requirements:

High MPG
Cheap to service/repair
Reliable
Small

del.jpg

Doesn't meet all your criteria but you could always install 2 blow up seats in the rear. :lol:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Requirements:

High MPG
Cheap to service/repair
Reliable
Small

We picked up a 2009 A Class for £2.5k last year. Does about 35/40 MPG, first yr insurance with one of us as a new driver was £740 (might be too much...) and so far it’s been brilliant.

We also had a baby in January and it’s been perfect. Boot allows comfortably for the travel system chassis and it comes with Isofix and plenty of room for the car seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kia Picanto or Hyundai I10

Have a look on autotrader and gumtree for private sale. Bob's your Auntie's live in lover :thumbsup:

I should pass on the I10. Even driven as economically as possible, I struggle to get 35mpg out of mine, even on motorways. 0-60 in five minutes too, unless you use lower gears to get there, which knocks the mpg way down even further.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Requirements:

High MPG
Cheap to service/repair
Reliable
Small

I bet your car requirements are a bit more than this :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well remembered!

My thinking was that if the occupants were just the good lady doctor her indoors and a sprog, the sprog could go in the front seat in a baby carrier - by the time they’re in need of a booster seat and thus a back seat, we’ll probably be on to another car.

In the meantime, any journey that I partake in with them, well use my car.

All that said, you’re probably right!

Edit: I’ve just been told that it’s now illegal to put a baby seat in the front seat. Who knew?

4 door it is then.

I'm with @HKFC on this - 100% get 4 doors if there are sprogs involved. RoSPA don't recommend having infant car seats in the front anyway (and rearward facing child seats are illegal in the front if there's an active airbag)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We're on our second Civic, as you may recall, because the first one was so good in terms of reliability, economy and it's got a bizarrely big boot for a car of its size.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Aygo/C1/107. Gp1 insurance, £20 a year Road Tax, cheap to service/repair, 5 doors available. Great fun to drive, lots of online support from other owners [emoji106][emoji594]

THIS . For a little car they are remarkably spacious and, in my experience, they never go wrong. If all my clients drove the bloody things I'd be looking for another job!.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I should pass on the I10. Even driven as economically as possible, I struggle to get 35mpg out of mine, even on motorways. 0-60 in five minutes too, unless you use lower gears to get there, which knocks the mpg way down even further.

Agree entirely, far too under powered for the size of the car, should have been a 1.6. Nice drive, but not enough power.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Love my 1.4 Polo, great on petrol, 4 door, cheapish on insurance & servicing, plenty of space and got a little umff if needed!

But as others say might stretch to get one on the budget!!

Mine actually coming up for sale in couple of weeks if can stretch the budget by another £2k or so!! PM me if interested!

boik

THIS . For a little car they are remarkably spacious and, in my experience, they never go wrong. If all my clients drove the bloody things I'd be looking for another job!.

Despite the blip with the class action on Prius in the US, Toyotas still top the reliability charts. We've just sold our 2005 Previa (NO faults in 4.5 years) to import a 2003 Alphard from Japan. If anything the older ones are even more reliable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here