Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] DIY / Electrician help needed- fitting a replacement ceiling strip iight

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Doing a home sort / clean, and noticed the frame holding light / wiring inside looking rather old hat..

Is it easy to fit a new ceiling light yourself?

Have a 3 feet long tube there at moment- i reckon dad put up when when first moved in, ages ago.. wired from where the original ceiling rose fitting was, next to it.

If really needs a sparky, what likely cost?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Easy, yes, but if you aren't sure what you're doing then get a sparks in. I don't think it needs certifying if it's a like for like replacement with no additional load.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Easy. Go to your main fuse box (in the garage most times). Look for a cut out marked Lighting, either upstairs or downstairs. Turn it off. Return to light and check it isn't working. All this presumes you understand live and neutral and earth wiring. If it's old it may be red black & green cables. Also look for a switch loop which is a cable that returns to the switch. Basically, just reuse the two cables again and make sure it is earthed.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'd fit an LED strip light as a replacement. Can get them off eBay pretty cheap. Replaced 4 in a friends garage last year. Gives out more light, bulbs last 10,000 hours and mostly plastic parts so wont rust

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd fit an LED strip light as a replacement. Can get them off eBay pretty cheap. Replaced 4 in a friends garage last year. Gives out more light, bulbs last 10,000 hours and mostly plastic parts so wont rust

And of course LED bulbs are now the only ones produced as well .... thank you EU !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here