Status
Not open for further replies.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It’s not nuanced, it’s misjudged and inappropriate

Just lost my connection after writing a lengthy and empathy filled response which was then lost to the ether. Cannot be arsed to start again so you get the light version now.

HWT and offended others, you are all very, very mistaken. EP doesn't have an ill word in him, he was taking the piss out of those, including at times myself, who don't think that ML gives us enough praise. I got the joke, you guys have all been seriously whooshed.

As for humour and potentially fatal conditions? We all treat life and death differently, as long as no one is actually targeted then live and let live, sort of, if you know what I mean.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It’s perfectly obvious the OP was having a gentle dig at some on NSC about Lawro’s perceived ignoring his time at the Albion. It’s also obvious that he was impressed at Lawro thanking all the folk in his health care.

Given the number of folk who have had cancer affect their lives, either personally, or in a family member or friend (or all three), it’s very likely that the OP has himself been affected.

It was a joke. An edgy one? Yep. One that could be foreseen to offend some of those who are currently in the depths of despair because they are affected by cancer? Yep, possibly. It would be a very sad day if we ban people for making edgy jokes. If you don’t like the joke, say so (as many have), and move on. Personally, I smiled - slightly uncomfortably, but I smiled.

Best of luck to Lawro, and all cancer sufferers.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It’s perfectly obvious the OP was having a gentle dig at some on NSC about Lawro’s perceived ignoring his time at the Albion. It’s also obvious that he was impressed at Lawro thanking all the folk in his health care.

Given the number of folk who have had cancer affect their lives, either personally, or in a family member or friend (or all three), it’s very likely that the OP has himself been affected.

It was a joke. An edgy one? Yep. One that could be foreseen to offend some of those who are currently in the depths of despair because they are affected by cancer? Yep, possibly. It would be a very sad day if we ban people for making edgy jokes. If you don’t like the joke, say so (as many have), and move on. Personally, I smiled - slightly uncomfortably, but I smiled.

Best of luck to Lawro, and all cancer sufferers.

Best option would be to move it to the dark section of the forum. ASAP.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Christ why all the drama over a tongue and cheek post from the mod?
Anyone with half a brain knows he wouldn't be out to offend or hurt people.
Suddenly anyone who's lost someone is taking it out on him....Dear o Dear !!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
that feeling you get in your stomach when your HCP says the words " we found cancer unfortunately".....that feeling is not funny, at all.

What a frankly bizarre point.

Nobody has said being told you have cancer is funny. Nobody has said having cancer is funny. Nobody has said cancer is funny.

People are getting offended for the sake of being offended here. You really do have to do some mental gymnastics to make the opening post offensive

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I stepped down from being a mod a few months ago. I somehow doubt that EP will move it, but maybe one of the other mods will want it moved? Dunno.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Absolutely not.

We cannot hide from life or death, but being prepared may make things easier. We really should not try to protect ourselves, and our children, of being aware of reality.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well. That’s your view. Certainly not mine nor plenty of others so don’t try and take the moral high ground here because there really isn’t any to take. You’ve misinterpreted that’s all. Which is fine. And with hindsight perhaps even understandable. But please don’t hyjack or hyperbole the OPs original intent when no offence was ever intended and moreover plenty of people haven’t misconstrued as you seem to have done.

OK.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not an inappropriate post, simply a dig at Brighton fans who oddly find a reason to have a pop at Lawrenson where there is next to no evidence that he doesn't like us..

Fair enough. Looks like I was whooshed. Given that he's evidently OK now and joking about it, in his sardonic way.

Still, not really sure why there is a need to have a go at Brighton fans who misunderstand Lawro. Most of us seem to get him. Anyway, I wouldn't want to hijack such a splendid thread so I'm out.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I have to chuckle at posters on here who continually bring up the subject of Mark Lawrenson and yet a lot of them didn't even see him play. They have read about him and wait with baited breath for him to make mention of his time at BHA. Why should he? He is a Preston lad. His father played for the club and he, himself, made his debut under the great Bobby Charlton. He spent three happy years there before we signed him for £100,000 ( Liverpool were after him at the time ) He didn't want to leave Preston but we were a stepping stone, that is all, before eventually and inevitably, a big money move to Liverpool ensued ( we also didn't want to sell him but had money problems at the time )
Lawro's great love is Preston. In second place comes Liverpool and we are a distant third. I'm sure he enjoyed his time here. He is the best player I have seen in a Brighton shirt in over 50 years. I wish him well, as I do all cancer sufferers. There is nothing vaguely humorous about it. It is ugly and debasing. The treatment is ghastly and if you are fortunate to come through it ( as I have ) you try and get on with your life. The trouble is, it scars you forever. You try and forget about it but it lingers. As positive as you are, the thought is always there that it could come back again. You hope that the months and months of chemo and daily sickness was worth it. You are still here, unlike many less fortunate. Not as you were but still here.
I'm sure the OP is a tongue-in-cheek dig at the ' Lawrenson bemoaners ' but cancer is not the platform for it. It takes too many loved ones from us. Its too sensitive and too painful. It scares us all. The silent assassin who creeps up on us. Often no warning or symptom and often too late post diagnosis. Just hope you are one of the lucky ones who manages to avoid that particular lottery. Its no fun.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Everyone got the point. Barely anyone thought it funny or appropriate. And I’m not remotely offended by his OP. Live with it. Goodnight.

Except all the many people who did. Live with it as you say.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
People who are dealing with cancer are entitled to take whatever steps they can, including joking about it. People who aren't affected do not have the same entitlement, and if they get flamed it is fully deserved.

Absolutely bang on.

It is just not a subject on which jokes could or should be made, if you are not involved. My dad died of cancer and I wouldn’t have wanted to have been patronised in the way some on have thought appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Agreed. He’s a mod, or ex-mod isn’t he ? Should know better. Very, very poor. Worse than the stuff the Nigels post on here.

Really surprised at this post. Poor taste, I'm know he was trying to be funny, but sorry there's nothing funny about this post

As for Lawro, he spent most of his career (49% of total appearances) at Liverpool, we need to get over it. He does still recall his time at the Albion with a great deal of fondness, his regular appearances on the Albion Roar prove that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
People who are dealing with cancer are entitled to take whatever steps they can, including joking about it. People who aren't affected do not have the same entitlement, and if they get flamed it is fully deserved.

Agreed. My first outing after having half my bowel removed was to see Ricky Gervais at the Dome. He spent most of the time taking the piss out of people with cancer. He’s not my most popular “comic”.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just lost my connection after writing a lengthy and empathy filled response which was then lost to the ether. Cannot be arsed to start again so you get the light version now.

HWT and offended others, you are all very, very mistaken. EP doesn't have an ill word in him, he was taking the piss out of those, including at times myself, who don't think that ML gives us enough praise. I got the joke, you guys have all been seriously whooshed.

As for humour and potentially fatal conditions? We all treat life and death differently, as long as no one is actually targeted then live and let live, sort of, if you know what I mean.

Slightly bizarre post given EP is your other account. Anyway, I’m out of this thread.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have adjusted my position on this. Maybe not the funniest post ever but not worthy of the slating I gave it or EP. Apologies.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Flounce off if you need to but actually you’ve missed the point. Be offended, that’s your prerogative and at least bang on trend for finding where none is given / on behalf of others. The only thing lost on this thread is a few people’s sense of proportion because they saw the word cancer and starting booing and hissing without understanding the (generally widely known) context. As per NSC, thereafter a whole number of binfests are off and running including this one.

Absolutely spot on. As Stewart Lee famously repeated over & over & over 'you play the audience you've been dealt'. NSC is an audience and a half.

boik

Look I’m all for not upsetting people, and my dad and my best friend are both currently affected by cancer, but you need to be very poor at understanding comedy not to realise that the joke is all about NSC whingers and not about cancer sufferers. Cancer is a horrible thing, but you absolutely must be able to mention it in all walks of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here