Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Furthest You've Travelled For Day Trip

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Flew to New York and back in 24 hours to sign the lease on an apartment. I was moving there for work.

It had an amazing view of the East River and I didn’t want anyone else having it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
When I lived in Gibraltar I regular got the 10.30 am flight out of Malaga to Gatwick, in the pub in Brighton for 12.45, 1.5 hours drinking, football at Withdean, back to Gatwick for 7.30 pm flight back to Malaga

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Chamonix from Brighton, and back.

About 10 / 15 years ago, one of the major ski package companies trialled one day skiing in The Alps, flying from/to Gatwick.

With a 6am flight and just a one hour transfer from Geneva, we were on course for many hours skiing. But had to wait forever on our coach at Geneva for the ********s who took their own skis and waited for them to come through. Plus for skiers on a later flight from Manchester.

A dumb idea, soon dropped.

Done it myself early flight to Geneva mini bus to megeve...skiing by 11, ski till 5 back to Geneva 7 for 8.30 flight to gatwick land 9 ish with extra hour home soon after 10pm.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I flew from Bergen to gatwick for my grandads funeral in Brighton and flew back the same day. Very odd experience waking up in your own bed, flying to a different country to see the whole family in an emotional situation, then flying home and getting into your own bed again.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
6,484 miles. London to Montreal and back in 1987, to sign some company legal documents and bring them back to London.

Took the morning flight out from London and caught the early evening flight back. Was only there for less than 6 hours, half of which was spent in taxis between the airport and downtown.

Got some strange looks and a few questions at LHR check-in, when they saw I was returning the same day!

Madness, but exciting for a 29 year old at the time!

Done Brize Norton to Seattle and back with 2 hours on the ground in Seattle.(8400 miles)...that was in my flying days...operated out and dead head home....( went back to Seattle 4 days later for a 3 day layover.)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I am in Moscow at the moment but am considering a day trip back to the UK to visit Salisbury. According to 2 fellas I have met over here the 123 metre cathedral spire is well worth a visit!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hartlepool away for me, when Gus' side were kicked all over the place and we lost 3-1, and arguably we lost Kazenga LuaLua forever that day. He wasn't as potent and dangerous after that injury as he had been before, maybe it was a legacy of the horror tackle playing on his mind or maybe he just didn't physically recover.

I was there for that game, but I've also done the Carlisle trip.
Bruges.... Christmas markets

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Yes, driven through the Tunnel to Bruges for the day a couple of times.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Middlesbrough

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Back in '80 Mrs SS worked for an air chartering company in HH and the deal was any unsold seats could be had free to staff. Well, the Ibiza flight departed Gatwick about 10am Sunday mornings with a 1-hour turnaround return - we left home at 8am and were back by 3pm.

Not in 24 hours, but a Guy I worked with met up with a girl in Chicago while he was out there on business, she was an Australian nanny. He thought it would be nice for her to come visit him in the UK for the weekend so he bought her a return ticket Chicago-Gatwick but it went very wrong for her because her US visa had less than 6 months on it - this was her trip.
Friday: Chicago > Gatwick
Sunday: Gatwick > Chicago [immigration refused entry]
Monday AM: Chicago > Gatwick [sent back from where she'd arrived from]
Monday PM: Gatwick > Melbourne [repatriated to homeland]

Her flat in Chicago, car, furniture etc etc were all disposed of ......
Moral of story, understand visa entry laws wherever you go [and want to return to]

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Brighton to wedding in Newcastle to reception somewhere north of that and back again.
You cant get unlimited mileage on short term car hire so easily now

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
WC QF 2002 v Brazil. Between planes, trains and automobiles I was 63 hours out of the house and 56 of those were travelling or waiting to travel. Including flight changes and bullet trains, a 13,000 mile day trip in all but duration. Shame about the result, mind.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A mate of mine (who is an Albion STH but as far as I am aware doesn't post on here) "popped" home to watch the Aussie Rules grand final in Melbourne last year. As in was picked up from the airport, straight to the game, and then more or less back to the airport and back to the UK that evening.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Have done a day trip to Iceland (country not supermarket) but think the furthest I've done is squeezing two interviews into a day flying Gatwick to Oslo... interview someone there... Oslo to Copenhagen... second candidate interviewed... Copenhagen back to Gatwick. Add in the travel between airports and offices and Brighton/Gatwick and that was a long day.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Drove to Brussels and back in a day to collect a car on a trailer. Quite a long day, although have driven 775miles In a day before.

Shoreham to Invergordon and back for a site meeting/survey, drive/fly/drive each way

Ploiesti Romania to Frankfurt and back to collect a few control panel parts, 2 business class flights and taxi service wasn't the hardest days work I've ever done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here