Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Valencia

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
I have a few days booked in Valencia towards the end of October and luckily (by chance of course), Valencia just happen to have a home match that Sunday!! It would be rude not to visit one of Europes most iconic stadiums, wouldn’t it?!

I realise that Google is my friend, however does anyone have any experience of attending a match there? Where is the best area to sit to get the best atmosphere? Can you POTG or is buying in advance advised?

Any other tips and ideas on what else to do in Valencia would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's the home of paella so you've got to go for one. Lunchtime is best. I'd recommend making a booking as the best places fill up. Do your research- even in Valencia I'm sure there are lots of places churning out 2nd rate paella.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
It's the home of paella so you've got to go for one. Lunchtime is best. I'd recommend making a booking as the best places fill up. Do your research- even in Valencia I'm sure there are lots of places churning out 2nd rate paella.

Thank you. Added to list

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Beach area is good and worth visiting Science and Arts area and the Oceanographic.

There was no game when we were there but we did the Mestalla Tour, very interesting

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a few days booked in Valencia towards the end of October and luckily (by chance of course), Valencia just happen to have a home match that Sunday!! It would be rude not to visit one of Europes most iconic stadiums, wouldn’t it?!

I realise that Google is my friend, however does anyone have any experience of attending a match there? Where is the best area to sit to get the best atmosphere? Can you POTG or is buying in advance advised?

Any other tips and ideas on what else to do in Valencia would be much appreciated!

Cheers

I think we POTG when we went and just took the available section. There wasn't much of an atmosphere to be honest, but it was a good game. What seemed to define a 'good fan' was the height of your pistachio shells pile when you left at the end of the match! Seriously, they can get through a lot of nuts during a game. :lolol:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Cheers

Pretty sure nothing is POTG there, they sell tickets old school from kiosks at the ground.

You may be able to get your hotel to sort them, when I was there I mentioned it at reception checking in and they dealt with it. Good job too because I wandered up on morning of game and it was busy, touts about too so probably no problem.

Avoid lower sections near pitch and stay under cover as stuff was frequently dropped or thrown from upper tiers.....pretty strange, but probably happens a lot I have never seen so many security cameras in a ground before. Literally 30+ on one wall.

Otherwise beaches are good, and worth a stroll up boardwalks although towards the north end there were muchos new Spanish/European types and tourists had been relived of money, valuables, passports etc. up there. I thought hotel staff were overreacting on the warnings however we cycled up (Valencia is excellent for cycling around by the way), and it was pretty hyper, drugs were being sold and consumed openly. A lot of Herberts about.

I think that because Valencia is a big port city that means it is a point of entry for the new poor Europeans plus lots of cruise ships arrive with wealthy tourists, so add the 2 together and there is natural consequences. So be on your guard, I never felt unsafe, but don’t wear your best watch if it’s a nice one.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
I think we POTG when we went and just took the available section. There wasn't much of an atmosphere to be honest, but it was a good game. What seemed to define a 'good fan' was the height of your pistachio shells pile when you left at the end of the match! Seriously, they can get through a lot of nuts during a game. :lolol:

Thank you. Will ensure that we purchase nuts before entering the stadium. Would these be allowed at the Amex??

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Pretty sure nothing is POTG there, they sell tickets old school from kiosks at the ground.

You may be able to get your hotel to sort them, when I was there I mentioned it at reception checking in and they dealt with it. Good job too because I wandered up on morning of game and it was busy, touts about too so probably no problem.

Avoid lower sections near pitch and stay under cover as stuff was frequently dropped or thrown from upper tiers.....pretty strange, but probably happens a lot I have never seen so many security cameras in a ground before. Literally 30+ on one wall.

Otherwise beaches are good, and worth a stroll up boardwalks although towards the north end there were muchos new Spanish/European types and tourists had been relived of money, valuables, passports etc. up there. I thought hotel staff were overreacting on the warnings however we cycled up (Valencia is excellent for cycling around by the way), and it was pretty hyper, drugs were being sold and consumed openly. A lot of Herberts about.

I think that because Valencia is a big port city that means it is a point of entry for the new poor Europeans plus lots of cruise ships arrive with wealthy tourists, so add the 2 together and there is natural consequences. So be on your guard, I never felt unsafe, but don’t wear your best watch if it’s a nice one.

Thanks for the excellent tips. Much appreciated

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thank you. Will ensure that we purchase nuts before entering the stadium. Would these be allowed at the Amex??

I should note as said above, when I say POTG, we bought the tickets at a kiosk outside the ground. This was 5 or 6 years ago mind, and I guess dependent on the opposition too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Thought they were having a new ground built or are they using the same contractors as spurs.

The central park on the old river before it was diverted is a nice walk although lengthy

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thank you. Added to list

We are in Lisbon end of October and there is a Portugal cup game mid-week KO 21:15 and it states the ticket office is open up to half-time so check out the Valencia website as they rarely sell out unless Barca or Real are in town.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought they were having a new ground built or are they using the same contractors as spurs.

The central park on the old river before it was diverted is a nice walk although lengthy

When we were there around 5 odd years ago work had just stopped on the new ground due to the recession.

May 2021 quoted as being ready, that is one long building project !

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Are you sure they were pistachio shells and not sunflower seeds? Usually in Spain it's sunflower seeds during the match then at halftime foil-wrapped bocadillos appear in the hands of every fan in the ground. Always at halftime. Never a second before or after.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I have a few days booked in Valencia towards the end of October and luckily (by chance of course), Valencia just happen to have a home match that Sunday!!

Be aware, the match could be any time that weekend, from Friday night to Monday night, and that won't be decided until a couple of weeks beforehand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here