Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Conkers

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Based on the amount lying around seems like a bumper year. Or is it just that kids nowadays have better things to do than pick them up?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Could this mean an end to the Daz Doorstep Challenge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-63177653

bonk.jpg

First spiders, now detergent. Bonkers Conkers mate!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My son plays conkers through his virtual reality headset. There is no danger of being hurt by flying debris. However, he won't be able to play today as we have to pop into town to find out what's causing the problem with his vision...and also why he seems so stressed and hyper all the time:shrug:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Loads of them but not more than last year BUT we have tons of beech nuts way more than ever before, damn difficult to get up off the lawn.......but we get wood pigeons and various crows types eating the seeds so that's good.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loads of them but not more than last year BUT we have tons of beech nuts way more than ever before, damn difficult to get up off the lawn.......but we get wood pigeons and various crows types eating the seeds so that's good.

A lot of Acorns about too. Seems to be a mast year.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just looked up mast year!! I thought it might be global warming, as the trees were under stress, producing loads of seeds before they die!

The early Autumn we had this year was definitely trees under stress due to the drought. I have a photo somewhere of a local Woods I was walking through in August, covered in leaf litter just like Autumn.

But no, Mast years are a thing that has always been a part of trees and plants natural life cycles.

Funnily enough, when I was younger I did once mistake the droopy nature of Conker tree leaves as a sign they were thirsty due to hot dry weather :blush:. It is of course just the way there are, always.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There are loads this year.
Shame the horse chestnuts seem to be diseased right across the country now :(
This is why they have yellowed particularly early - they now start to go yellow almost as soon as they sprout in the spring.

Last edited:

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I was in Germany the first week of September and their Autumn seemed to have arrived even earlier than ours. There were masses of conkers laying on the ground all over the place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here