Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robbie Savage's 6 games at Brighton "saved his life"

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He talks , with a fair bit of self deprecation and honesty about his loan spell at Brighton in the new 5Live Ping Pong Guy podcast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06m1hm1

"I was rubbish, i couldn't run, all my game had to change or i was finished at 33.. so i went to Brighton."
Talks about turning up in his white convertible Lamborghini...and how Albion paid £1K of his £23K a week salary....
Albion bit starts at about 25 mins in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the guy is a bell-end

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

As others have said - in the podcast he’s very honest and self aware , acknowledges he had this almost panto image and is sharp on issues like mental health and depression for footballers. He’s also done some good work coaching grassroots kids football.
His media punditry is obviously exaggerated but behind that there’s a much more likeable and even shy character that the pod helps you warm to. (Well not everyone thinks that obviously !)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As others have said - in the podcast he’s very honest and self aware , acknowledges he had this almost panto image and is sharp on issues like mental health and depression for footballers. He’s also done some good work coaching grassroots kids football.
His media punditry is obviously exaggerated but behind that there’s a much more likeable and even shy character that the pod helps you warm to. (Well not everyone thinks that obviously !)

I like him. I thought he was a knob before he started doing that podcast, but it completely changed my opinion of him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he was trying to fit in at the Albion turning up in a Lambo wasn’t the brightest thing to do imo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On 5live he’s always joked about he and the Albion players spent that period nightclubbing and other unmentionables regarding ‘playing away’. He has fond memories of his time in Brighton for boozing and other activities.

I wonder who his fellow boozers/lotharios were?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Like others have said, I suspect you don’t actually know much about him beyond the high-profile panto-villain image he had during his playing days. I get why that may well have put you off and have put the bell-end tag on him, which is a shame.

I enjoy hearing him talking about the game, both in terms of when he was playing and how it is now. He’s often direct but I also think he’s pretty fair - he doesn’t do what some modern pundits do and always take a contrarian view for the sake of being controversial.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On 5live he’s always joked about he and the Albion players spent that period nightclubbing and other unmentionables regarding ‘playing away’. He has fond memories of his time in Brighton for boozing and other activities.

I wonder who his fellow boozers/lotharios were?

Most of the wasters in that Micky Adams team, the City win apart those were grim days. Losing to a 9 man Walsall at Withdean being the nadir

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s not so much his flamboyance and panto image, it’s more the way he carried on when he was on that 606 program. Whenever challenged he’d often he’d shout down the caller, and when he was backed into a corner he’d always without fail use the “you haven’t played the game” card. He actually asked one caller what level he’d played at, then mocked the caller who clearly wasn’t worthy of an opinion because he’d only played county league or whatever. He rarely, if ever, listened, and always had the view he was correct. At best he was blokish and boorish, at worst a bit of a bully. I’d like to know how long he lasted in that particular show. If he’s still doing it he must have piped down a lot.

If he has changed then fine, but I won’t be wasting any time trying to find out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just looked him up and he still presents 606.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like others have said, I suspect you don’t actually know much about him beyond the high-profile pants-villain image he had during his playing days. I get why that may well have put you off and have put the bell-end tag on him, which is a shame.

I enjoy hearing him talking about the game, both in terms of when he was playing and how it is now. He’s often direct but I also think he’s pretty fair - he doesn’t do what some modern pundits do and always take a contrarian view for the sake of being controversial.

I hear you. I listened to him about three times on 606, admittedly some time ago possibly when he first started, and found him quite off-putting for the reasons I give above. He still presents the show so he must have adapted his style as I’d be surprised he would be allowed to continue like he did.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The other week on his breakfast show his own mum said he was rubbish when he was at Brighton.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It’s not so much his flamboyance and panto image, it’s more the way he carried on when he was on that 606 program. Whenever challenged he’d often he’d shout down the caller, and when he was backed into a corner he’d always without fail use the “you haven’t played the game” card. He actually asked one caller what level he’d played at, then mocked the caller who clearly wasn’t worthy of an opinion because he’d only played county league or whatever. He rarely, if ever, listened, and always had the view he was correct. At best he was blokish and boorish, at worst a bit of a bully. I’d like to know how long he lasted in that particular show. If he’s still doing it he must have piped down a lot.

If he has changed then fine, but I won’t be wasting any time trying to find out.

I thought along exactly the same lines and is the main reason I haven’t bothered with 606 for a while now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I hear you. I listened to him about three times on 606, admittedly some time ago possibly when he first started, and found him quite off-putting for the reasons I give above. He still presents the show so he must have adapted his style as I’d be surprised he would be allowed to continue like he did.

This podcast with Freddie Flintoff and Matthew Syed is a very different type of show to 606. Its blokey obviously but the tone is a lot more sober, warmer and Savage in particular puts aside that over the top punditry persona and recalls the truth behind his varied career. Which he is brutally honest about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here