Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we got a post-Murray strategy?

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
We all know Glenn can't go on for ever - which has got me thinking, what's the long-term plan for when the Cumbrian Messi fades off the scene.

I presume that having spend biggish on Locadia and Andone the intention is to gradually ease one or other of them into the striker position over the next 12 months. But can either of them actually do the job Muzza does? i.e. hold it up, bully defenders and finish when he gets the service. From what I know about them, both Locadia and Andone are players who look to run in behind the defence, not play with back to goal when they need to.

So - what's Chris's long-term plan?

1. Coach Locadia or Andone to play the Murray way?
2. Buy another striker who plays the Murray way/
3. Change the way we play so we don't rely on a target man?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gonna be a HUGE miss. I think we have to really spend big in Jan or next summer if we want another striker with as many great attributes as Glenn.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Knowing that most of us haven't a clue about Andone, I'm guessing he's there for a reason.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think the plan is to try and eek and couple more seasons out of Murray, if that doesn't work then, either option 2 or 3. The purchase of Andone in particular, suggests part of the plan might be moving away from a target man. Don't think option 1 seems that feasible

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Both Locadia and Andone are under what is said to be peak age as is Tau & Arce so I am expecting them to be the immediate future over the next couple of seasons to see if they have what it takes. Failing that then obviously a replacement will be sort probably the season after Murray's eventual retirement. We also have a couple of bright sparks in the U23's who will come through at some stage I hope.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Let's hope we're not pinning our hopes on Locadia! If we do, I think it's a future in the Championship.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
YES

Once he stops scoring goals he will be out the door - The ball is therefore firmly in Glenn's court

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the wisest and most knowledgeable posters on here said words to the effect:-

'If Murray starts this season, we're as good as relegated'.

Wise words, wise words indeed.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Teddy Sheringham played at the top level until he was 40.

North thing to worry about.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Suspect that Murray will be our main striker for this season and next especially if Locadia doesn't make an impression this season. If that happens then I suspect Jurgen would be sold next summer and another brought in over that transfer window to either support Andone/Murray in 2019/20 or be Murray's potential replacement in 2 years time.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's hope we're not pinning our hopes on Locadia! If we do, I think it's a future in the Championship.
The only thing that prevents me from giving up on Locadia completely is the fact that Hughton doesn't. That's good enough for me (for now). Plus, I'm actually quite impressed with the fact Locadia hasn't gone whinging to the press over his lack of starts. I want to believe he can contribute, and the manager is someone I trust.

Maybe Locadia needs one to go in off his arse, then when he has to start a game, he grabs his opportunity. We can all see that lack of game time and confidence are affecting him badly.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I think locadia needs a loan move to play regularly and get used to English football, then we could see if he is cut out for it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Suspect that Murray will be our main striker for this season and next especially if Locadia doesn't make an impression this season. If that happens then I suspect Jurgen would be sold next summer and another brought in over that transfer window to either support Andone/Murray in 2019/20 or be Murray's potential replacement in 2 years time.
In two years Gyokeres or Connolly might be ready to step up - or Tilley for that matter.

Alternatively, we might go for plan B (which is to keep going with plan A in case it works).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We may have to upgrade other areas to compensate.

It feels like it's almost impossible to bring a 15 goal a season striker in for less than 50 million. Take tosun at Everton, 30 million, even looks a bit like glen Murray , but not as good a player. The premier league is littered with expensive strikers that struggle to score.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Locadia desperately needs game time and not to have to come on for 10 minutes when the match has turned messy and frenetic.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The problem is that you have no idea whether a striker is any good or not until he actually plays. Scouting will only take you so far.

Murray should have cost far more based on his performances and Locadia lot less. I’m encouraged on here that some have seen Andone play because I wasn’t sure he actually existed.

I don’t think we can have a post Murray strategy as the back up strikers are totally unproven at this level. The only way to find out is to play them in games and see what best suits. And at the moment one isn’t good enough and the other not fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
In two years Gyokeres or Connolly might be ready to step up - or Tilley for that matter.

Alternatively, we might go for plan B (which is to keep going with plan A in case it works).

I think the club probably have several plans running concurrently which includes Locadia; Gyokeres or other youth player coming through plus tracking any number of players we've never heard of.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here