Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton Wanderers on the Brink?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Looks likely that their last game at Forest could also be postponed as the wages don't look like being paid anytime soon.
This could be the end of Bolton as a league club.

It could be.

I can’t understand why the EFL or PFA can’t step in to pay the wages, March and April.

The season is completed, no teams are disadvantaged, then the situation can be sorted out. Hopefully positively for the fans sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'd have signed 11 fans up on a free and sent them out. What a day for a supporter, and they don't get booted out of the league.

A 33-0 drubbing might not do their goal difference much good, but still.....

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Bernie_and_Vic_outside_the_factory.png

Think this has gone beyond reinstating the tea rounds

el punal

I remember this happening before. I think it was Middlesboro who claimed they had too many injuries and didn't travel to a game. IIRC, the League awarded the game to the opponents and deducted three points. I'm a bit sketchy on the details as this was at least 25 years ago

EDIT: Just found the details. It was 22 years ago, so a bit more recent than I thought. Boro against Blackburn, Boro claimed to have only 17 fit players (including 3 goalies) and the PL thought that was no reason not to turn up.

Personally, I can't blame them for not wanting to travel to Blackburn ... but then, they're in Boro so Blackburn's a set up

Back in the 1970s Alan Mullery or Peter Taylor said they couldn’t fulfill a fixture because there was “an outbreak of flu” or similar among the first team squad and they didn’t have enough fit players for a starting eleven. We got away with it!

Anyone remember that incident?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Although I have sympathy for the Bolton fans, it's long overdue for a 'big' club to go to the wall. Life doesn't go on forever regardless and neither should football clubs be allowed to continue limping from one crisis to another.

It's partly because some 'saviour' always drops in at the last minute that clubs and their supporters are rarely running themselves in a financially prudent manner. The clamour for overspending by fans is madness.

A few big clubs going under would do wonders for supporters of all clubs to take more interest in the financial goings on at their clubs.

Clubs like Crystal Palace and Portsmouth ( habitual overspenders ) should have been put down years ago and new evolving clubs given the chance to prosper and succeed in their catchment areas.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48199290 - Things not looking good

Bolton Wanderers owner Ken Anderson has announced he has been left with "little or no choice" other than to place the club into administration.

Wanderers appeared in the High Court on Wednesday over a £1.2m unpaid tax bill.

The case was adjourned until 22 May, allowing time for an administrator to be appointed.

Administration would result in the club, relegated to League One this season, having a 12-point penalty imposed on them next term.

Former Watford owner Laurence Bassini had been part of a takeover bid, but Wanderers said on Thursday that the deal was off.

Bassini, who had been given 48 hours to prove to the English Football League he had the funds to take over, later said he had control of the club, but it was reported on Monday that his bid was on the brink of collapse.

Meanwhile, Bolton Whites Hotel, which adjoins the University of Bolton Stadium and is owned by the club, also appeared in the High Court over a separate winding-up petition and were also given an adjournment until 22 May.

More to follow.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Speaking to a Bolton supporting mate the other day, he said that he can't wait for the club to be wound up, get rid of the scumbags and start from the bottom like Wimbledon, Darlo etc.

Limping on as they have for the past few years is helping nobody, especially the fans.

The last thing he wants is that prick Bassini taking over. "I'm just sick of us being an embarrassment" were his words.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So thats a 12 point deduction for the start of next season, and thats before their punishment from the EFL is decided for failing to fulfil the fixture with Brentford. They can expect a maHOOsive points clobbering for that.

If they manage to limp on through administration and find a buyer, then this time next year I'd say its all but certain that they'll be kicking off in League 2 in August 2020. In fact, its not inconceivable that they might be dropped straight down to that level for the start of next season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Speaking to a Bolton supporting mate the other day, he said that he can't wait for the club to be wound up, get rid of the scumbags and start from the bottom like Wimbledon, Darlo etc.

Limping on as they have for the past few years is helping nobody, especially the fans.

The last thing he wants is that prick Bassini taking over. "I'm just sick of us being an embarrassment" were his words.
Problem is, there wouldn't be a guarantee that Bolton would be able to play at the Reebok or whatever it's currently called. Your mate may also have felt different, if like my brother in law, he was a club employee.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Still found it odd that Portsmouth fans - by and large - didn't hold the same view. At some point the club becomes irreparably tainted, and you just want a reset.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Problem is, there wouldn't be a guarantee that Bolton would be able to play at the Reebok or whatever it's currently called. Your mate may also have felt different, if like my brother in law, he was a club employee.

Yeah I completely understand that, but when a business becomes completely unviable or decides to move operations people lose their jobs. Like in every other industry.

It's just that Honda or Carillon don't have fans.

It's really shit and I hate to see anyone lose their job but the club is a tottering wreck that needs putting out of it's misery.

Bolton won't be the last "big" club that this happens to either.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Although I have sympathy for the Bolton fans, it's long overdue for a 'big' club to go to the wall. Life doesn't go on forever regardless and neither should football clubs be allowed to continue limping from one crisis to another.

It's partly because some 'saviour' always drops in at the last minute that clubs and their supporters are rarely running themselves in a financially prudent manner. The clamour for overspending by fans is madness.

A few big clubs going under would do wonders for supporters of all clubs to take more interest in the financial goings on at their clubs.

Clubs like Crystal Palace and Portsmouth ( habitual overspenders ) should have been put down years ago and new evolving clubs given the chance to prosper and succeed in their catchment areas.

Would you have had said the same if we’d gone bust in the mid 90s? Not that we are as historically big as Bolton.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
With only 5 weeks to the start of season they currently only have 8 first team players; their only defender being an 18 yr old brought in from the U23's during last season.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Starting with a 12 point deduction, it is going to be a long season for their fans.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
With only 5 weeks to the start of season they currently only have 8 first team players; their only defender being an 18 yr old brought in from the U23's during last season.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Starting with a 12 point deduction, it is going to be a long season for their fans.

Can still get 2/1 on them being relegated with most bookies, sounds like buying money to me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here