Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you risk our Premier League status by really going for it in a Cup competition?

Would you risk our Premier League status to go on a Cup run?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems that there is quite a bit of dissatisfaction with how we approach Cup games, so how desperate are you to see the Albion have a proper tilt at Cup Glory?

Really basic poll to follow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No chance

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we survive in the Prem and consolidate for 5-7 years, at that point yes. While we're still treading water and relatively new to it all, no.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The Cup is fun and all but the standard of football we get to see week in week out at the AMEX currently is so much better than it was in the Championship. I am constantly catching myself shouting "THIS IS JUST GREAT" at matches these days and long may it continue!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Question assumes that one causes the other. I fail to see how a sensibly managed cup campaign results in certain relegation...

We have a slim chance of winning a cup, we have no chance whatsoever of winning this league. Would I risk half fit players? Obviously not, but a smattering of 1st team players is not going to result in certain relegation and a cup run can offer benefits in improved confidence, revenue, and even european competition. Fatigue needs to be factored in but this is a 38 game division, we don't have european football or too many internationals to worry about, we can afford to play stronger sides than we are, even if its not our best XI every time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No. Maybe next season given our 'step by step' approach to improving the squad but definitely not this season.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So there isn't even a debate as to whether that does "risk" our Premier League status?

I've seen us lose momentum by chopping and changing the side so much for a Cup game, and I don't see how doing that has helped us retain a League status. At the start of the season (not so much this year) we've been struggling to blend new players into the team, and get the understanding amongst them all. Then we've had a League Cup game second match up, and "rested" over half the team, when they didn't need the rest, they needed match sharpness, and they desperately needed the time on the field with their new teams mates.

There are times when a player is looking tired, or carrying a knock, or a player like Locadia is in need of a match, but we've got to the stage where it's not being based on those decisions, it's just a straight "rest everyone, certainly 9 or 10, because we can't afford to risk being relegated." Sometimes resting a player is the right thing to do, but things have got completely out of hand IMHO.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Assuming we go out of both cups at the first time of asking, then we'll have played 40 matches this season.

If we were to win both cups, we'd have to play 50 times.

Personally, I think that players want to play in every game. Play them. Or at least play a slightly stronger squad than that which stepped out last night.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Agree with others that going for it in the cup doesn't mean that it risks PL status. Winning a cup, even the Rumbelows Milk Cup, would be fantastic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Assuming we go out of both cups at the first time of asking, then we'll have played 40 matches this season.

If we were to win both cups, we'd have to play 50 times.

Personally, I think that players want to play in every game. Play them. Or at least play a slightly stronger squad than that which stepped out last night.
That all sounds fine, but maybe you misread the question: 'Would you risk our Premier League status?'

Playing a strong squad is one thing, but risking our PL status is madness, surely?

If you think we can put out a better squad, and not risk our PL status, then the answer is either 'No' or 'Other'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we survive in the Prem and consolidate for 5-7 years, at that point yes. While we're still treading water and relatively new to it all, no.

Is the right answer, we are still new to the Premier League and need to concentrate on keeping that league for a minimum of 3 to 5 years, look at West Prom or Stoke and see what one bad season brings

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We got to the Quarter-final of the FA Cup last season.
How often does that happen?!
If anyone has an issue with how we approach come games, they need to get a grip.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's basic maths isn't it. Premier League survival is worth around £160m (plus the chance to fight another day) as opposed to the £3m for winning the Milk Cup and all the gates receipts etc?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope. Go for it in the FA Cup once we're properly established. If we could go for it without risking PL status, then great. Think policy will be to essentially hope for a couple of gimmes in the early rounds without having to risk all the first-teamers, then start to take it seriously from R5-6 onwards - bit like last season. Sure if we'd beaten Man U then CH would've carried on taking it seriously from there.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We can do both. We have a 25 man squad and a successful youth team. The point of staying in the cup isn't so much to win it, but it gives players like Locadia, Bissouma, Ali, as well as the pick of the under 23's the playing time and English football experience they need to get up to speed if they then have to get thrown into the team. Now they won't have that.

Yesterday was tricky to be fair as we had a few injuries which meant Hughton was absolutely right not to play, Duffy, Balogan or Montoya. Though Hughes showed we wanted to be in the competition more than Hughton with his subsitutions

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That all sounds fine, but maybe you misread the question: 'Would you risk our Premier League status?'

Playing a strong squad is one thing, but risking our PL status is madness, surely?

If you think we can put out a better squad, and not risk our PL status, then the answer is either 'No' or 'Other'

At this stage I think the risk is minimal, so I would play a stronger team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here