Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Portsmouth dock yard.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hello everyone

Bit of light relief from brexit and losing yesterday

Went down to,Pompey today to go to gun wharf keys for some retail therapy and whilst there we visited possibly the finest piece of modern production in a museum

The Mary Rose exhibition is the most incredible place and in a lot of these type of places, a quick visit through to see the sights etc and then off to the pub. But we were inside the exhibition for at least two hours and it was absolutely incredible.

Many years ago we went on a camping trip with our girls to Carnac in France where we went to an exhibition of the ancient stones, but they turned it into a theatrical event with light shows and laser shows etc. We thought that was cutting edge, but this Mary rose exhibition is on a par with that.

If you get a chance, don't just do the shops at gun wharf...which are excellent, but do go to the Mary rose exhibition.....you won't regret it and the kids will love it.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Last time I went there they were part way through building that. Thanks for reminding me! That's the next shopping and 'cultural' trip with the Mrs sorted :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It’s great. Cost about £60 for a family of four and you get to go as many times as you like. We’ve got two whole days worth already. Mary Rose not included though

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Oh, we did the Bayeux Tapestry last month. Absolutely awesome. A must see when it gets here

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Don't forget HMS Victory and HMS Warrior - both well worth a visit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It’s great. Cost about £60 for a family of four and you get to go as many times as you like. We’ve got two whole days worth already. Mary Rose not included though

No that is right mate, the Mary rose exhibition is a separate charge...we paid 17.50 each for a years visiting rights. Well worth it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't forget HMS Victory and HMS Warrior - both well worth a visit.

Totally agree.

I make wooden model ships and next to warrior is the refurbishment boat yard and it is so strange to see what I do in 1:1 scale.

One of mine in 1:80 scale. My pride and joy which took me Nearly a year. IMG_0119.JPG

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can you clarify a bit because the bit about laser shows at carnac is massively outputting to me having been to carnac and experienced the stones in their majesty and found them awe inspiring. A laser show sounds dreadful.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Totally agree.

I make wooden model ships and next to warrior is the refurbishment boat yard and it is so strange to see what I do in 1:1 scale.

One of mine in 1:80 scale. My pride and joy which took me Nearly a year. View attachment 100810

Have you thought about

1) burying that in the garden for a few years
2) pretend to "rediscover it"
3) place on your kitchen window sill
4) routinely spray with water for the next ten years ?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Went there many many years ago. Just after it was open to the public. Couldn't see a thing because the water misting had gone berserk, just like a good old pea souper fog. When we asked for our money back we were laughed out the building. May I add we were not alone in asking for a refund. But the Victory made up for it. Especially when the guide asked if there were any Americans in the group, when some hooted and hollered like they are prone to do, he said he would speak slowly for them.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Went there many many years ago. Just after it was open to the public. Couldn't see a thing because the water misting had gone berserk, just like a good old pea souper fog. When we asked for our money back we were laughed out the building. May I add we were not alone in asking for a refund. But the Victory made up for it. Especially when the guide asked if there were any Americans in the group, when some hooted and hollered like they are prone to do, he said he would speak slowly for them.

You don't get the misting now, just a superb view of the whole remains of the trip. I've been a couple of times since the new building has been opened - the first time it wasn't totally finished and the not was sealed off with lots of Windows to look through, but all that has been removed now. And the detail of the descriptions and smaller displays is superb.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Next time anyone is down there pop across on the Gosport Ferry and visit the Submarine Museum
You get a walk through on the Alliance and loads of interesting stuff to see as well

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Next time anyone is down there pop across on the Gosport Ferry and visit the Submarine Museum
You get a walk through on the Alliance and loads of interesting stuff to see as well

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
I'd echo this, the Submarine Museum and HMS Alliance are certainly worth looking around if Naval history is your thing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hello everyone

Bit of light relief from brexit and losing yesterday

Went down to,Pompey today to go to gun wharf keys for some retail therapy and whilst there we visited possibly the finest piece of modern production in a museum

The Mary Rose exhibition is the most incredible place and in a lot of these type of places, a quick visit through to see the sights etc and then off to the pub. But we were inside the exhibition for at least two hours and it was absolutely incredible.

Many years ago we went on a camping trip with our girls to Carnac in France where we went to an exhibition of the ancient stones, but they turned it into a theatrical event with light shows and laser shows etc. We thought that was cutting edge, but this Mary rose exhibition is on a par with that.

If you get a chance, don't just do the shops at gun wharf...which are excellent, but do go to the Mary rose exhibition.....you won't regret it and the kids will love it.

Did the same thing at Carnac (Just outside our Eurocamp place)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

I spent a year(85) as a guide on the victory and baiting our colonial friends was a much needed light relief.
The volunteers on the Mary Rose were to a man and women f*cking obnoxious, a very unpleasant bunch. They also didn’t like playing second fiddle to the Victory and would if given a chance, slagged her off. Now being a guide on the victory was a sh*t draft however she was my ship and so these twats really pissed me off.
Saying all of that the new exhibition is stunning a certainly worth the visit, as is the Victory and the rest of the dockyard.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here