Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Valley Gardens works

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Oh bless.

The freeflowing movement of traffic at the pier roundabout. :lol:

Do that again when it's not the middle of the day and the sun's out!

But I use that roundabout a lot during peak times in the summer. It works. There are hold-ups but nothing major.
The 'no right turn' from pool valley and in front of the Queens Hotel. Taxis ignore that anyway but it will effect me as I drive from the Old Ship and turn at the roundabout to go west.
If a bus lane using taxi is complaining then something must be wrong.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh bless.

The freeflowing movement of traffic at the pier roundabout. :lol:

Do that again when it's not the middle of the day and the sun's out!

It's always worked for me and I've driven around it at rush hour and during the height of summer. I've very rarely got stuck there. Traffic lights there are nothing short of madness ..... much like the whole scheme !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I must be so unlucky as pretty much every time I approach that roundabout from the north or east, heading west, I'm sat in gridlocked traffic through to Hove.

That said it's always been easy and quick on the bike.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I must be so unlucky as pretty much every time I approach that roundabout from the north or east, heading west, I'm sat in gridlocked traffic through to Hove.

That said it's always been easy and quick on the bike.

Go by bike then!
But what you've just described is not the roundabout but Kings Road from the pier to the i360. Yes it's bad and if you have time I'll explain why.
I work along this stretch of road, near to Buddies. A few years ago the council wanted to put street lighting along the centre of the road in front of Buddies and so put an island along the middle. Then they changed their mind about the lights but kept the island. A 5 lane road thus became 4 lanes and with non stop delivery lorries outside the shops and restaurants it became a 3 lane road. Then the works went in at the bottom of West Street and it became a 2 lane road and long queues. Note, from 4 lanes to 2 lanes, just what they want to do on the east side of Valley Gardens.

And for the bike lovers/haters amongst you how about this. The council are putting bike racks on the pavement outside the shops around Buddies. So what? Well the shops pay to put items on the pavement but must leave 2.5 metres of space for pedestrians, a gap big enough on a hot August day. Shove bike racks down and the gap becomes 0.75 metre, not big enough for a pushchair. Why not put the bike racks on the south side of Kings Road because that's where the bike lane is.

Rant over, thanks for reading.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Difficult to implement this scheme effectively without a significant increase in viable options for drivers who do not want to sit in their car for hours. Just doing half of it and hoping that things 'work out' is not going to help much and will have a massive impact on town centre trade IMO.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Difficult to implement this scheme effectively without a significant increase in viable options for drivers who do not want to sit in their car for hours. Just doing half of it and hoping that things 'work out' is not going to help much and will have a massive impact on town centre trade IMO.

Isn't part of the thinking of the scheme is to cut down the number of drivers in the centre. And it's hoped that it will have a massive impact on trade - shops have been suffering in the past few years and need a boost from more pedestrian and cycle zones.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Isn't part of the thinking of the scheme is to cut down the number of drivers in the centre. And it's hoped that it will have a massive impact on trade - shops have been suffering in the past few years and need a boost from more pedestrian and cycle zones.

Just wondering where how all the pedestrians are going to get there?

MONORAIL!!!!!!!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
An update on the works.
The northern quarter of North Victoria Gardens has been cordoned off whilst cable trenching takes place.
The eastern side of the road has been re-curbed and re-paved.

Attachments

• P1100622.JPG
    P1100622.JPG
    993.8 KB · Views: 349
  • P1100624.JPG
    P1100624.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 350
  • P1100625.JPG
    P1100625.JPG
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 352
  • P1100623.JPG
    P1100623.JPG
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 355

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The eastern side pavement opposite South Victoria Gardens has also been re-curbed and re-paved.
The right turn towards Church Street has been blocked off due to what looks like more services installation.

Attachments

• P1100626.JPG
    P1100626.JPG
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 343
  • P1100627.JPG
    P1100627.JPG
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 347
  • P1100628.JPG
    P1100628.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 351
  • P1100629.JPG
    P1100629.JPG
    989.7 KB · Views: 349

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have used the roundabout countless times as a cyclist, driver and pedestrian, in a lifetime as a Brightonian. Never had any problems coming from/to any direction. No accidents, near accidents, fear of using it, and only short delays.

Works very well.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Is this expensive change for change sake, or simply to make car journeys (and therefore pollution) more time consuming/greater. Designed so that drivers are bullied into using the amazing integrated public transport which doesn’t exist?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Have used the roundabout countless times as a cyclist, driver and pedestrian, in a lifetime as a Brightonian. Never had any problems coming from/to any direction. No accidents, near accidents, fear of using it, and only short delays.
A few years' ago, I was cycling around this roundabout from west to east. I was dressed in lots of high-vis. As I got half way across, a car came straight out and knocked me off of my bike and in the process, folded the front wheel in half. The driver got out of his car to see how I was. I grabbed him politely by the throat and pinned him to his car bonnet and said I was absolutely fine but my bike was now in a FUBAR situation. He gave me twenty quid and said he hoped that covered it. I said thanks very much. The bike only cost that. I picked up the bike and walked the short distance home carrying it!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few years' ago, I was cycling around this roundabout from west to east. I was dressed in lots of high-vis. As I got half way across, a car came straight out and knocked me off of my bike and in the process, folded the front wheel in half. The driver got out of his car to see how I was. I grabbed him politely by the throat and pinned him to his car bonnet and said I was absolutely fine but my bike was now in a FUBAR situation. He gave me twenty quid and said he hoped that covered it. I said thanks very much. The bike only cost that. I picked up the bike and walked the short distance home carrying it!

Fair point. But myself or mates on cycles have had similar incidents, or the classic of the car overtaking then cutting in left, all over the city. Too many places to mention, but Church Road, Hove, The Drive spring to mind.

Because some drivers are crap, and having driving experience, when cycling I simply assume that drivers are going to do these thinds, so am cautious because of that. Wrong, but I want to live.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It’s not a pleasant part of town but I’m not sure what is proposed, overall, will make it much better.

Maybe the most practical / pragmatic solution is to leave the traffic routes as they are and work on the details- e.g. improved pedestrian crossings, remove all the horrible railings, tweak the roundabout layout etc. I’m sure they could find a way to spend all the funding doing that sort of thing.

Or can they only access the funding if they do something dramatic to the traffic routes? Seems a bit like change for change’s sake TBH.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
D1me5NbXQAA1_2e.jpg

[tweet]1105838467261575170[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1034129088997478401[/tweet]

[tweet]1138193084121006083[/tweet]

& from the 1960's

D8uzKeIX4AAKw32.jpg

My twitter feed has been more cycling heavy then usual, this morning.
I love this:-

[tweet]1138708358498856960[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Butcher joined by Felicity Kendal and Jeremy Clarkson in revolt against £42m cycle lane plan in Notting Hill

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...-against-42m-cycle-lane-plan-in-a4165251.html

TV star Jeremy Clarkson tweeted: “They’re going to take down all the trees to make life easier for cyclists. I mean, who voted for these people?”

Actress Felicity Kendal said the proposals would “cause considerable lack of trade to the area” by requiring a “short-sighted” reduction in parking spaces. She added: “It is a dreadful plan and needs to be reconsidered.”

Will Norman, the Mayor’s cycling and walking commissioner, said: “There were 128 collisions over the last three years on this short stretch of road. It is dangerous.
“A tiny number of trees can be replaced, but the lives lost as a consequence of dangerous roads and the impact of air pollution cannot.”

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Butcher joined by Felicity Kendal and Jeremy Clarkson in revolt against £42m cycle lane plan in Notting Hill

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...-against-42m-cycle-lane-plan-in-a4165251.html

TV star Jeremy Clarkson tweeted: “They’re going to take down all the trees to make life easier for cyclists. I mean, who voted for these people?”

Actress Felicity Kendal said the proposals would “cause considerable lack of trade to the area” by requiring a “short-sighted” reduction in parking spaces. She added: “It is a dreadful plan and needs to be reconsidered.”

Will Norman, the Mayor’s cycling and walking commissioner, said: “There were 128 collisions over the last three years on this short stretch of road. It is dangerous.
“A tiny number of trees can be replaced, but the lives lost as a consequence of dangerous roads and the impact of air pollution cannot.”

said many local cyclists also opposed TfL’s plans.

So even the cyclists don't like the scheme.

At £42m perhaps it should be a toll cycle lane

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
said many local cyclists also opposed TfL’s plans.

So even the cyclists don't like the scheme.

At £42m perhaps it should be a toll cycle lane
That maybe the case it was more of a side swipe at Flick Kendall and the mind numbingly stupid assessment of 'local businesses will suffer', despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here