Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Library donation [or not]

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I had a very nice book, almost new, that I thought might be a good thing to give to a library
earlier today. Would cost 30 quid in a bookshop.

After waiting for 5 minutes while someone argued the toss about what was or wasn't valid id, I was looking
forward to handing over the tome and doing my bit for the community, albeit in a small way.

"We don't accept donations" was the reply from the Librarian.

I couldn't believe it. So, next time you hear that libraries are struggling badly, don't
hear a word of it. I half expected to find the library toilet rolls to be a wad of £10 notes,
diamond encrusted toilet seats and a gold trim on the towel racks.

Money to burn they have, clearly.

I gave it to a charity shop.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I had to google the word 'library'. besides being a famous football ground, I realised it was a place to store old paper!
Oh, the days before the interweb:)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I had a very nice book, almost new, that I thought might be a good thing to give to a library

After waiting for 5 minutes while someone argued the toss about what was or wasn't valid id, I was looking
forward to handing over the tome and doing my bit for the community, albeit in a small way.

I couldn't believe it. So, next time you hear that libraries are struggling badly, don't
hear a word of it. I half expected to find the library toilet rolls to be a wad of £10 notes,

You could always donate it to one of the million charity shops on my local high street :wink:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
You could always donate it to one of the million charity shops on my local high street :wink:

Ruislip is actually a lovely high street, if I'm not mistaken.

Hey AR - my Dad had a huge amount of carrots off his allotment this year - a bumper crop. Tomatoes and runners
were very, very bad this year, however. Funny how the weather affects the crops so much.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Donate it to a local state school library; they take donations of newish books if of interest to the age group (e.g. sixth form college if not a children's book).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

My library is great, albeit 5 mins away.

I mostly use it for printing as they have 20 odd computers and printers.

I understand why my library wouldn't take donations. It ain't Oxfam.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My library is great, albeit 5 mins away.

I mostly use it for printing as they have 20 odd computers and printers.

I understand why my library wouldn't take donations. It ain't Oxfam.

But I'm not dumping old clothes or tat on them am I. This was a pristine book.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Think it's a shame libraries don't take donations as I'd happily donate to them. Assume they'd have to have someone check it was a pristine book and they don't have the staff to do so. Or is it a "licensing" thing from publishers and they only allow libraries to loan certain versions of books?

I'd decided the best way to support my local libraries was to use them so have been getting lots of books from them. Brighton & Hove libraries have the a scheme where you can reserve a book online and have it delivered to your nearest library. Aso they have Libraries Extra which gives card holders extended access hours to libraries so you pick up/drop off books outside normal opening hours. It's a great service.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I understand but most libraries aren't run like that. They aren't a second hand book shop.

You'd be better off emailing them and asking them if they could make use of the book.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I have to admit as I picked the book up off the counter I rejoined in a loud voice with "oh I'll just put in the bin then"
[I was more than a little miffed]

The said librarian didn't like that, one little bit.
[I did give it to the charity shop next door]

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ruislip is actually a lovely high street, if I'm not mistaken.

Hey AR - my Dad had a huge amount of carrots off his allotment this year - a bumper crop. Tomatoes and runners
were very, very bad this year, however. Funny how the weather affects the crops so much.

Same here, toms were great but runners were very sparse, even though we did water well!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
As an aside - how many people on here still use public libraries for research or to borrow books? I can't remember the last time I went into a library, indeed I'm not even sure where the Brighton one is as I haven't been there since it used to be in the Dome / Corn Exchange complex. If people (like Clapham) are only going in to use the computers is it possible that councils can save money by scrapping all the books, concentrating on digital media and downsizing the premises?

(I'm guessing that given the conservative, reactionary nature of us Brits any such proposal would be met with howls of outrage, even though public libraries are no longer the vitally important utilities they once were)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As an aside - how many people on here still use public libraries for research or to borrow books? I can't remember the last time I went into a library, indeed I'm not even sure where the Brighton one is as I haven't been there since it used to be in the Dome / Corn Exchange complex. If people (like Clapham) are only going in to use the computers is it possible that councils can save money by scrapping all the books, concentrating on digital media and downsizing the premises?

(I'm guessing that given the conservative, reactionary nature of us Brits any such proposal would be met with howls of outrage, even though public libraries are no longer the vitally important utilities they once were)

B*ll*x, Brighton Library is always busy! And it's on that square near the Prince Regent pool.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I took a bag of books to the first charity shop I came to and they said they no longer take books. Luckily the next one did

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

We use our local library a lot and they are always busy. They do a book and audio book ordering service, large print books and often hold story times for the local schools etc. No way should they be scrapped or downsized. They should be expanded.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

I go to the library most weeks to borrow books for me and talking books for my Mother-in-Law who has recently gone blind. I would go more but cuts have meant that my local library has reduced hours over the weekend making it more difficult to visit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here