Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women start their WSL campaign this Sunday

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
This Sunday Brighton Women start their first Womens Super League campaign by playing Bristol City at 2pm at Crawley. With the international break in the mens game, this is a perfect time to get along and support the team - I would be there but its my mums 80th birthday so can't make it (dammit).

Tickets available as usual in advance from Seagulls Tickets with pricing as follows:

Adult: £7.00, 65+: £6.00, Under-21: £6.00, Under-18: £5.00, Under-10: £3.00

Tickets will also be available at the gate for:
Adult: £10.00, 65+: £8.00, Under-21: £8.00, Under-18: £7.00, Under-10: £4.00

You can also get a season ticket for the bargain price of just £45 for an adult.

Former captain Vicky Ashton-Jones thinks the team will hold their own, despite the massive challenge this season will be: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c.../ashton-jones-backs-albion-to-be-competitive/

Womens football website Offside Rule have also written an article that discusses Brighton : https://offsiderulepodcast.com/2018...n-make-their-mark-in-the-womens-super-league/

Hope theres a good crowd on Sunday and UTA! :albion2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
New signing from Doncaster Belles, Emily Simpkins, was the first person to chain her bike to the cycle rack planter I'd put outside Kernel Health food shop on Kingsway last week. I feel privileged.
:albion2:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not good, is it?

It's the nature of sports facilities in Sussex. There needs to be a minimum level of stadium capacity to host the matches, and the closest one that isn't the Amex is Crawley.

Out of interest, what is the minimum stadium capacity requirement for WSL?

It seems short-sighted by the governing body that in making Brighton & Hove Albion women play at a ground complies with this rule, they will almost certainly achieve lower gates than if they were permitted to play at one that doesn't.

The law of unintended consequences in action here.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Out of interest, what is the minimum stadium capacity requirement for WSL?

It seems short-sighted by the governing body that in making Brighton & Hove Albion women play at a ground complies with this rule, they will almost certainly achieve lower gates than if they were permitted to play at one that doesn't.

The law of unintended consequences in action here.

The minimum is 2,000 with a capcability of expanding to 6,000.

Try and do - as Martin Perry would say - a sequential site analysis of potential stadiums, and work out which are able to be expanded, with the minimum required facilities; facilities which have to include, among other things, two referee's changing areas, and playing on grass rather than synthetic.

It's the same for everyone. However, Sussex is ludicrously short of such grounds. Additionally, Culver Road, for instance, has loads of room along side of the pitch, but planning permission is an absolute no-no, according to Sussex FA.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The minimum is 2,000 with a capcability of expanding to 6,000.

Try and do - as Martin Perry would say - a sequential site analysis of potential stadiums, and work out which are able to be expanded, with the minimum required facilities; facilities which have to include, among other things, two referee's changing areas, and playing on grass rather than synthetic.

It's the same for everyone. However, Sussex is ludicrously short of such grounds. Additionally, Culver Road, for instance, has loads of room along side of the pitch, but planning permission is an absolute no-no, according to Sussex FA.

Wasn't there once a professional football team that played at the athletic track at Withdean, I seen to remember something about it.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Womens Football magazine http://www.shekicks.net has done interviews with someone from every team in their latest magazine which includes striker Kayleigh Green and manager Hope Powell. Sorry about the poor quality of the photos from the magazine (its only available as paid for print and digital editions and I only do the former) but they should be just about readable. I've also had to do them as links rather than upload the photos as the uploading failed for some reason...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=UzQ0Y0dXSGRmVzBodFpIcjJuYzhCcG1lUkI1MlZB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NWl6WjVXZkpKMjdVTUFDSThlT18zenRjWHpJUjln

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why oh why are they playing at Crawley , this will definitely thin out the crowd

This. Completely nips any sense of excitement or momentum in the bud. I fully understand the reasons for playing the games in poxy Crawley, but YOYOY can't the games be juggled between the Amex and the training ground. Or Worthing. Or Lewes. Or anywhere but poxy Crawley. IMHO its as poor a decision as Palace asking their players to raise £250 if they want to play. We're better than that shirley?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This. Completely nips any sense of excitement or momentum in the bud. I fully understand the reasons for playing the games in poxy Crawley, but YOYOY can't the games be juggled between the Amex and the training ground. Or Worthing. Or Lewes. Or anywhere but poxy Crawley. IMHO its as poor a decision as Palace asking their players to raise £250 if they want to play. We're better than that shirley?

Already given the reasons earlier. Keep up. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I saw the reasons earlier. Doesn't make it any less a crap state of affairs.
Yeah, but you weren't asking that.

You were asking questions to which you already knew the answer.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Crawley move is annoying, yet another pointless FA directive requiring teams to have a capacity and facilities that they do not need. But hey ho it is what it is. Fortunately the Albion support is not limited to the BN postcodes and this moves give the club to market the Womens Team to our North and Mid Sussex support, who will find watching the team more convenient than when we played at Lancing.

I may pop up once this season, but even accessing the Broadfield by public transport from the coast is a pain in the backside. I hope the team can push on and that those fans who now find themselves not too far from Crawley can take advantage of the opportunity to watch our team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here