Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Coca-Cola to buy Costa coffee for £3.9bn

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Whitbread done a blinding bit of business there, for years Costa was the most (only?) profitable arm of the company.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read that it’s because younger people are drinking more coffee than fizzy pop these days. Lots of “woke” sixth formers sitting around in coffee shops taking about feelings rather than heading to the shittiest boozer in town and trying to get served. Makes business sense I suppose. I don’t drink coffee very much (it goes through me like a dose of salts and makes my feet twitchy) except as a treat after a meal out with lots of cream and sugar.

I only drink pop when I’m hungover but I tend to go for the big cheapo own brand stuff for 19p a litre. I’m not really Costa or Cokes’s target market.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm surprised the coffee snobs haven't chipped in on this.
Shirley you lot wouldn't pay 3.9p for hot ditch water?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45365893

Not so much a coffee snob [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], just more of an indication of where we are today.
Each coffee brand has its own age range these days IMO!
An example I'm talking of, is when I did jury service at the OB, a couple of years ago, all of us went for coffee during a break in proceedings, I suggested Costa Coffee, but because the majority of the 12 were of a younger generation, they all opted for Pret!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Costa coffee seems to be appalling no matter where you get it. Yes, I said it, coffee snob shame me all you like.

They've done an amazing job of building a brand on absolutely nothing, no USP whatsoever yet they dominate the market.

Great marketing and business acumen, crap product lapped up by people that wouldn't know a good coffee if it slapped them in the chops.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They've done an amazing job of building a brand on absolutely nothing, no USP whatsoever yet they dominate the market.
My mate was their first ever postman.

They were in a backroom office, up a rickety wooden staircase, tucked away in the arse-end of nowhere behind a load of other companies.

He couldn't wait for the day when such a poor business based on a crap idea went to the wall, so he didn't have to trek round there every day.

:lolol:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Costa coffee seems to be appalling no matter where you get it. Yes, I said it, coffee snob shame me all you like.

Great marketing and business acumen, crap product lapped up by people that wouldn't know a good coffee if it slapped them in the chops.

I think it's two things

Location spotting. They tend to be in central high visibility locations. I don't think people think "lets get a costa" in the way they might say "lets get a starbucks", but if you see one and you might say, "theres a costa that'll do".
Comfortable easy brand. For middle aged, elderberry or less "hipster" customers they're a safe option. You're going to know their menu, you aren't going to feel out of place or worry you've ordered the wrong thing.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think the youngsters think it’s trendy now to walk around with a Costa cup.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here