Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Old fashion school injustices

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Posting on another thread reminded me of a couple of instances at school in the 70s and 80s which definitely wouldn't be allowed to happen today. Probably for better I guess.

The first was in Buckingham School, Shoreham. I was probably around 10 years old and suffered quite badly from Asthma. It was the morning break and the usual kick around was going on in the playground when I started suffering difficulty in breathing so I sat down on the low rung of the climbing frame which was close to the play area. It was not allowed but I just wanted to catch my breath. The male teacher monitoring play spotted me, raised me by the ear and slapped the back of my legs a few times in front of everyone.

The second was in Kings Manor Lower School, Shoreham watching a woodwork demonstration by the teacher. One kid kept prodding me in the back so I just turned around to tell him to stop. When I looked back I was slapped across the face quite hard by the male teacher.

In those days you didn't protest and you never said anything to your parents or anyone else but sometimes I still think about these incidents and get a little angry about it.

Different times.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I remember a teacher at a Horsham School who would arrange a punishment to be dealt out at break times in the changing rooms. He'd smack you on the backside after you'd changed into some rather fetching silky 70s football shorts!! I legged it out of school when faced with the "punishment", luckily my old man took me back to school and requested the Deputy Head give me the cane rather than this punishment (Thanks Dad!) ... only in the 70's!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In mid 80s, I used to have a year 5 primary school teacher that would haul misbehaving kids off to the head's office by their ears. She was however very popular as she was very fair with her brutality: if you got ear-hauled, then it was deserved and not without warning.

As far as injustices are concerned, my class teacher the following year was a complete bitch, who made up a complete load of bollocks about me to tell my parents on parents' evening. Even at the age of 11, I knew it was futile to try and plead innocence against the word of an adult so just took the punishment as the easier option. I still hate that bitch today.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I was bullied badly buy a black kid at school for nearly 2 years. One day I snapped, turned round and battered him.

The kids dad pulled the racism card and got me kicked out of school 6 months before my gcse exams. Never mind the physical punishment, mental anguish and depression i suffered for years at the ***** hands. Which lasted well into my mid 20's.

Moved to Dorothy Stringer miles away from home. The school used different exam boards to my old one so nearly all my coursework was useless. And failed most of my exams. Had no mates any more.

I still think about that **** most days. And his **** of a dad.

Still haven't forgotten. Never will.

Will never forgive the school either for being so ****ing chicken in dealing with it. As soon as that wanker pulled the racist card I was ****ed.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Attendees at Varndean Boys' School in the mid-sixties will remember a teacher called "Spud" Taylor, who kept a piece of wood on his desk called the "Trouncer". It used to be part of the piano. If the elected head pupil of the class thought any of us did something in his eyes he thought wrong, he would write your name on the blackboard.
When "Spud" arrived at the start of lessons, he would call out the names on the boards. These victims would then have to go to the front of the class, bend over, and "Spud" would wallop you on the backside with it. Quite painful!
If you got hit with "The Trouncer" on three occasions, you were rewarded the privilege of being able to carve your name on it. It was a badge of honour to do so. Yes, my name was carved on it, along with other miscreants going back a few years.
The life of "the Trouncer" sadly came to an end when "Spud" overdid his back-swing before walloping someone. As the lump of wood met this particular buttock, "The Trouncer" split in two and was binned.
Oh, the good old days.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I think more people should be allowed to kick the shit out of kids. Maybe a few parents could do with a slap too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Playing for Bexhill High school v William Parker, in an inter Sussex schools footy final, after a dodgy refereeing decision.
Bloody travesty.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Mr Metcalfe (spelling?) had a fearsome reputation at Queens Park Senior School. I never got on his wrong side :angel: but heard some very nasty stories about his red buttocked victims :D

The highlight of my days there was buying a 'mint cracknel' at dinner time. I was addicted to those!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was about 14 when I was caught smoking by a prefect and was told to come and see him in his study that evening before prep.

I duly turned up and knocked nervously on the door, once inside the prefect was sitting in an armchair smoking a fag. He then proceeded to give me six pretty vicious strokes with a cane for breaking school rules and smoking. Didn’t cross my mind to whinge to the housemaster because I knew I get another caning. I was just more careful about smoking after that.

We also had a Latin teacher who would hang you out of a first floor window holding you under your armpits if you pissed him off.

Strangely I really enjoyed school :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Attendees at Varndean Boys' School in the mid-sixties will remember a teacher called "Spud" Taylor, who kept a piece of wood on his desk called the "Trouncer". It used to be part of the piano. If the elected head pupil of the class thought any of us did something in his eyes he thought wrong, he would write your name on the blackboard.
When "Spud" arrived at the start of lessons, he would call out the names on the boards. These victims would then have to go to the front of the class, bend over, and "Spud" would wallop you on the backside with it. Quite painful!
If you got hit with "The Trouncer" on three occasions, you were rewarded the privilege of being able to carve your name on it. It was a badge of honour to do so. Yes, my name was carved on it, along with other miscreants going back a few years.
The life of "the Trouncer" sadly came to an end when "Spud" overdid his back-swing before walloping someone. As the lump of wood met this particular buttock, "The Trouncer" split in two and was binned.
Oh, the good old days.

Ah, Spud Taylor, of not blessed memory, We used to call the block of wood the keyboard (and it did have a set of keys attached to it). I only got it once - and that was enough.

Do you remember Teapot and his slipper, not nearly so painful but he did seem to take a particular delight in walloping boys on the backside,

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Do you remember Teapot and his slipper, not nearly so painful but he did seem to take a particular delight in walloping boys on the backside,

I do indeed remember Teapot, and the stench of his class room, caused by obnoxious gases escaping from the various jars of bits of marinated animals. I don't remember the slipper though.
My main memory of this weirdo was an incident during one of his biology lessons. We went around the class, each of us identifying an animal from a chart. All was going well until it was our Iranian pupil's turn. His animal was a scorpion. Teapot asked Farshad what it was. Farshad put his head in his hands, looked around the room, looked up and down, ummed and ahhed for a while before Teapot lost it.
"Don't you know what that is?" shouted Teapot at the top of his voice at poor Farshad,
Farshad, who had only lived in this country for a few weeks mumbled back, "I know what it is in Persian, but not in English."

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Me and a mate were caught smoking by a teacher at Steyning Grammar, in about 1972-3. It was a straight six of the best sentence administered by Jack Coltard, the Deputy Head of the lower school. At the time, one of the boys in our year was a huge bully, he was as big as a full grown man, and probably stronger than most, and he took by delight in throwing his not inconsiderable weight about. He had very recently battered my mate, so, when asked who had given us the fags we were smoking, my friend said the bully’s name, and looked to me for confirmation. A real dilemma, should I back up my mate, or tell the truth?

No contest, the bully joined us outside Jack Coltards office and duly received the standard punishment, but, he was also suspended for the remainder of the term, for being a serial offender and never came back to the school after the summer holidays.

Jack Coltard had lost a lung in WW2, and as a result he couldn’t manage more than a couple of boys, 6 of the best at the same time, so, if it was a busy day with the cane, he’d give each boy 3 strikes, and they had to go back the next day to complete their sentence.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Goldstone Junior school teacher punched me in the mouth when I was 9 (mother went in all guns blazing) and regularly threw chalk, balls, blackboard rubbers at kids. I think I had the record for getting 8 lots of 100 lines on Easter holiday. I must not ...........
At Senior school was caned a few times but it was par for the course in the sixties, cut the skin and bleeding. One master whacked me round the head several times for not doing three cheers after a house match!
It never did ME any harm..............?!?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Mr Metcalfe (spelling?) had a fearsome reputation at Queens Park Senior School. I never got on his wrong side :angel: but heard some very nasty stories about his red buttocked victims :D

The highlight of my days there was buying a 'mint cracknel' at dinner time. I was addicted to those!

He may have gone on to Stanley Deason. I think he did boxing. Hard as nails but ultimately a decent fella.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Had the miss-fortune of wetting myself at Tarnerland. I must have been four. The punishment was to be stood on a table and changed in front of the whole class. All these years later I still remember the humiliation.

I was slapped a few times by a teacher at St Luke's Juniors. One occasion for cheating, which I took as a fair cop, the other for not being able to do joined up writing. Thought that one a little harsh.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ and people really call it the good old days!?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Ah, Spud Taylor, of not blessed memory, We used to call the block of wood the keyboard (and it did have a set of keys attached to it). I only got it once - and that was enough.

....and what about ‘arry Allt hanging a pupil over the wall of the quad?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here