Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Virgin Media Broadband

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Utter joke, had their engineers out out on four occasions this year, WiFi service almost on a daily basis drops out, every time the engineer calls they give another reason for the failure and suggest it is now fixed!

Another joke is I get better download/upload speeds on my EE 4g when I compare on my phone!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
My wifi icon constantly flashes green on the router . Not sure if it is suppose to though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Utter joke, had their engineers out out on four occasions this year, WiFi service almost on a daily basis drops out, every time the engineer calls they give another reason for the failure and suggest it is now fixed!

Another joke is I get better download/upload speeds on my EE 4g when I compare on my phone!

Wifi is the devil's work. Multiple devices and clients, the BB providers routers just cannot handle it. My VM superhub 3.0 hardwired connection is pretty consistent, the wifi is all over the place, but that can be impacted by so many things, interference, construction of the property etc. Not sure if BT Infinity and the other provider hubs are any better with wifi though. I'm putting in an ethernet switch and hardwired some wifi access points around the house. That way whatever service I go with, their hub just bridges to the switch.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If you’re talking about the router then the big light at bottom should be solid white!

Yes i have the solid white light. I also have a flashing green wifi one

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wifi is the devil's work. Multiple devices and clients, the BB providers routers just cannot handle it. My VM superhub 3.0 hardwired connection is pretty consistent, the wifi is all over the place, but that can be impacted by so many things, interference, construction of the property etc. Not sure if BT Infinity and the other provider hubs are any better with wifi though. I'm putting in an ethernet switch and hardwired some wifi access points around the house. That way whatever service I go with, their hub just bridges to the switch.
Just buy powerlines. No need for extra wiring.I have them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just buy powerlines. No need for extra wiring.I have them.

I needed new electrics anyway. Have been using powerlines though, definitely worth hardwiring as much as you can and reducing the need for wifi, especially from provider hubs.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Experienced all of that infuriating nonsense with Sky BB. Moved to Virgin and have had perfect service for 4 years....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Don't confuse problems with the WiFi with problems with the broadband. The broadband connection to your home will be fine but the problem is with the WiFi service the router is providing. I end up rebooting my router a few times a week to keep it working OK.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Don't confuse problems with the WiFi with problems with the broadband. The broadband connection to your home will be fine but the problem is with the WiFi service the router is providing. I end up rebooting my router a few times a week to keep it working OK.

What is your process for rebooting?

Edit apart from switching it off and on?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Here’s the test I’ve just run day opposite my Virgin router first with WiFi on and then off using my mobile data!

I think I might be better off with a dongle plugged into my laptop [emoji23]
9bff992de945500860b20bebc8988c98.png

Jul 7, 2003
The Virgin superhubs are well known for having wifi issues if you look on their support forums. My wifi kept dropping out or hanging and it was becoming a real pain. I decided to invest in a TP Link router and switch the superhub into modem mode and haven't had any problems since.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
No complaints about their broadband but their customer services team are appalling when dealing with any debt/money issues (robotic clowns the lot of them)

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Experienced all of that infuriating nonsense with Sky BB. Moved to Virgin and have had perfect service for 4 years....

Been with Virgin BB for 8 years all was good until the last 4 months.

The wifi would just disconnect.....the router would reboot....no good when I work from home and all my music is Bose Wifi speakers.
Smart Tv would freeze etc..
They used to be good on the phone service but not know.....last time they said ' We cant fix it but we can send you an email telling you how to fix it'
They have sent 3 routers recently and wont believe its possibly a fibre cable problem...( no engineer has been to the house) .
The plastic cover on the cables outside is split so water gets in...

Anyway.....Had enough and gave them my 30 days notice today...then they tried to tell me I could not leave unless I paid them £120....I asked them to check my account and they aggreed to drop the charge when they saw how many times I have logged faults..

Im going to try Sky it might be better it might be worse but I have 28days to decide and find another supplier if its crap......Sky is fibre here now so hopefully OK..

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I've been with them forever, since they were steam powered in fact. If I could get a reliable BT line to my part of Coldean(I can't, I've checked)I would have left them a long time ago. If you can manage to get through to Delhi, after pressing the umpteenth option on your keypad, they talk to you as if you're lying. Best one was when the silly bitch couldn't understand my accent!???

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I've been with them forever, since they were steam powered in fact. If I could get a reliable BT line to my part of Coldean(I can't, I've checked)I would have left them a long time ago. If you can manage to get through to Delhi, after pressing the umpteenth option on your keypad, they talk to you as if you're lying. Best one was when the silly bitch couldn't understand my accent!???

The Indian call centre is SOOOOOO easy to get free stuff from. I get SKY Sports& BT Sport at massive knockdown all because they are so gullible!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I started with Virgin about 15 years ago and when fibre came along to my area I dumped their 1M/Bs offering for BT Infinity 2 @ 50 M/Bs
4 years after that I realised 50 M/B was way more than I really needed so went to EE fibre 20M/Bs and quarter of the price.

In terms of customer service, never needed any of them [maybe I'm lucky]

In terms of availablity, Virgin was up and down like a whore's draws - both line-in and WiFi
BT was much faster and more reliable
The day I switched to EE the landline developed a crackle - Openreach came out and told me the line was fine, so must be my internal wiring - after a couple of days phaffing about, I nailed the fault down to the BT main box [now in the loft] - new MK4 front panel for that and I've be up and online without a break [inc WifI] for almost a year.

Defo the quality of the router that makes all the difference, esp to home WiFi - my EE router also offers 5MHz option [faster but weaker signal]
Slow speed is usually down to contention on the line - green box to houses connected on that spur using copper [neighbours eh?]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Been with Virgin BB for 8 years all was good until the last 4 months.

The wifi would just disconnect.....the router would reboot....no good when I work from home and all my music is Bose Wifi speakers.
Smart Tv would freeze etc..
They used to be good on the phone service but not know.....last time they said ' We cant fix it but we can send you an email telling you how to fix it'
They have sent 3 routers recently and wont believe its possibly a fibre cable problem...( no engineer has been to the house) .
The plastic cover on the cables outside is split so water gets in...

Anyway.....Had enough and gave them my 30 days notice today...then they tried to tell me I could not leave unless I paid them £120....I asked them to check my account and they aggreed to drop the charge when they saw how many times I have logged faults..

Im going to try Sky it might be better it might be worse but I have 28days to decide and find another supplier if its crap......Sky is fibre here now so hopefully OK..

You must live with me [emoji23]

Quite literally all of this, everything!

Edit. I should say I’ve had three engineers visits, one changed the router, a month later it still cuts out! Second one turns up says the first one left the original power lead which he shouldn’t and also installed some sort of booster plug after a day still cuts out, third one turns up and says the router was set to only use a few channels when looking for the best signal, he now has set it to AUTO, guess what it cut out and continues to cut out !

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Ist thing i always do is change wi fi channel, because everyone else has the same channel on router !!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here