Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Based on AK performance yesterday he is certain to start at Fulham
No the subject of the thread is Solly March so he refers to Solly, unless I have forgotten my English school lessons of some 60+ years ago.
You've forgotten your lessons. 'He' refers to the last person (or male) you referenced, so in your sentence 'he' would mean AK. However, since most of us know our team didn't do well yesterday, we could guess you meant Solly.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Is that the Solly March that has more assists and shots this season than any other Brighton player, or someone else called March?

It does help when he has played a lot more minutes than all the other wingers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After yesterday's performance...I'll agree with Chris's regular 11

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Absolutely this.

In the modern game, it’s hard for a team to carry one or two players doing all of; not always putting in a shift, not tracking back every time, arguing with officials, not passing when dribbling isn’t on.

CH’s faith in Murray, March, Stephens and Gross is spot on.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The March versus Knockaert debate is laughable. The three major areas of contention seem to be:

1. Crossing - March is often cautious and is criticised for not getting the ball into the box early enough and instead, checking back inside and retaining possession. It’s frustrating but it’s usually good decision making. Yesterday we saw Knockaert continuously failing to find anyone. His corners are also far less accurate than March’s. March a clear winner for me. March gets assists when he does cross. Knocky doesn’t.

2. Taking a player on - knockaert loves to do this. However, he loses the ball far to often for me. He cut a hugely frustrated figure yesterday. March’s decision making seems to be far better, retaining possession rather than consistently trying to beat a man and regularly losing it. I think March’s judgement is better, despite Knocky’s ability in this area. He’s too predictable, a one trick pony

3. Defending - no contest for me. Knockaert gives it 100% but lacks the discipline of March, who just seems to have a better footballing brain.

I’d love to see the Knockaert of 2016/17 week in week out but I think Premier League defenders are too just too canny for him. I honestly can’t see a single persuasive argument for knockaert’s inclusion

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The March versus Knockaert debate is laughable. The three major areas of contention seem to be:

1. Crossing - March is often cautious and is criticised for not getting the ball into the box early enough and instead, checking back inside and retaining possession. It’s frustrating but it’s usually good decision making. Yesterday we saw Knockaert continuously failing to find anyone. His corners are also far less accurate than March’s. March a clear winner for me. March gets assists when he does cross. Knocky doesn’t.

2. Taking a player on - knockaert loves to do this. However, he loses the ball far to often for me. He cut a hugely frustrated figure yesterday. March’s decision making seems to be far better, retaining possession rather than consistently trying to beat a man and regularly losing it. I think March’s judgement is better, despite Knocky’s ability in this area. He’s too predictable, a one trick pony

3. Defending - no contest for me. Knockaert gives it 100% but lacks the discipline of March, who just seems to have a better footballing brain.

I’d love to see the Knockaert of 2016/17 week in week out but I think Premier League defenders are too just too canny for him. I honestly can’t see a single persuasive argument for knockaert’s inclusion

Nailed.

Solly knows his limitations, and you get the impression through his progress this season over last, that he’s working his socks off to improve markedly. For example, he was immense against CP’s diving expert, possibly making him MOTM.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Nailed.

Solly knows his limitations, and you get the impression through his progress this season over last, that he’s working his socks off to improve markedly. For example, he was immense against CP’s diving expert, possibly making him MOTM.

Team player vs individual. You can choose the latter when they are delivering, but Knocky sadly isn’t and hasn’t for 18 months

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Really good analysis, although re 2, I'd say that sometimes Solly's decision-making errs on the cautious side and it's this, alongside his failure to capitalise on certain highly promising situations -- I'm thinking particularly of the one-on-ones he had against Arsenal and Fulham(?) -- that warrants criticism. Beyond this, he's as dependable as they come, and he puts in a real shift too, and carries out his manager's instructions to a tee.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Really good analysis, although re 2, I'd say that sometimes Solly's decision-making errs on the cautious side and it's this, alongside his failure to capitalise on certain highly promising situations -- I'm thinking particularly of the one-on-ones he had against Arsenal and Fulham(?) -- that warrants criticism. Beyond this, he's as dependable as they come, and he puts in a real shift too, and carries out his manager's instructions to a tee.

Oh definitely, he’s not the finished article by a long stretch, but anyone claiming Knockaert should start is surely doing so on sentiment.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Having started this thread based on the performances of March in the opening weeks of the season and in particular against Fulham on 1st Sept, it has become abundantly clear that Solly is now clearly far higher in the pecking order for selection above Knocky and I would put this mainly down to him being a far better team player. My concerns over Solly’s inconsistent end product and ability to make a tackle remains, but he brings a whole lot more to the team performance than Knockaert whose performance yesterday can only be described as trying to make it all about him and he appeared solely focused on scoring a goal himself than creating chances for others. Also, his dive in the penalty area in the first half was embarrassing and I can’t believe he didn’t get booked for it. Once AJ returns from the Asia cup and Izquierdo returns to full fitness I think Knocky is going to find himself right at the bottom of the pile for selection behind March, Locadia, AJ & Izquierdo.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
What is the latest news and expected return date of Izzy?

I can't answer this but during the game yesterday I was trying to remember who our wingers were and why we keep playing Locadia out wide. I knew there was someone was missing but couldn't think of who it was.

It was only when I was queuing for a train after the game, whilst listening to radio Sussex, that Warren asked the same question. Oh yes, that's who it was...:)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having started this thread based on the performances of March in the opening weeks of the season and in particular against Fulham on 1st Sept, it has become abundantly clear that Solly is now clearly far higher in the pecking order for selection above Knocky and I would put this mainly down to him being a far better team player. My concerns over Solly’s inconsistent end product and ability to make a tackle remains, but he brings a whole lot more to the team performance than Knockaert whose performance yesterday can only be described as trying to make it all about him and he appeared solely focused on scoring a goal himself than creating chances for others. Also, his dive in the penalty area in the first half was embarrassing and I can’t believe he didn’t get booked for it. Once AJ returns from the Asia cup and Izquierdo returns to full fitness I think Knocky is going to find himself right at the bottom of the pile for selection behind March, Locadia, AJ & Izquierdo.

I hadn't noticed any problem with March's tackling, and can think of certain games where he put numerous in, such as against the 'gravity-challenged one' but, as you've raised it within a decent analysis, I'll look out for it over the next few games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hadn't noticed any problem with March's tackling, and can think of certain games where he put numerous in, such as against the 'gravity-challenged one' but, as you've raised it within a decent analysis, I'll look out for it over the next few games.

Careful, you don't want to catch Bongitis.

Start looking for his perceived negatives and you'll no longer be able to see all his fantastic attributes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here