Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newhaven v Little Common by TMISOTBG

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I found this a great read IMO, especially finding out that George Best played for Newhaven as a guest player. :thumbsup:

Sussex is not an area of the UK we have been shy in visiting in the past, the tall stone pillars that welcome you to Brighton, are soon whizzing past us and in what feels like no time at all and soon we are only a few miles of narrow tree lined roads, filled with dappled sunlight cast by lush green trees, away from today’s ground.

I can see it, its floodlights and main stand, but I just can’t seem to be able to get close to it. Every turn we take, just takes us further away. I’ve given up on my Sat Nav, her instructions keep taking us back to a place called Bravo One Field Sports, and when I think I’ve cracked it, I end up in a gravel car park, with nowhere else to go than back the way I came.

Mounting the curb and on to the grass verge, thankfully the nearby Saturday morning tennis game don’t really bat an eyelid, I think we’ve found the way in. There is a distinct lack of signage, and no visible turnstiles, so I’ve just adopted a bit of a do as others do attitude, parking under a tree, on the side of what might be insulting to gravel tracks, if I called it that, to the rear of the main stand of Fort Road, home of Newhaven FC (NFC).

The makeshift metal gate is already slightly ajar so I don’t feel too bad squeezing through the gap, if its open, it’s not technically trespassing is it? The wood chip underfoot reminds me of a child’s playground and heading down the side of the stand we finally see the pitch, dugouts, sprinklers and the banks of green seats, that I have been reliably informed were once part of Brighton’s old ground Withdean, that line the edge of the pitch.

Guided by Martin, NFC’s chairman, he leads us to the low ceilinged, dark panelled clubhouse in the bowels of the stand, a marked improvement on the old one, which was a run down green portacabin. One corner is gleaming with silverware filled cabinets, next to which a bobble hat and a clubs shirt have been pinned to a cork board. The shirt yours for £25.00

More >>>>http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2018/09/big-ships-boardroom-cake-tmisotbg-head-newhaven/

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think they enjoyed seeing the ferry come in, the photo in the link of the pitch with the ferry in the background isn't from the game covered.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Newhaven’s one of those places where every third person seems to own a mobility scooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Newhaven’s one of those places where every third person seems to own a mobility scooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the home town of me, my brother and my father...who’s in a wheelchair. Good call! :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I regularly read that blog and very much it. They've covered Eastbourne Town and Whitehawk matches before too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here