Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leon Balogun interview in The Times today.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/from-marking-messi-in-russia-to-settling-on-south-coast-9kjh0x8sk

Behind the Times paywall, of course. Not much about mighty Albion in there, but a few snippets:.

He has delighted Brighton fans by being spotted in town, embracing his new surroundings. “I don’t make a fuss that I’m a football player. I like to be around normal people. I like to mingle,” he says. “Sometimes you would meet me — not in a pub, but some local coffee place — sitting between other people. Everybody says, ‘But you’re a football player, and you just sit there with normal people?’ But I am normal too. I just play football and football just happens to be quite popular in the world.

“I’m just a human being like anyone else. I know there is a culture of some football players who go to certain places, fancy restaurants, and I don’t mind going to a fancy place sometimes but I don’t need it every day. If I’m on vacation, I like to go to local businesses to eat. That’s how you get a feel for the culture of the place. I like to be grounded and stay humble.

“My race is human being. My religion is love and that should be the approach for everyone. Am I religious? Let’s say I’m spiritual. I think there’s an almighty force out there. I think everybody has an inner God, and everybody is able to activate this. You just try to be a good person, do the right things.”

And:

He has played twice, in the famous 3-2 win over Manchester United and the narrow loss away to Liverpool. “When I first saw the schedule, I was, ‘Oooh that’s nice. I’ll get the real feeling straight off.’ With Liverpool, you always have to be sharp and ready, because they try to pull you out, and then use the gap for runners. Manchester United are not in their best shape right now which was good for us. But we could have even scored more. We were excellent.

“Nobody here feels more important than another. Some players ask me about the World Cup, but not too much. The World Cup doesn’t count here any more. It is about the Premier League and staying in there the second year.”

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I''ll pre-emptive all the positive comments that will follow.

Remarkable for a player to come into the league and look born to it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This free transfer is already looking our best signing so far. Just goes to prove you don't always have to spend big or anything at all.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I know exactly how he feels. I mix with normal (and many abnormal) people from time to time. I don't really like to do it, but I do because that's the humble kind of guy I am.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
its incredible it really is , today my grandson will be in the west stand watching Brighton for the first time in a £100m stadium with a record costing Brighton squad
from the preistfield to this moment with top class players that are also top class people ..... blimey:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This free transfer is already looking our best signing so far. Just goes to prove you don't always have to spend big or anything at all.

If anything a price tag can be an irritant. Complaining that so many millions of pounds are just sitting on the bench.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some people can’t believe that he drinks coffee in normal coffee shops, sitting beside normal people. :facepalm:

Casper Ankergren used to do it all the time. Mind you, he wasn't in the Prem, and didn't play in the World Cup. It makes a big difference, you know.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Casper Ankergren used to do it all the time. Mind you, he wasn't in the Prem, and didn't play in the World Cup. It makes a big difference, you know.

And on the subject of Albion goalkeepers, Peter Grummitt used to sell me cigars in his tobacco shop near the clock tower.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Text book Hughton signing. Superb attitude and equally good player.

Perfect replacement for Uwe.
Same hard-work and team ethic, but slightly higher ability level.
Once he gets up to speed in the Prem, could be serious competition to D&D (probably more Lewis, given his build)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Once he gets up to speed in the Prem, could be serious competition to D&D (probably more Lewis, given his build)
Don't think he'll be losing the shirt, tbh

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

A few months ago this would have been unthinkable, but I’d say you’re spot on. It also should not be overlooked how well Duffy has been playing alongside Balogun.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A few months ago this would have been unthinkable, but I’d say you’re spot on. It also should not be overlooked how well Duffy has been playing alongside Balogun.

That could also be due to Montoya playing on his right, instead of Bruno. Sorry for the blasphemy, as I love Bruno to bits, but Montoya is excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here