Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shelotto query

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but as Schelotto has not been named in the 25 man squad for the first half of this season and has not been loaned out to another club (as far as I know), does that mean other than training he will have no chance to play anywhere until January?

He might not have impressed CH I guess to not be named in the 25 but it seems strange to me to have a fit/borderline first team player in a position that he is essentially redundant (other than training) until at least January (unless he is allowed to play with the U23's).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You seem as confused as the your username / title

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If that is true then my mistake. Only last week the Argus and BBC radio were implying he hadn't been named in the official 25 though. Unusual for them to have both got it wrong if that is the case. They suggested the 25 names had be reported to the Prem League by 1st September and at this time he hadn't been included?

https://www.premierleague.com/news/810083

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I've seen it claimed on here (so may or may not have any basis in reality) that a couple of good clubs came in for him over the summer but we turned them down as we expected to keep him as back up, but then signed Montoya last minute leaving Schelotto up shit-creek and the player & club have thus had a sizable falling out with Schelotto feeling (not unreasonably, if this is true) that he has been shafted.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Cheers guys for the confirmation. Personally I'm pleased to hear this even if he is down the pecking order. Never thought he was the best defender but felt he definitely had something to offer going forward.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Hemed going instead of him meant was room. Can well see him having been ready to go until Bruno got injured though as Montoya, Bruno, Bernardo all ahead of him from looks of things already and Balogan useful cover too.

Could see him getting time at Right Midfield in an injury/suspension crisis though so expect the club wanted to hold onto him till January.

We really do have a lot of flexible players in the squad which means we're less likely to require a 25th player to actually have game time than most teams I think.

Will always be remembered for the Chelsea game where if the ref had his glasses on he'd have won 2 pens. But probably time to move on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Obviously Burn replaces Barclay in the 25 man squad in January, but it could be that Schelotto is also replaced by someone else in the mid-season window.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Looking at some of those squads it makes you wonder what the point of 'home grown' is. I've never really given it much thought before - I had a hazy idea that it was to ensure a certain number of English/British players in the squad.

If so, it can't be fully working when Chelsea can name Spanish international Cesc Fabregras as home grown but Spurs can't name England international Eric Dier. I know it's something to do with having spent a certain amount of your formative years in whichever country but if it is about giving English players the opportunity to play then it might need some tweaking.

If it's about something other than creating opportunity for British players please let me know. Merci!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking at some of those squads it makes you wonder what the point of 'home grown' is. I've never really given it much thought before - I had a hazy idea that it was to ensure a certain number of English/British players in the squad.

If so, it can't be fully working when Chelsea can name Spanish international Cesc Fabregras as home grown but Spurs can't name England international Eric Dier. I know it's something to do with having spent a certain amount of your formative years in whichever country but if it is about giving English players the opportunity to play then it might need some tweaking.

If it's about something other than creating opportunity for British players please let me know. Merci!

We had to appeal to get Murray included as HGP this season - he previously wasn't !

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As I understand it "home grown" refers to the player spending a certain amount of time in the English youth academy system rather than anything else.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Schelotto and loved the way he played. At first I completely dismissed him, as it appeared all he could offer was passing back instead of going forward, then he had a run in the team and he was brilliant in my eyes, always looking to drive forward and making some good runs.

He then got poll axed against Arsenal and didn't really play again.

Not a world beater, but a solid pro..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
still time for him to get some game time in midfield, become a cult hero and be around in 5 year time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Schelotto and loved the way he played. At first I completely dismissed him, as it appeared all he could offer was passing back instead of going forward, then he had a run in the team and he was brilliant in my eyes, always looking to drive forward and making some good runs.

He then got poll axed against Arsenal and didn't really play again.

Not a world beater, but a solid pro..

If every game was like the Chelsea game for him he’d be a cult hero in no time.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
The great Andy Naylor said he wouldn't be. If He says this, then it is good enough for me, irrespective of whatever other factual sources there are - they are not as good as His words.

Any of you not believing the Great Man just want to watch the club burn and be destroyed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here