Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Negative" support

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This has long been a bit of annoyance to me.

Yes, I get most/all fans do it, and there's certainly a time and a place for taking the piss out of opposition players, fans and managers, but I'd much rather we collectively engaged in pro-Albion songs and support than some of the others that get trotted out.

Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.

Other classics from last night:

"The South Coast is ours, the South Coast is ours..." - is it? Is it really? What does that actually mean, particularly given we were losing at the time?

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

"There's no one there, there's no one there..." - OK, there were some empty seats but it was Southampton v Brighton on a Monday night live on Sky. For much of that first half I was envious of the stay aways.

Is ti just me? Am I a grumpy old man?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Yes, I get most/all fans do it, and there's certainly a time and a place for taking the piss out of opposition players, fans and managers, but I'd much rather we collectively engaged in pro-Albion songs and support than some of the others that get trotted out.

Last night we had just hauled ourselves level when, deep in added time, Southampton had a free-kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. The response of some of the Albion crowd was to break into "2-0 and you ****ed it up". Brilliant. Fortunately Many Ryan pulled off what looked to be a fine save and we survived.

"The South Coast is ours, the South Coast is ours..." - is it? Is it really? What does that actually mean, particularly given we were losing at the time?

"Southampton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." - the game was in its infancy and you want to go home? Also: save that for the likes of Burnley where you may have a point.

"There's no one there, there's no one there..." - OK, there were some empty seats but it was Southampton v Brighton on a Monday night live on Sky. For much of that first half I was envious of the stay aways.

You're not grumpy [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], it's just that some fans think because were losing, it's the end of the world, some just look at the bigger picture to where we were a few years back and see realism.
We're not Liverpool or Man City, we are Brighton and Hove Albion.
As long as we stay PL, that's all that counts IMO

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Wasn't there, so can't comment specifically on last night. However, "Your support is fu**ng *hit" has to be the most cringey chant I hear.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The bloke next to me walked out when their second went in saying I've had enough of this shit i'm going home.

Now that, is "Negative" support.

Was he singing about wanting to go home before that?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
100% agree with OP.

Didn't like any of those chants last night (I never like the S...hole chant).

I am middle aged though and occasionally grumpy, so I'll join the group.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are actually a handful of clubs out there, where fans chants are in the main positive about their club and they rarely slag others off. Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal spring to mind. I like that positivity and passion.

Other clubs such as Norwich and Stoke have a contorted-ugly-faces hate in many of their chants about whoever they face that day.

But I must admit I like some derogatory stuff, such as ".... is a shithole, I want to go home", but sung when the Albion are in the closing stages of a definite away win. [A rare event in the PL]

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's just abit of fun isn't it?

If you don't like it, don't join in. There are plenty of others like you in answer to your question, the "I only sing the songs for which I like the tune and wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments" brigade.

I mean **** me, we're not QUITE there with football yet are we? That we might damage the sensibilities of opposing fans with offensive songs?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

No you are not.

So here is the thing...

Why sing about the Nigels...there were no Nigels there and for them to hear it on the TV was a form of flattery..

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Maty Ryan Socceroo... he hates Palace" grinds my gears for the same reason.

Nothing grinds my gears more than the phrase grinds my gears.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Grumpy! If you were 20/30 years younger you'd be wading in with most of those. I was there last night, and given the choice between being an Albion fan (wide range of songs, supporting the team despite a truly abysmal first 45) and a Southampton fan (one song, plus singing our songs back at us in a pathetic way), I know which I'd rather be.

There has to be some middle ground between supporting our team and taking the piss out of the other lot, that's half the fun. A lot of the examples you gave are about timing and fine-tuning. "Two nil and you f****d it up" is a great song, but I'd have left it another minute until after the free-kick. "Southampton's a sh*thole" came at an odd moment, that's better if they are attacking your town. "South Coast is ours" is not that great a song but I suppose you could sing it if you finished top south coast team. And "There's no one there/Your ground's too big for you" is another good song, but as you say a little inappropriate last night.

I'd have happily gone with "Small town near Bournemouth/Portsmouth" though...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here