Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did Knockaert do last season?

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Hi all, one of the Iranian fans here. Have really enjoyed getting to know the team these past few games and really happy about the way the boys fought back today. One question I've had is how in your eyes did Knockaert do last season? He appears to be one of the most consistent players on the pitch and his creativity is the spark behind a lot of good movement up front. I just wonder if this is new or not.. I don't really see why Brighton spent so much money on Alireza Jahanbakhsh when they have a pretty good RW already. I was actually a bit surprised to see Knockaert come off today (and seems he wasn't thrilled about it either) but just wondering whether he was just as good last season or is this a new form? Thanks.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The short answer is yes, just as good.

For what it's worth a good many of us were surprised to see him substituted on Saturday, when in my opinion it should have been Solly March who came off, and then Alireza, or maybe even Knockaert himeself could have switched to the left wing.

His game last season, our first since promotion, needed to change. Prior to that he did a lot of attacking, terrorising Championship defenders, scoring goals and lots of assists too. Now we are in the Premier league, the defences are better and he has to defend more and track opposing players, so perhaps some of the attacking impetus is missing for now.

Still such a good player to watch though, and a real talisman of the club.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I read (and tend to agree) that he was probably subbed to avoid him getting carded; he can get a bit "over-enthusiastic" when tacking back and sometimes goes in a bit too recklessly.

Oh, and talking of Iran, I had to laugh; in the west lower there was someone with an Iranian flag draped over the hoarding. Trouble is the tubby photographer sat smack dab in front of it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi all, one of the Iranian fans here. Have really enjoyed getting to know the team these past few games and really happy about the way the boys fought back today. One question I've had is how in your eyes did Knockaert do last season? He appears to be one of the most consistent players on the pitch and his creativity is the spark behind a lot of good movement up front. I just wonder if this is new or not.. I don't really see why Brighton spent so much money on Alireza Jahanbakhsh when they have a pretty good RW already. I was actually a bit surprised to see Knockaert come off today (and seems he wasn't thrilled about it either) but just wondering whether he was just as good last season or is this a new form? Thanks.

In terms of why did we spend so much on Ali J when we already have AK, Chris is very clear that he wants full competition for every position. The club have visibly been upgrading the cover with virtually every purchase to continuously strengthen the squad - those currently seen as ‘cover’ ideally being as good, if not better, than those currently with the shirt. Have patience - Ali will get his chance (thought he looked good when he came on on Saturday).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Knockaert got better and better as last season progressed. I think it was partly due to the team growing in confidence which freed him to attack a little more. His commitment is second to none, I think he's a very special player who can lift the players around him, rouse the crowd and create something from nothing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He was one tackle from a red card he was lucky on two occasions not to connect with the player with two desperate challenges already.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Knocky was player of the year in the championship in our promotion season and rightly so, he terrorised defences on his day that season. Last season I think he found it tougher than most to adapt to the step up to the Premier League (something Leicester fans said about him too) but he still had some outstanding moments and a few amazing games. He wears his heart on his sleeve and when things don’t go his way he can get temperamental and looks like he has somewhat of a tantrum which can get him into trouble. He’s definitely started this season better and so far looks to be making better choices in terms of not trying to do it all himself every time, no doubt down to the way he’s being coached.

As others have said Chris Hughton has always said he wants 2 players for every position and every incoming player needs to be as good or better than what we already have.

I think it’s going to take Alireza a little while longer before he’s properly ready to challenge AK for a starting spot, Jose Izquierdo was pretty anonymous for the early part of last season but found his feet and became a big player for us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In terms of why did we spend so much on Ali J when we already have AK, Chris is very clear that he wants full competition for every position. The club have visibly been upgrading the cover with virtually every purchase to continuously strengthen the squad - those currently seen as ‘cover’ ideally being as good, if not better, than those currently with the shirt. Have patience - Ali will get his chance (thought he looked good when he came on on Saturday).

I sort f think that summary is correct by default.

I think Ali J was signed because Knockeart wasn't really creating as much as was hoped of him in the PL and that for the most part last season he was disappointing. The arrival of Jahanbaksh has actually seen Knockeart raise his workrate and performance so the competition has really brought out the best in Knockeart.

I think Knocky loves it so much at Brighton that he will throw everything he has at trying to remain in the team and the fans and the Manager can't really ask any more than that from what is an already very talented player.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I think Ali J was signed because Knockeart wasn't really creating as much as was hoped of him in the PL and that for the most part last season he was disappointing. The arrival of Jahanbaksh has actually seen Knockeart raise his workrate and performance so the competition has really brought out the best in Knockeart.

I think Knocky loves it so much at Brighton that he will throw everything he has at trying to remain in the team and the fans and the Manager can't really ask any more than that from what is an already very talented player.

WTF does that mean ? :shrug::moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
LOL

It means - I think he was possibly bought to replace Knockeart; however that competition you refer to has seen Knocky raise his game and hence for now retain his place

He wasn't bought to replace him - he was bought to compete with him and strengthen the squad..........

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Knockaert is the heartbeat of the team along with Stephens IMO, when they aren’t at full pelt we generally struggle to get going.

Last season Knockaert missed pre-season after picking up an injury, and was fairly ordinary thereafter right up to February/March when he started to improve.

His best performance was Utd home, worst Everton away, when he stupidly got sent off - I think that may have been a catalyst for him.

Other than competition, I also found the signing of AJ a strange one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

This. Last year AK struggled in the first half of the season to showcase why he'd been Championship player of the season, and the net result was often a lot of sulking on the pitch - which I don't think does him much credit. He did have some outstanding games later in season, but this certainly raised enough doubt that he would be a creative player you could rely on in this league.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He certainly struggled at the start of last season, but as the team grew in confidence so did Knocky. This season he's started great, it appears the extra competition for his place has really pushed him on. He had another good game against Fulham, trying to create things, his run for the first Murray goal was great, and a sign of how much better he is as at the start of last season he may well have tried to go for goal himself rather than playing Murray in.

He clearly got taken off on Saturday as his head had gone a bit, he's prone to that and to get him off before he got a red card makes sense. As for his reaction to getting subbed off, that's the reaction he gives most of the time even when his head hasn't gone. He wants to be on the pitch playing, and I want that quality in a Brighton player. Sure he's petulant at times, he must irritate and annoy the hell out of opposition players and fans (see Sheffield Wednesday away) but he wouldn't be the same player without those qualities.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He certainly struggled at the start of last season, but as the team grew in confidence so did Knocky. This season he's started great, it appears the extra competition for his place has really pushed him on. He had another good game against Fulham, trying to create things, his run for the first Murray goal was great, and a sign of how much better he is as at the start of last season he may well have tried to go for goal himself rather than playing Murray in.

He clearly got taken off on Saturday as his head had gone a bit, he's prone to that and to get him off before he got a red card makes sense. As for his reaction to getting subbed off, that's the reaction he gives most of the time even when his head hasn't gone. He wants to be on the pitch playing, and I want that quality in a Brighton player. Sure he's petulant at times, he must irritate and annoy the hell out of opposition players and fans (see Sheffield Wednesday away) but he wouldn't be the same player without those qualities.

Spot on, on all points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here