Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC2 Mothers Day

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I’ve just watched it. An excellent dramatisation of very moving events- effective use of actual footage and interview transcripts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Going to watch it tomorrow on IPlayer although I saw clips and the interview with the Dad last week.

I watched Vanity Fair last night instead.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Haven't seen it but I was there. Was at Manchester University but did a degree at a college they ran in Warrington, long gone.

Lived a few streets down from the first attempted gas works bombing. Nearest I'm come to death and thousand others.

Was in the bathroom on the day and heard helicopters over the town. Looked out the window and then heard the explosion.

An hour later one of the two girls I lived with came back to the house ( she had been shopping near where the bombs went off ) and collapsed in tears shaking on the floor. I'll never forget that, first time I'd seen someone in shock.

For weeks afterwards, it's hard to describe the atmosphere in the town and college. There were subsequent random attacks on Irish pubs, fellow Irish student (some Protestant) were attacked / abused within the co

At that point being young and idealistic I used to have a degree of "sympathy" with the IRA, but it disappeared that day. Whatever the rights and wrongs of history, you don't advance your cause by murdering innocent children cynically in a town populated by many of your fellow Irish and innocent working class folk who hated the government at the time too.

....and you set one bomb so people would walk into the other.

Evil, evil, evil.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here