Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3rd Euopean Cup competition

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45483586
Only a matter of time that finishing in 15th gets us into Europe.
But do we really need another competition? At the moment the CL and EL prelim games start weeks before the PL season, just ask Burnley, Celtic et al. It may bring in big cash for the top teams but only the top teams. Would you welcome The Albion, should we finish 8th, to be playing another European team who finished 8th in July?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We always used to have three, so why not!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think the current 2 competitions are fine as they are.

Anyone remember Wimbledon and (I think) Spurs playing Intertoto Cup games at the Goldstone?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think the current 2 competitions are fine as they are.

Anyone remember Wimbledon and (I think) Spurs playing Intertoto Cup games at the Goldstone?
Went to one of them but can't remember which.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Because previously it was Cup Winners, Champions and someone else into the competitions. Now four teams get into the Champions League followed by three into the Euro League (depending on who wins the domestic cups). So finishing 8th could be a European Cup place but up against who? It really would be third rate teams (if you class Albion as such).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think I went to both - both English teams put very weak sides out, and I think both lost. The away fans added a splash of European glamour though.
I watched Barry Town play some Eastern European team an Ninian Park whilst on holiday in the early 90s. Don't think there were many away fans but they did have the little passing within cones training that everyone does now which was really exotic back then. Used to be just lumping balls at the keeper or passing it back and forth whilst chatting. Watching a new way of training was quite exciting.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It'll be the European equivalent of the League Cup. Every team outside of the Top 6 is potential relegation fodder, and what manager in their right mind would go to places like Georgia or Azerbaijan on a Thursday knowing they have a relegation 6-pointer vs Huddersfield on the Sunday?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think I went to both - both English teams put very weak sides out, and I think both lost. The away fans added a splash of European glamour though.

I had the urge to Google it, and it turns out that Alan Pardew played for Spurs that day. I went to support the English side - I feel a little dirty now.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The change from the UEFA Cup to the Europa League always felt odd to me. I understand the need for the Champions League to have a group stage due to TV income/number of games, but always felt that the knockout format of the lesser UEFA Cup was fantastic and often more interesting. Europa League is just UCL lite, so if it is a different format, I think it'll be great.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Because previously it was Cup Winners, Champions and someone else into the competitions. Now four teams get into the Champions League followed by three into the Euro League (depending on who wins the domestic cups). So finishing 8th could be a European Cup place but up against who? It really would be third rate teams (if you class Albion as such).

Obviously it all depends on the format. A straight knockout comp with two legged ties would be great imo.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Relegation League

Every team that comes bottom out of the top Euro leagues enters a competition to see who is the worst in Europe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps they will just revive the European Cup Winners Cup n which was scrapped to enhance the prestige of the then Champions Cup. Wont be long before there is Euro Super League.

Yoda

English & European
Perhaps they could have the winners of the 3rd competition qualifying for the Europa League, just like the Europa League winners qualify for the Champions League.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Because in the good old days of European football you had all three played on the same Tuesday or Wednesday, this new one will be played on a Monday or Friday and will be treated an a long distance league cup match with U23's playing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Any new competition will be a waste of time unless they regionalise it in the early rounds and the fans can recognise the teams they are playing against. Clubs could use the early stages to bring on fringe players and then treat it seriously if they get further in .the competition

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some interesting points. UEFA seem to get things broadly correct given that its competitions are viable, attracting tv viewers and generating money. Therefore if they want a new compo they presumably have beta tested the idea and found it sound.

Yes, I remember the endless sniping at how the European cup has been damaged by the four club and mini league format ('Champions, my arse' etc). But it is more successful as an entity than the old European cup was.

The Fairs cup and the Cup winners' cup on the other hand were merged because there was little interest in the competitions. I seem to recall Wolves versus Newcastle in one final, and it wasn't televised (could have been Spurs versus someone - it was so tremendous I can't remember the details). Bert Murray was a European 'winner' with Chelsea and we all dined out on the great coup when he joined the Albion, didn't we? Sorry is that snoring I can hear?

As for the lack of interest by English sides in the current Europa league..... I have a theory. Yes Burnley put out a tier 2 team and went out without a whimper in front of a half empty Turf Moor. But that, I suspect, is imposter syndrome. The club and fans feel they don't 'belong' in Europe and treated the adventure much like my younger self would have treated a date with Angelina Jolie. ManU on the other hand knuckled down and won the competition.

So if the new compo works it will be a good addition for people who are sedentary football watchers, and who would begrudge me? I mean 'them' :rolleyes::whistle:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here