Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A Weekend In Paris

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
No, not Hilton, the actual place in France.

I (stupidly) said to my girlfriend I'd take her for a weekend as a birthday present. Eurostar is the obvious choice of transport, and looking to go Friday - Sunday. All I'm asking for really is recommendations regarding hotels and what I should be looking to pay, all in, including travel. I've been on the eurostar package site and wondered if there are cheaper ways of booking.

I don't really want to spend more than £500, so any help would be much appreciated!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, not Hilton, the actual place in France.

I (stupidly) said to my girlfriend I'd take her for a weekend as a birthday present. Eurostar is the obvious choice of transport, and looking to go Friday - Sunday. All I'm asking for really is recommendations regarding hotels and what I should be looking to pay, all in, including travel. I've been on the eurostar package site and wondered if there are cheaper ways of booking.

I don't really want to spend more than £500, so any help would be much appreciated!

You haven't said when, so I've randomly thrown some guff together for you...

Once Eurostar is booked, you ought to get change out of 500 notes.

https://booking.eurostar.com/uk-en/...bound-date=2018-10-19&inbound-date=2018-10-21

https://www.booking.com/searchresul...flt=pri=2;class=3;&rsf=class-3&lsf=class|3|23

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
You haven't said when, so I've randomly thrown some guff together for you...

Once Eurostar is booked, you ought to get change out of 500 notes.

https://booking.eurostar.com/uk-en/...bound-date=2018-10-19&inbound-date=2018-10-21

https://www.booking.com/searchresul...flt=pri=2;class=3;&rsf=class-3&lsf=class|3|23

Thanks TLO, I'll look into it. Aiming for mid October. Also, what's the difference between standard and standard premier? First-class is a bit over the top pricey

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks TLO, I'll look into it. Aiming for mid October. Also, what's the difference between standard and standard premier? First-class is a bit over the top pricey

Forget Business Premier.

Standard Premier - if you can find the £10 upgrade ones - includes a light meal and a drink, and better (wider) seats. For the sake of an extra tenner each (and getting brownie points from your girlfriend), I'd go for that if you can.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Forget Business Premier.

Standard Premier - if you can find the £10 upgrade ones - includes a light meal and a drink, and better (wider) seats. For the sake of an extra tenner each (and getting brownie points from your girlfriend), I'd go for that if you can.

Fully agree. Meal, booze, big comfy seats, fewer kids all for an extra tenner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You'll want to grab yourself one of these each:

https://booking.parisinfo.com/il4-offer_i149-paris-visite-pass-pass-transport.aspx

Zone 1-3 (basically the entire city except for the airport) for three days will cover you for buses, trains, trams and metro.

EDIT Zone 1 - 3 covers everything except the airports, Disney Land and Versaille. It's still pretty cheap to get to those places though if you planned on it.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
...and register for cash back on a website and get 10% of the hotel cost back paid to you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Avoid the area around the station. Paris can be lovely if you stay in a nice district or very rough if you stay in the wrong district. General advice try to be as central as possible whilst avoiding the champs eleysee which is touristy and like Oxford st in London. Nicest area is probably left bank especially st germain des pres.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oh! Also, this is a recommendation for going anywhere in Europe really but open a Monzo account.

It's an online only bank which allows you to withdraw up to £200 abroad with no fees. Take your Euros in hard currency, whack a couple of hundred into your Monzo account for any emergencies.

Here's the blurb from their site:

Cash withdrawals abroad
It costs Monzo money every time you withdraw cash abroad, so we introduced some limits after a vote by our customers.

Withdraw up to £200 every 30 days for free. If you've used your free allowance, there's a 3% charge on withdrawals after that.

We only aim to cover our costs, and don't make a profit from these charges.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
£350 return on Eurostar seems a bit steep. Having never used it, instead driven and taken the tunnel or ferry, I expected it to be £99 return or something.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here