Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jack's

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just seen this preview of Tescos new discount supermarket on This Morning, called Jack's.
Raving on how they're saving the customer money, by keeping produce still in its containers, that it arrived in, and basic labelling, not adding any cost to the customer.
Aren't Lidls and Aldi already doing this? (other stores are available)

We've had 'bogof'
Now we're being subjected to 'wigig' :shootself

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't know why,but I have a suspicion that Aldi will do a better job, as they've been at it longer.Good luck to them for trying though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I wish the government would ban all unnecessary packaging on food.

When I'm abroad in Europe I love going into the supermarket and picking from the piles of fresh fruit and veg. Their fish and meat counters are amazing as well, so much fresher than the packet stuff you get over here.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wish the government would ban all unnecessary packaging on food.

When I'm abroad in Europe I love going into the supermarket and picking from the piles of fresh fruit and veg. Their fish and meat counters are amazing as well, so much fresher than the packet stuff you get over here.

Agreed.

I bought some chocolate fudge from M&S yesterday (whole range of chocs for £2 a go).

The fudge was in a sealed foiled bag, contained in a cardboard box with plastic film outer casing. Totally unnecessary.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed.

I bought some chocolate fudge from M&S yesterday (whole range of chocs for £2 a go).

The fudge was in a sealed foiled bag, contained in a cardboard box with plastic film outer casing. Totally unnecessary.

Keeping the fudge packers in a job though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Agreed.

On the other side of the scale you always see bread rolls and cakes/cookies on the shelves with no packaging, I would never buy these after 1,000 customers before me had coughed, sneezed and touched those food items. I'm amazed supermarkets can sell these foodstuff like that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On the other side of the scale you always see bread rolls and cakes/cookies on the shelves with no packaging, I would never buy these after 1,000 customers before me had coughed, sneezed and touched those food items. I'm amazed supermarkets can sell these foodstuff like that.

Exactly right, you would've thought the M&S food gurus might have got that one sorted.
A new range of cakes that comes with added cough and bile!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Exactly right, you would've thought the M&S food gurus might have got that one sorted.
A new range of cakes that comes with added cough and bile!

I asked a young girl in Morrisons if they stocked ‘dead fly bisciuts’ the other day. She looked at me like I was mad. I mean what do they call them nowadays then ?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I asked a young girl in Morrisons if they stocked ‘dead fly bisciuts’ the other day. She looked at me like I was mad. I mean what do they call them nowadays then ?

Gary Baldy

snn3021glit-620g_1663687a.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thoughts like that never even cross my mind. What a strange thing to worry about. I take it pick and mix sweets, unpackaged vegetables and anything else that someone might have breathed near are off the menu too?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just seen this preview of Tescos new discount supermarket on This Morning, called Jack's.
Raving on how they're saving the customer money, by keeping produce still in its containers, that it arrived in, and basic labelling, not adding any cost to the customer.
Aren't Lidls and Aldi already doing this? (other stores are available)

We've had 'bogof'
Now we're being subjected to 'wigig' :shootself

Lidls certainly do. I saw someone on Breakfast Tv yesterday talking about this, saying it will be local produce, but Lidls also do that. British produce is marked as such.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If it's supposed to be as good quality but cheaper than Tesco's then why should anyone continue to shop at Tesco's? Have they thought this one through? [emoji23]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thoughts like that never even cross my mind. What a strange thing to worry about. I take it pick and mix sweets, unpackaged vegetables and anything else that someone might have breathed near are off the menu too?

Pick and mix sweets are behind covers which are lifted and fruit and veg are normally washed/peeled before eating. I'm quite happy to lift up a lid but a donut sitting on an open shelf at head height, nah.

It probably goes back to a barbecue we did for lots of our neighbours 10 years or so ago. One neighbour had her grandchildren visiting so they came as well. There were a load of freshly cooked sausages and burgers as well as salad etc on the table waiting to be eaten. One grandchild goes to the table and while looking at the meat does a massive sneeze. As you can imagine snot went everywhere.

Would you eat peanuts at a bar which you didn't see placed in front of you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aren't Lidls and Aldi already doing this?

It's patently a half-arsed knee-jerk attempt to stem the losses from LIDL and ALDI by a panicked management who need to be seen to be doing SOMETHING. Almost certainly doomed to failure unless they go large and consistently undercut the two afore-mentioned masters of the retail art. It's about as rubbish as all ye olde established UK brewers hopelessly rushing craft beers to market as their market share gets increasingly dented. Harveys pitifully-insipid IPA is a prime example.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If it's supposed to be as good quality but cheaper than Tesco's then why should anyone continue to shop at Tesco's? Have they thought this one through? [emoji23]

Jacks will only stock a very limited range of lines, unlike the vast choice you get in the Tesco stores.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's patently a half-arsed knee-jerk attempt to stem the losses from LIDL and ALDI by a panicked management who need to be seen to be doing SOMETHING. Almost certainly doomed to failure unless they go large and consistently undercut the two afore-mentioned masters of the retail art. It's about as rubbish as all ye olde established UK brewers hopelessly rushing craft beers to market as their market share gets increasingly dented. Harveys pitifully-insipid IPA is a prime example.

Can't agree with your 'half-arsed and knee-jerk' comments.
Tesco management under the leadership of 'Drastic Dave Lewis' have gone a long way to restore the company's reputation and so far have made a good fist of it as the profits and share price show.I don't think panic is in his vocabulary, but yes, retail has changed and the discounters have nicked a substantial amount of market share from the established operators.It remains to be seen how successful the rollout of this new format will be, but the management obviously think it is worth a go.
And yes, I am a shareholder in Tesco!:D
Can't speak for Harvey's IPA as I have never tried it. Of the several so called craft beers I have tried, I reckon only a small percentage are worth the price charged, but hey-ho each to their own.:cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here