Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] All drinking is bad for you

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seriously, as if going out of the Carabao Cup and not being to take a flask to the Amex any more wasn't enough, now we can't drink anything at all...

The global study, which claims to be the most comprehensive of its kind, pours cold water on previous reports that espouse the protective effects of alcohol under some conditions.

While researchers acknowledged that moderate drinking can protect against heart disease and diabetes, they said that the risks of cancer and other illnesses outweigh those benefits and have called for a change in medical guidance.

"The widely held view of the health benefits of alcohol needs revising," said the report published in The Lancet medical journal.

The majority of national guidelines suggest that one or two glasses of wine or beer per day are safe for an adult's health. However, the report's authors said, "Our results show that the safest level of drinking is none."​

From >>> https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/hea...ontent=The+New+Solution+to+the+Midlife+Crisis

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if this is based on the same article from last week, the risk increase in the report was 0.4%, which normally would be considered not statistically signifcant. there seems to be some sort of anti-alcohol conspriacy about that will take any evidence and try to amend public policy.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Guess it depends on your preference on 'how you go'

People who are teetotal in middle age are at greater risk of developing dementia than those who drink moderate amounts, with benefits particularly apparent in wine drinkers, a new study has found.

Researchers found abstinence was associated with a 45 per cent increase in the chances of getting dementia by early old age, compared to those who drank within recommended limits – up to a bottle and a half of wine a week.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-middle-age-teetotal-abstinence-a8473351.html

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
if this is based on the same article from last week, the risk increase in the report was 0.4%, which normally would be considered not statistically signifcant. there seems to be some sort of anti-alcohol conspriacy about that will take any evidence and try to amend public policy.

Sounds good to me. I'll get right on it now.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
If think the 'expert comment' at the end of The Guardian's piece on it sums it up quite nicely:

David Spiegelhalter, Winton professor for the public understanding of risk at the University of Cambridge, said the data showed only a very low level of harm in moderate drinkers and suggested UK guidelines were very low risk.

“Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no ‘safe’ level does not seem an argument for abstention,” he said. “There is no safe level of driving, but government do not recommend that people avoid driving. Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention.”

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/society...level-of-alcohol-consumption-says-major-study

As for me, I shall be imbibing this weekend as usual.*

*In moderation of course...

*Pinocchio*

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ffs. What would life be without ridiculously named and over priced craft beer?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Guess it depends on your preference on 'how you go'

People who are teetotal in middle age are at greater risk of developing dementia than those who drink moderate amounts, with benefits particularly apparent in wine drinkers, a new study has found.

Researchers found abstinence was associated with a 45 per cent increase in the chances of getting dementia by early old age, compared to those who drank within recommended limits – up to a bottle and a half of wine a week.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-middle-age-teetotal-abstinence-a8473351.html

That post was great right up until I saw 'week'. FFS.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A bottle and a half a, FFS, now I've got to start to campaign for a half day week!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
As a man who has been conscientiously on it for the past 40 years, and who has given it up a month ago.......

I am MUCH nicer now to other people. Family, friends etc.

And so far, not much happier in myself.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've stopped drinking alcohol altogether after hearing this news. I'm injecting it now instead.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not drinking

aldi-alcoholic-ice-lollies__large.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you will find breathing has health risks, what with all the pollution and everything.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
For my 70th birthday I was given 6 70cl bottles of “ champagne “ cider, and 24 1 pint bottles of various ciders.

I drank it all, to protect others.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For my 70th birthday I was given 6 70cl bottles of “ champagne “ cider, and 24 1 pint bottles of various ciders.

I drank it all, to protect others.

:lolol:

You've had yer three score and ten. Now you're protecting others. Such altruism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here