Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] On this day 52 years ago

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Monkees is an American sit-com first aired on NBC from September 12, 1966.

monkees.jpg

I guess we can't really turn this into a 'favourite Monkees track' thread, although at least it'll be pithy:-

(own that bass Davy :lol: )

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When my girlfriend said she was leaving me because of my out of control obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking .... ... And then I saw Her face ....!
-

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When my girlfriend said she was leaving me because of my out of control obsession with The Monkees, I thought she was joking .... ... And then I saw Her face ....!
-

Damn. Beat me to it :glare::lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt she said

Its a little bit me a little bit you

And

I wanna be free

So I can

Listen to The Band

Ok I'll go now and catch the last train to Clarksville

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Wonderful track - Alternate Title. I still have my original 45.

P.S. I watched the first episode as a child and it was an immediate favourite.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Michael Nesmith's solo albums are brilliant, IMHO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pure Austin Powers:-

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Even the Monkees could do serious.

The lyrics tell of a man phoning the woman he loves, urging her to meet him at a train station in Clarksville before he must leave, possibly forever. There was no explicit reference to war in the song but its last line, "And I don't know if I'm ever coming home", was an indirect reference about a soldier leaving for the Vietnam War.

It has often been presumed that the song refers to Clarksville, Tennessee, which is near Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the home of the 101st Airborne Division, which was then serving in Vietnam. However, according to songwriter Bobby Hart, that was not the case. Instead, according to Hart, "We were just looking for a name that sounded good. There's a little town in northern Arizona I used to go through in the summer on the way to Oak Creek Canyon called Clarkdale. We were throwing out names, and when we got to Clarkdale, we thought Clarksville sounded even better. We didn't know it at the time, [but] there is an Army base near the town of Clarksville, Tennessee — which would have fit the bill fine for the storyline. We couldn't be too direct with The Monkees. We couldn't really make a protest song out of it — we kind of snuck it in".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Train_to_Clarksville

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
And don’t forget Ena Sharples’ grandson!

BC69909D-03F8-45BD-BA92-3760E08997A5.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An attempt by the Americans to cash in by hanging onto the coat tails of the Beatles. Cheeky chappies doing pop stuff. Hard to dislike their tunes though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here