Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Testimonials

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I suddenly thought today that you just don't get testimonials anymore. Well at least we don't. Last one was Kuipers I think. Presumably this is because players are so vastly paid these days that there is no need for it?

However I still think for some players they deserve the big send off that this gives them and I wondered whether they could still do and give the money to charity? Does this happen elsewhere?

Or perhaps do games for players from a while ago who perhaps didn't do so well out of football then? I think it might be quite well supported if done right.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I think it was always after ten years at a club? So nobody would have been eligible since?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think it was always after ten years at a club? So nobody would have been eligible since?

Good point. Bobby Z in two spells? No I guess he is short actually.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Modern players are millionaires, they don't really need 50k to pay off a mortgage
/start a non football business or pay off gambling/drinking debts

Jimmy Case was the last one I went to at the Goldstone.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Modern players are millionaires, they don't really need 50k to pay off a mortgage
/start a non football business or pay off gambling/drinking debts

Jimmy Case was the last one I went to at the Goldstone.

It has been known that modern day footballers who are millionaires and don't need the extra cash, to have their testamonial and donate the receipts to charidee. Admittedly there are too few players who rack up 10 years service these days.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
THere are still a few at other clubs, sure Wayne Rooney had one at Old Trafford a couple of years ago and give 50% of the proceeds to charity.

Oct 25, 2003
Kerry Mayo had one didn’t he? And I remember one for Malcolm Stuart and our kit man who’s name I have shamefully forgotten- that was against Charlton at Withdean

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Kerry Mayo had one didn’t he? And I remember one for Malcolm Stuart and our kit man who’s name I have shamefully forgotten- that was against Charlton at Withdean

Gary Harts testimonial was against Charlton, I seem to remember Kerry’s was against Reading

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
THere are still a few at other clubs, sure Wayne Rooney had one at Old Trafford a couple of years ago and give 50% of the proceeds to charity.

Rooney's was after 12 years at OT, and he donated all the proceeds to charity. Think the trend (if that's what it is) was started by Niall Quinn - recall he raised over £1m for charity from his and since then a few others have followed suit - Carragher definitely raised a load for his own charity and Gerrard had one as well (against Olimpiakos). There were a few grumblings from Chelsea fans that Lampard wasn't given one I think (and Lampard himself made a statement to the same effect when he left). Definitely doesn't seem to be as many these days though - guess it's due to players being far less likely to stay at one club for any length of time as stated.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
There aren't many players with 10 years' current service at a Premier League club:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/treustespieler/wettbewerb/GB1

Capture.PNG

(Lewis Dunk is equal with Chris Smalling)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Unofficially it was 10 years service, but ‘as and when’ deemed appropriate is more recently the case.
Ie. Jimmy Case didn’t rack up 10 years in his two spells but still got one. (Great game though)
Wasn’t Ian Chapman promised one as well?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maybe there was a case in Mayos era but would now never support . Still havent got over Joyce of Sussex was given one when in the last year decided not to play for Sussex.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here