Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Nation,s League,explained.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Right as it stands we have the WC and Euro,s every two years so does the N/L replace the Euro,s outright (i doubt it) so that leaves one year free of so called out of season football,what can we fill it with ? Eh,more football.:censored: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45346096

It’s not more football though. It’s the same slots that used to be used for friendlies will now be nations league or competitive matches (which will also give you a second bite at Euro qualification) . And there will now be a final every year in the calendar.
2018 - World Cup, 2019 - nations cup, 2020 Euros , 2021 - nations cup #2 2022 World Cup (in November) etc
The format is fiendishly complicated though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit of a problem differentiating between commas and apostrophes. Plus incorrect use of whatever a / is called. A forward slash or backward slash, perhaps?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They've missed the opportunity to have a proper league of European nations with promotion and relegation. Shame really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
_97978853_nationsleaguescreengrab.png

orig

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Pretty simple tbh. It gives the top twelve international teams an opportunity to win a competitive trophy;

Group 1: Germany, France, Netherlands

Group 2: Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland

Group 3: Portugal, Italy, Poland

Group 4: Spain, England, Croatia

and then the other teams get another chance at qualification for the Euros and everyone can get relegated and promoted.

Though there is still space for them it should be the death of international friendlies. Good riddance.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
The Apostrophe Explained

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I like this idea...

Me too - has to be better than meaningless friendlies. Also, as they are competitive matches, they will have a bigger effect on rankings points, meaning that we will need to field a strong team if we want kinder draws at the World Cup and Euros. It will also stop teams like Switzerland and Poland gaming the system to get a better World Cup draw.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Friendly matches can be shit but they do give the manager a chance to try new players or a new system. This could take away that chance. How many subs are you allowed in a match? It could be harder for the likes of Dunk to get a call up as Southgate might be less inclined to change the team selection.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I like the concept, and I understand the system and group winners qualifying for a mini tournament next summer.... but I am totally flummoxed as to how we go about qualifying for Euro 2020?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I like the concept, and I understand the system and group winners qualifying for a mini tournament next summer.... but I am totally flummoxed as to how we go about qualifying for Euro 2020?

The usual way.

This just offers a potential additional "back door" if a big nation screws up. It also offers a small chance to hopeless cases such as Azerbaijan and Scotland. Its actually almost impossible NOT to qualify for Euro 2020.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
this format does have promotion and relegation though.

I was thinking more 4 divisions of 15. 14 matches played over two years. Seven home, seven away. That would replace the friendlies played each year. A proper Nations League where you play everyone in your division.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was thinking more 4 divisions of 15. 14 matches played over two years. Seven home, seven away. That would replace the friendlies played each year. A proper Nations League where you play everyone in your division.

Yep. I'd like that too. But then you'd have to tweak Euros qualification or find more international breaks from somewhere (both unlikely)

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The usual way.

This just offers a potential additional "back door" if a big nation screws up. It also offers a small chance to hopeless cases such as Azerbaijan and Scotland. Its actually almost impossible NOT to qualify for Euro 2020.

Right so after next summer we will get put into a normal group along with a load of minnows?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's really not that hard to understand...

The UEFA Nations League explained - Imgur.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Right so after next summer we will get put into a normal group along with a load of minnows?

Next summer we will still be in a qualification group for Euro 2020, along with this Nations League competition running concurrently on those International breaks when we would have just been playing friendlies.

The summer after will be Euro 2020, with 24 teams in 6 groups of 4, the top 2 qualifying plus 4 best 3rd placed teams to make the last 16. You'll have a load more minnows involved of course, due to the expansion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here