Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Burnley Match Day Hero - Proud Volunteer or Stewarding For Free?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like Burnley's plans to use volunteers in some stewarding roles who will be "well looked after" but "may not see all of the game they are working" is causing a few ructions up north. Still, why pay for stewards when you only turned over 121 million?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-45560424

Would you do it? I certainly wouldn't.

P.S. no one tell........... :lolol:

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Looks like Burnley's plans to use volunteers in some stewarding roles who will be "well looked after" but "may not see all of the game they are working" is causing a few ructions up north. Still, why pay for stewards when you only turned over 121 million?

P.S. no one tell........... [emoji38]ol:
We already have a similar scheme. I think ours get paid but not sure and wouldn't put it past Barber.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

It’s a long way to travel for every home match. I wouldn’t even do it for the Albion.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

So... you trust someone who you aren't paying to ensure only people with tickets and without contraband get into the ground?

Don't think they will have a flaskgate there then... " Oh Hi John. Yeah. Just helping out. No, no money. Doing it so I don't have to watch the whole match. What? No. You go straight through mate."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Using the term “spectator experience“ in their advertising for the role is equally shameful.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Do we really do this? Blimey. I remembered that Palace did (those avatars are still hilarious) but I'd no idea we did. I'm not against volunteering - like most parents at my son's club I'll run the line or put out equipment - but this feels much more like "work". It's the same reason that big firms can get away with hiring interns or writers or photographers get asked to work "for the exposure".

See you in the pub and the stands.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Working for free.

This is as bad a companies suing trial days for free labour. Should be banned and it's a disgrace if we do it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Working for free.

This is as bad a companies suing trial days for free labour. Should be banned and it's a disgrace if we do it.

We did (do?) part of this... we had the meet-and-greet, here-to-help types to direct people around the stadium and help them find the correct entrance, etc. But weren't (aren't) a replacement for stewards checking people coming in or working the inside of the stadium.

I do wonder how many unpaid stewards would be holding the thin florescent line if it kicked off between fans.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We did (do?) part of this... we had the meet-and-greet, here-to-help types to direct people around the stadium and help them find the correct entrance, etc. But weren't (aren't) a replacement for stewards checking people coming in or working the inside of the stadium.

I do wonder how many unpaid stewards would be holding the thin florescent line if it kicked off between fans.

We do. I saw Ken Valder greeting fans coming down the slope from the P&R buses. They wear a top saying Happy to Help.

Edited to add the article.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/december/albion-recruit-here-to-help-staff/

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Using the term “spectator experience“ in their advertising for the role is equally shameful.
This.
Working for free.

And most definitely this. This isn't like the Litter Patrol at Withdean where people willingly worked for free as they knew they were helping the club; this is just a shameful exploitation of people's love for their club. Their, compared to us at Withdean, incredibly wealthy club.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There is a huge difference between 'meet & great', these are supporters who know the ground and will help fans find their way around, and 'stewards' who should be trained in some sort of crowd control.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’d need a lot more than a well-meaning meet-and-greet person in a hi-vis vest to enhance my “spectator experience. “ in a shit hole like Burnley.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
We do. I saw Ken Valder greeting fans coming down the slope from the P&R buses. They wear a top saying Happy to Help.

Different to Burnley though. judging from the bbc article. I've never known Ken to miss a game. The Burnley report specifically states that "Heroes" won't see all of the game they volunteer for.

Whether that means they miss the first and last few minutes or a significant chunk isn't stated of course.

However, if we had to direct fans who were leaving the Amex then the "volunteer" would have to leave their seat on about 60 minutes.

*ducks*

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
Just to clarify, our "Here to Help" scheme is fully paid and finishes roughly 10 minutes before kick off so none of the game is missed. It also doesn't involve any of the validating tickets/searching people sort of things that it mentions in the Burnley article, it simply involves being there to be a friendly face greeting people when they arrive at the stadium and answering any questions or queries that people may have.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The club spokesman insisted that the club's Match Day Heroes would be similar to the Game Makers at the 2012 London Olympics

i.e. unpaid but their employer will be able to log the volunteering hours for PR purposes

SAC

May 21, 2014
Just to clarify, our "Here to Help" scheme is fully paid and finishes roughly 10 minutes before kick off so none of the game is missed. It also doesn't involve any of the validating tickets/searching people sort of things that it mentions in the Burnley article, it simply involves being there to be a friendly face greeting people when they arrive at the stadium and answering any questions or queries that people may have.

It sounds quite similar. They don't appear to be searching anyone just pointing people in the right direction.

I wouldn't do it as I hate to miss the first few minutes of a match.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here