Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Deafness in children

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Without wanting to turn this into another Mumsnet thread I would just like to seek the advice of these forums, if possible.
Our little one, at age 2 has just been diagnosed with being moderately deaf. At the moment he is non verbal and we have been told that his level of deafness may make it difficult for him to hear and replicate speech.
We have been offered bone conductive hearing aids for him and I just wondered if anyone on this wonderful forum had experience of such devices or could offer any advice,

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Nothing direct to offer you but it's really good that you've got a diagnosis and a partial remedy this young. He's still got enough of the really key language learning years left for this to have no long term impact on that aspect of development.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Nothing direct to offer you but it's really good that you've got a diagnosis and a partial remedy this young. He's still got enough of the really key language learning years left for this to have no long term impact on that aspect of development.

Agree it’s good it’s been picked up early. He has a chromosome deletion which is at the route of many of his problems, but knowing this is opening doors to assistance.

On our visits to audiology it has been quite upsetting, yet at the same time uplifting to see young babies wearing hearing aids - technology has moved on so much.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
When it your kids it’s always upsetting but they are so resilient they take the treatment in their stride. It’s good that it’s been diagnosed so early so you can get the right help. Wishing you (and junior) the very best of luck.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree it’s good it’s been picked up early. He has a chromosome deletion which is at the route of many of his problems, but knowing this is opening doors to assistance.

On our visits to audiology it has been quite upsetting, yet at the same time uplifting to see young babies wearing hearing aids - technology has moved on so much.

You're so right technology has moved on so much.

Can only offer my very best luck to you and your family especially the little man.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Sure you've found them already but the National Deaf Children's Society are a huge source of knowledge and advice. They have lots of info on their website and a helpline. Very few children are completely deaf, so they're used to helping with everything from slight to severe deafness.

http://www.ndcs.org.uk/

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Have been where you are now. My born profoundly deaf son is now 25. I noticed issues early and it was confirmed at age 1. We had much to learn but the best advice we ever had was given early on by a parent who had been through it. She said 'you will spend your life fighting for him'. We went through the use of various hearing aids, none were successful and the fight began for a cochlear implant. Sussex funded two a year no matter the demand. So we battled eventually, nearing an appearance at the House of Lords to present the case, the authorities caved. Implants were made available by demand. Most are fitted early now as this gives the brain the greatest chance of processing sound. We were late fitting our son's implant at age 7. He missed the development window and so his speech is limited but each word he utters makes it all feel worthwhile. Certainly, the assessment now is better than the past and you will get guidance as to what is the best option. Next education. A total minefield which took us on a nationwide tour finally to where we are now in Doncaster. This countries deaf provision has been stripped to the bone. Most children are now sent to units in hearing schools but this can be isolating and bullying often occurs. It is tempting to think they will fit in with hearing children, be the same but deafness has a habit of making you different and that can be hard to deal with. You will need to consider this. One of the positives in all this was the Albion. He was made welcome at matches and made lifelong friends, even the players got to know him. He played in one of the disability teams until we moved away. I wish you all the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here