Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it only in the North?
    In the WSU in the single beer hut near the middle steps. Sadly they had an empty keg at halftime on Saturday!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      I'm all for choice, but wow, this is an explosion.
      Call me a cynic, but rather like the proliferation of 'artisan' gins often selling at much higher prices than the 'brands', I do wonder that, in some instances, a hell of a lot of drinkers may be paying rather a lot of dosh for a mediocre product that somewhere features the word 'craft' along the way.
      Anyway, no harm done; each to their own and it is good to see pubs and bars opening rather than closing.

Cheers

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BLOCK F View Post
      Call me a cynic, but rather like the proliferation of 'artisan' gins often selling at much higher prices than the 'brands', I do wonder that, in some instances, a hell of a lot of drinkers may be paying rather a lot of dosh for a mediocre product that somewhere features the word 'craft' along the way.
      Anyway, no harm done; each to their own and it is good to see pubs and bars opening rather than closing.

Cheers
      If you don’t know much about the scene you will almost certainly get stung. Small brewers with a good product will generally cost more due to economies of scale and the simple fact better and/more ingredients and time spent making it (eg dry hopping, Barrel aging ). But where you will definitely get stung is with all the commercially mass made beers which are now prefixed with the term craft and priced to match those in my previous sentence.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

0 Not allowed!

Cheers
      This! more choice is great, if you dont like it, go somewhere else, simples.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      If you don’t know much about the scene you will almost certainly get stung. Small brewers with a good product will generally cost more due to economies of scale and the simple fact better and/more ingredients and time spent making it (eg dry hopping, Barrel aging ). But where you will definitely get stung is with all the commercially mass made beers which are now prefixed with the term craft and priced to match those in my previous sentence.
      I wouldn't disagree with that.
      Good beer is very close to my heart and as someone who spent almost the whole of my working life in the brewing industry, so it should be.
      In the good old days, Draught Bass was always dry hopped and was a great beer.
      Out of interest, what are some of your favourite German beers?

1 Not allowed!
      I wouldn't disagree with that.
      Good beer is very close to my heart and as someone who spent almost the whole of my working life in the brewing industry, so it should be.
      In the good old days, Draught Bass was always dry hopped and was a great beer.
      Out of interest, what are some of your favourite German beers?
      Of the big brands Augustine, which basically only has two beers outside of Munich, has a lovely standard helles and a slightly sweeter premium version called Edelstof. Both are good but their lesser seen pils is exactly how I like a pils: crisp, dry, nice balance of bitter and grassy notes. Rothaus Pils is bloody good as well and won a UK v Germany blind tasting competition I organized some time ago. Incidentally we ran three tastings and Meantime won twice. A nice go-to is Flensburger. These are the traditional and local breweries of which Berlin doesn’t really have much of a scene.

But, an up and coming craft brewer is Fuerst und Wiacek. They concentrate on IPAs and pales but boy are they good. They are now starting to hit the international scene and they have been spotted in Brighton. The owners are former brewers from Chicago’s Half Acre and Beavertown. It’s clear from those CVs why they are so good. They went from 0 to being sold in Mikkeller in 6 months. In my mind that’s impressive.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
      Of the big brands Augustine, which basically only has two beers outside of Munich, has a lovely standard helles and a slightly sweeter premium version called Edelstof. Both are good but their lesser seen pils is exactly how I like a pils: crisp, dry, nice balance of bitter and grassy notes. Rothaus Pils is bloody good as well and won a UK v Germany blind tasting competition I organized some time ago. Incidentally we ran three tastings and Meantime won twice. A nice go-to is Flensburger. These are the traditional and local breweries of which Berlin doesn’t really have much of a scene.

But, an up and coming craft brewer is Fuerst und Wiacek. They concentrate on IPAs and pales but boy are they good. They are all starting to hit the international scene and they have been spotted in Brighton. The owners are former brewers from Chicago’s Half Acre and Beavertown. It’s clear why they are so good. They went from 0 to being sold in Mikkeller in 6 months.
      Ahh, Edelstof; my wife's favourite beer that we enjoyed in the Augustiner Haus in Munich a few years back!
      I'll have to look out for the Fuerst und Wiacek beers you mention.
      Prost!

0 Not allowed!
      Why is Holler now Unbarred?
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      West.
      Conservative Club, Shoreham I reckon?
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by MattBackHome View Post
      Why is Holler now Unbarred?
      Oh missed that. I'm not keen on unbarred. Expensive, too sweet.