Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
shipping-forecast-locations.png

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I listen to this every night after work. Sailing by-Shipping forecast-National anthem-sleep.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The shipping forecast and Test match commentary the radio are two of my favourite things blimey I came over all Von Trap for a moment then

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Used to be essential listening before the days of the T'internet……."Dover, Wight , Portland SW 3-4 gusting 5-6 for a time....."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I listen to this on night shift and have listened to it for years. My Dad always listened to the night time edition, being a sea-fairing man and he listened to it religiously before turning in for the night. The night he died in a hospice, and this seems fantastical but I swear it's true, at 00:45 the shipping forecast came on, we sat and listened to it and by the time the closing Sailing By finished he had passed.
It has a large place in my heart.

As an aside, Attention All Shipping: A journey round the shipping forecast by Charlie Connelly is a brilliant read.

Now, it's been a while since i have read it but it contains the immortal sentence (I cannot remember the exact location he is writing about but let's just say it's the Orkney's, someone on here is bound to recall though)...

"The residents of Orkney are a collection of some of the ugliest people I have ever seen, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Palace are at home". Fantastic!

Last edited:

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
On long wave it was a pesky nuisance to land lubbers trying to listen to Test Match Special ....

Hurrah for DBS

I was just thinking the same, but it that not what listening to TMS on long wave was all about ? as English as tea and scones

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I did read a while back that it's essentially obsolete now, as most boats have the technology to obtain their own weather forecasts, but the BBC don't dare to bin it off because it's such an institution.

theboybilly

I listen to this on night shift and have listened to it for years. My Dad always listened to the night time edition, being a sea-fairing man and he listened to it religiously before turning in for the night. The night he died in a hospice, and this seems fantastical but I swear it's true, at 00:45 the shipping forecast came on, we sat and listened to it and by the time the closing Sailing By finished he had passed.
It has a large place in my heart.

As an aside, Attention All Shipping: A journey round the shipping forecast by Charlie Connelly is a brilliant read.

Now, it's been a while since i have read it but it contains the immortal sentence (I cannot remember the exact location he is writing about but let's just say it's the Orkney's, someone on here is bound to recall though)...

"The residents of Orkney are a collection of some of the ugliest people I have ever seen, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Palace are at home". Fantastic!

To be fair Charlie Connelly is a Charlton fan. A great read nevertheless

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Humber, Dogger, Fisher, Bight.

Marvellous.

Now who can tell me where they last saw this:

Humber, Singer, Comma, Dodge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here