Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stockdale to Sarfend .. (how the mighty fall)..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The club had issues with Stockdale, the main one being his fitness levels. That was one of the main drivers behind the length of his contract offer. He knew he was being replaced and instead of fighting for his place he took a deal elsewhere.

I’ve nothing against Stockdale, he did well for us during his time at the club and was outstanding during the very difficult time surrounding the Shoreham disaster. But I think all football fans like to see most players who choose to leave their club not achieve more than the club they support, there isn’t any malice in it for the most part.

I don’t revel in Stockdale fall to being a 7 day loan man, but I don’t feel sorry for him either.

Great post [emoji106][emoji106]

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The club had issues with Stockdale, the main one being his fitness levels. That was one of the main drivers behind the length of his contract offer. He knew he was being replaced and instead of fighting for his place he took a deal elsewhere.

I’ve nothing against Stockdale, he did well for us during his time at the club and was outstanding during the very difficult time surrounding the Shoreham disaster. But I think all football fans like to see most players who choose to leave their club not achieve more than the club they support, there isn’t any malice in it for the most part.

I don’t revel in Stockdale fall to being a 7 day loan man, but I don’t feel sorry for him either.

I don’t feel sorry for him either. He’s made an awful lot of money from playing football. I just think that despite what’s happened since he made the right decision to leave Brighton and it just seems a shame we can’t just remember him as the keeper and a key part of our promotion squad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The club levered Stockdale out in Summer 17. I had thought it was exactly the opposite, until an ITK individual let me know the truth. As you say it was his fitness levels including each close season, plus their detailed analysis of his goalkeeping showed it not to the standard they sought for the PL.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
It's a spectacular demise but one of his own making. That said, he's a decent bloke and deserves better, hopefully he'll get a decent club in the summer where he can put his undoubted skills to good use.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I don't seem to remember Ryan being on the horizon when he left, but I'm probably wrong on that.

Ryan signed for us 4 days after Stockdale officially joined Birmingham. He would have very much known the clubs plan to replace him as number 1. The length of contract Stockdale was offered was a clear indication that he wasn't going to be first choice.

Stockdale is a decent keeper, and clearly an nice guy too, he was a very important part in the PL promotion. He made the right choice for his family though taking a longer contract and more money, it's a shame it didn't work out for him at Birmingham once 'Arry left but those are the risks you accept in a career as a pro sportsman.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The club levered Stockdale out in Summer 17. I had thought it was exactly the opposite, until an ITK individual let me know the truth. As you say it was his fitness levels including each close season, plus their detailed analysis of his goalkeeping showed it not to the standard they sought for the PL.
I would dispute that he was levered out. There was a deal on the table. You can see by the fact that the 2nd and third keeper are home grown keepers. That option was open to him. It was his choice. A more agile keeper was needed and most people can see we found that in Ryan. So the fact that he chose to reject what Jason Steele and David Button were happy to accept. I don't think you can levy the responsibility for that at the Club or Management

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I would dispute that he was levered out. There was a deal on the table. You can see by the fact that the 2nd and third keeper are home grown keepers. That option was open to him. It was his choice. A more agile keeper was needed and most people can see we found that in Ryan. So the fact that he chose to reject what Jason Steele and David Button were happy to accept. I don't think you can levy the responsibility for that at the Club or Management

Steele and Button were both given 3 year deals, and in Jason Steele's case he was stepping up from the third tier to the PL, Button had also found himself replaced as first choice at Fulham by Marcus Bettinelli so more of a sideways move swapping a newly promoted PL club for one who were going into their second season.

Totally different situation to the one Stockdale found himself in where he was only offered a 1 year deal and knew he was going to be replaced as first choice at at club he'd just helped to promotion and had been first choice for 3 seasons.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Steele and Button were both given 3 year deals, and in Jason Steele's case he was stepping up from the third tier to the PL, Button had also found himself replaced as first choice at Fulham by Marcus Bettinelli so more of a sideways move swapping a newly promoted PL club for one who were going into their second season.

Totally different situation to the one Stockdale found himself in where he was only offered a 1 year deal and knew he was going to be replaced as first choice at at club he'd just helped to promotion and had been first choice for 3 seasons.

Yeah he was lucky to have been with the club that long , made far too many mistakes and his final mistake cost us a trophy

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

There was more than Stockdale found themselves not first choice but stayed. Bong and Bruno and Murphy to name but a few had players brought in in their position s but signed new contracts. Stockdale had a good offer on the table. There is absolutely nothing wrong with one year contracts. In fact. If I am advising people on contracts I always advise them to go for them. That's because if you succeed and do well you get to negotiate an improved one 12 months later. Sign a 4 year deal and your stuck on the same wages for 4 years. Around 30 players helped Brighton make the PL. Not just Stockdale. He wasn't forced out. Despite what the ITK person claims

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Shame, his career has really come off the rails.

His career is about where it was when Redknapp left 18 months ago.
Actually not that different to Tommy Elphick at Villa pre Dean Smith, for example or many other players in similar positions. Bought by one manager , unfancied by the new one.
He's not getting football/matches, but he is on a very expensive contract and reduced to emergency loans from time to time. Nothings changed.
As for moving away from the Albion. Then last season if he'd stayed as our #2 or #3 then he would have played in a few cup games (maybe) and been on (reportedly) less money and potentially out of contract at end of season. So he left but it didn't work out.
Not sure why everytime he makes a temporary move then all of this is rehashed but hey.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
How dare he take more money and a longer contract at a club where he had a good chance of being first choice. He should clearly have stayed at Brighton for less money on a 1 year contract to be reserve for Matt Ryan.

Read back through the thread pal, I've said the same as you many times.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Actually not that different to Tommy Elphick at Villa pre Dean Smith, for example or many other players in similar positions. Bought by one manager , unfancied by the new one.
He's not getting football/matches, but he is on a very expensive contract and reduced to emergency loans from time to time. Nothings changed.
As for moving away from the Albion. Then last season if he'd stayed as our #2 or #3 then he would have played in a few cup games (maybe) and been on (reportedly) less money and potentially out of contract at end of season. So he left but it didn't work out.
Not sure why everytime he makes a temporary move then all of this is rehashed but hey.

Because some fans like to sneer.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's easy to point the finger with hindsight. He went for more money and a longer contract.

I can see you're trying to defend him, that's fine, but we can all think and say whatever we like [within the law], only the man himself will know if he has regrets or not.
It's an opinion, and like ar$eholes, everyone's got one ....

Pickles

May 5, 2014
As many have said, not sure why some 'seem' to take pleasure in his so called downfall.

He didn't screw us whatsoever, and good luck to him.

Always remember him at Ipswich when we won 3 - 2, he was so passionate at full time regarding Shoreham.

He's a good guy and that's how I'll remember him at The Albion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As many have said, not sure why some 'seem' to take pleasure in his so called downfall.

He didn't screw us whatsoever, and good luck to him.

Always remember him at Ipswich when we won 3 - 2, he was so passionate at full time regarding Shoreham.

He's a good guy and that's how I'll remember him at The Albion.

He needs to keep off the candy floss in Southend then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The club wanted Stockdale to move on. Each summer he allowed his fitness to go, deemed unprofessional. Not fitting of a PL no 1, 2 or 3. We have to respect the analysis by CH and his team.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The club wanted Stockdale to move on. Each summer he allowed his fitness to go, deemed unprofessional. Not fitting of a PL no 1, 2 or 3. We have to respect the analysis by CH and his team.

Why did the club offer him a contact? Sorry, but if the club felt he was being unprofessional, then he would have been released.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Whatever the reasons he has gone from being an integral part of a promotion chasing and winning team to an also ran which I think is a shame.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whatever the reasons he has gone from being an integral part of a promotion chasing and winning team to an also ran which I think is a shame.

Yes but that happened well over a year ago. Not much has changed since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here