Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Last Days In Vietnam

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Available on BBC iplayer look up Storyville - Last Days In Vietnam. No commentary just the story behind the evacuation and the lead up to it via film and people who were there. As a person of a certain age (63) I was very interested in this. For others it may be a complete waste of time. Watch for the brave Chanook pilot and the dumping of small helicopters.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Was at Da Nang for evacuation. Crossed my mind more than once, if captured ashore, how do I explain that, yes I know I look like an American but please take notice of the subtle difference between our uniforms before being shot out of hand. Only saw our role mentioned once in history book and they managed to spell our ships name wrong. There were questions asked in parliament apparenty. ie wtf are they doing there. I'm also 63. Was nnnnnineteen at the time

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Available on BBC iplayer look up Storyville - Last Days In Vietnam. No commentary just the story behind the evacuation and the lead up to it via film and people who were there. As a person of a certain age (63) I was very interested in this. For others it may be a complete waste of time. Watch for the brave Chanook pilot and the dumping of small helicopters.

Very good ta :thumbsup:
Do you think the intro music sounded like the beginning to Ultravox Vienna song?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was at Da Nang for evacuation. Crossed my mind more than once, if captured ashore, how do I explain that, yes I know I look like an American but please take notice of the subtle difference between our uniforms before being shot out of hand. Only saw our role mentioned once in history book and they managed to spell our ships name wrong. There were questions asked in parliament apparenty. ie wtf are they doing there. I'm also 63. Was nnnnnineteen at the time

I had no idea that we were there, it hasn’t been well publicised has it?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've watched that before. Compelling viewing. The first war with wall to wall independent TV news coverage, so interesting to see the chaos of the ending, the rearguard action and the desparation to be on one of those last helicopters out.

When Vietnam 'westernised' a couple of decades later, it made the deaths of 3.5 million seem all the more pointless.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I've watched that before. Compelling viewing. The first war with wall to wall independent TV news coverage, so interesting to see the chaos of the ending, the rearguard action and the desparation to be on one of those last helicopters out.

When Vietnam 'westernised' a couple of decades later, it made the deaths of 3.5 million seem all the more pointless.

Not sure the good people of Hanoi would agree with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here