Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Help needed with legal question.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I know some of you guys are quite good at this sort of stuff.

A person sells a small patch of land to another person. There is a witnessed bill of sale and money changes hands. Some little while later all parties ensure that the name of the registered owner is changed at Land Registry.

In the eyes of the Law when is the second person deemed to own the land?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
At the point of sale. Compare it to a house sale (which often includes land) - you become the legal owner at point of completion yet Land Registry isn't update for a number of weeks.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston

A person sells a small patch of land to another person. There is a witnessed bill of sale and money changes hands. Some little while later all parties ensure that the name of the registered owner is changed at Land Registry.

When this bit happens

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Pretty sure it'll be when the money was handed over - the registration at Land Registry follows completion. Bills of sale aren't designed for land sales though..........should always really be done using a solicitor and proper conveyancing docs. Might have saved a few quid at at the time but if there's a problem now there's no protection for either party.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd say at the point funds are exchanged, i.e. point of sale.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
....... but I'd love to know why the date of ownership is so important!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am guessing there is a legal responsibility to eventually register the new owner at Land Registry with penalty charges if you don't comply in a certain timescale.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Bills of sale aren't designed for land sales though..........should always really be done using a solicitor and proper conveyancing docs. Might have saved a few quid at at the time but if there's a problem now there's no protection for either party.

I just used the term 'bill of sale' to describe a record of sale. The land has a value of about £100 and a Solicitors fees would probably have doubled or tripled that! TR1s etc have been used in readiness for future registration..

There is no requirement to protect either party as the seller is my wife and the buyer is me :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is no requirement to protect either party as the seller is my wife and the buyer is me :wink:

:lolol:

Has she pulled a fast one on you?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Its about who is responsible for any subsequent charges on the land.
You will pay regardless. That's how marriages work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just used the term 'bill of sale' to describe a record of sale. The land has a value of about £100 and a Solicitors fees would probably have doubled or tripled that! TR1s etc have been used in readiness for future registration..

OP helpfully posts further relevant details after seeking responses to a question :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

A bit of land worth £100? Whereabouts in Croydon is it?

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here