Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Outsourcing Python Development to Vietnam or The Philippines?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Does anyone have any experience of outsourcing development work, preferably Python, to The Philippines or Vietnam please?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A few projects. Mostly to India. I am sure Philippines is fine. If you have a look on freelancer.com and like anything, check their reviews, project completion rate and rehire rate. Communications is a big deal. Get them on a Skype. They might have 100 computer languages but if you can't communicate forget it. Don't necessarily go for the cheapest. Try and get a team rather than an individual. Same price multi skills

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A few projects. Mostly to India. I am sure Philippines is fine. If you have a look on freelancer.com and like anything, check their reviews, project completion rate and rehire rate. Communications is a big deal. Get them on a Skype. They might have 100 computer languages but if you can't communicate forget it. Don't necessarily go for the cheapest. Try and get a team rather than an individual. Same price multi skills

Yes, agreed and thank you. Looking for a team of 5 but it seems the Commercial World has woken up to the opportunity and bring teams together for you but charge £75,000 a year for a Python Developer in Vietnam!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No need to outsource, just keep frozen mice and other rodents in your freezer, then defrost to room temp before feeding to your python, and they will develop into grown pythons before your too long

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
From my own personal experience - it only really works if the customer facing / account management / project management side of the business speaks English and the native tongue. Otherwise you lose so much in translation / misunderstanding of comms that all that cash you thought you were saving, gets sucked up into extra work / corrections.

Not sure how it works on NSC, but I do run a Python development agency. We may be outside of your price range, but feel free to give me a message if you'd like to chat. Last company I worked for had our engineers in Thailand so I understand better than most the pitfalls of outsourcing the dev work too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Working for a multi-national company we do the following:

Finance India
Procurement Poland
Development India

All these processes are slow, done badly and involve delays

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have outsourced to Pune and also now Costa Rica. CR Are pretty good for out network/ storage expertise. We did look at the Phillipines, but being a US company, there are certain issues around payment terms.....

Actually , and don't tell the brexit threaders, our French and German divisions have been employing loads of developers and software testers from Eastern Europe who would have come here and they are moving people out of the UK to these divisions too.

It's getting. A bit like the Marie Celeste at the moment.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tend to develop my python at home, when the missus is out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does anyone have any experience of outsourcing development work, preferably Python, to The Philippines or Vietnam please?

my company offshored a lot of manual/low level data entry and checking to Philippines. i have not heard much positive said about it. and while the Indian offshore operations have been expanded and grown to large operation for all aspects of IT that has not happened in Philippines. i gather the only benefit of Philippines is they speak English. generally the concept of outsourcing/offshoring works if you manage the people well, because if you dont you will have worse output and longer lines of communication.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
my company offshored a lot of manual/low level data entry and checking to Philippines. i have not heard much positive said about it. and while the Indian offshore operations have been expanded and grown to large operation for all aspects of IT that has not happened in Philippines. i gather the only benefit of Philippines is they speak English. generally the concept of outsourcing/offshoring works if you manage the people well, because if you dont you will have worse output and longer lines of communication.

Thank you for all your responses.

It's strange how experiences differ, we moved out of India and Pakistan due to compliance issues and have found The Philippines much better, more compliant and better quality. This is, like yourselves, for all low level admin. I am now looking to create a development team and the people we work with don't have any experience in this area. Oh well, visit it is!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I could be being incredibly naive, but why can't you employ people here in the UK to do the job? I've never understood the concept of mass scale redundancies or project movement to third world countries purely to save a few pennies in the pound. Several large companies in Brighton have gone offshore when there is a large pool of talent in the area. I do get the concept that it is significantly cheaper, but in certain circumstances, is cheaper always better? If I ring my credit card company and end up speaking to someone to whom English isn't their first language, it's frustrating and greatly improves my chances of going elsewhere. If I can speak to someone that clearly understands my situation and isn't working from a script, I feel that it's a better level of service.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I could be being incredibly naive, but why can't you employ people here in the UK to do the job? I've never understood the concept of mass scale redundancies or project movement to third world countries purely to save a few pennies in the pound. Several large companies in Brighton have gone offshore when there is a large pool of talent in the area. I do get the concept that it is significantly cheaper, but in certain circumstances, is cheaper always better? If I ring my credit card company and end up speaking to someone to whom English isn't their first language, it's frustrating and greatly improves my chances of going elsewhere. If I can speak to someone that clearly understands my situation and isn't working from a script, I feel that it's a better level of service.

We have set up a company that has created thirty jobs in the UK and it's growing very fast. We have also employed people in this field and they are paid a King's Ransom, seriously! We simply cannot afford to bolster the team but we need to keep pace with development. The company is collecting various taxes on behalf of the Govt inc VAT, PAYE and Corp Tax so it's doing it's bit! You need to find entrepreneurial solutions especially when you've poured your heart, soul and a stack of cash into something and, at times, that includes cutting your cloth accordingly.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
We have set up a company that has created thirty jobs in the UK and it's growing very fast. We have also employed people in this field and they are paid a King's Ransom, seriously! We simply cannot afford to bolster the team but we need to keep pace with development. The company is collecting various taxes on behalf of the Govt inc VAT, PAYE and Corp Tax so it's doing it's bit! You need to find entrepreneurial solutions especially when you've poured your heart, soul and a stack of cash into something and, at times, that includes cutting your cloth accordingly.

I guess, I understand the need to cut cloth accordingly, it just sucks that is a large talent pool in Brighton that struggles to find work, to be fair it's mainly the big companies I am my tirade at!!! There have been so many examples of companies offshoring something only to find that it is more cost effective (in terms of customer retention) to "bring it home". Customer service, for instance, is something that, to me, should NEVER be offshored in my opinion. I've worked for companies that do it (my current employer palms off webchat to the Philippines, and the results are, shall we say, less than impressive)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I guess, I understand the need to cut cloth accordingly, it just sucks that is a large talent pool in Brighton that struggles to find work, to be fair it's mainly the big companies I am my tirade at!!! There have been so many examples of companies offshoring something only to find that it is more cost effective (in terms of customer retention) to "bring it home". Customer service, for instance, is something that, to me, should NEVER be offshored in my opinion. I've worked for companies that do it (my current employer palms off webchat to the Philippines, and the results are, shall we say, less than impressive)

I feel that it's sometimes easy for some companies to blame "offshoring" for poor performance when they haven't looked at how the set up, measured, monitored and supervised the said operation, unless, of course, that was provided. We offshore but fully manage from the UK, development, training and management. We also do fantastic fully managed Live Chat ... feel free to PM ;-)

D

Deleted member 22389

Soon as I get transferred to a foreign call center I feel like putting the phone down. If you have a problem you can't express yourself properly because you end up having to talk slower so that they can understand you. It's even worse for IT problems. Eventually companies will see sense when they start losing customers. I know BT used to have foreign call centres, but for the last couple of years I have been transferred to UK centres which is so much better.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Have lived here in Philippines a few years in a couple of the Central Business Districts of it's capital. Sadly don't really have any friends or good contacts in I.T. but can ask around who friends use etc.

There are plenty of very good employees and plenty of dreadful ones just like any country. Sadly the ones who earn a handful of dollars a day are not going to be as good as the ones who earn say half or a third what they would in Brighton doing the same job. A lot of companies are run by rich foreigners or by rich locals who will just make all the proift and farm you off to the cheapest of the cheap for max short term profit.

My advise would be if possible to get in with a very small company who you can build more of a personal relationship with. I can't promise to help, but if any questions or simple enough things I can do on the ground here then feel free to ask :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here