Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank you TB, PB and CH. I think I'm going insane!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Well, I keep buying tickets for these games and each time I expect the club to put some sort of effort into winning the game and each time the same thing happens. Ok, sometimes we scrape through against mediocre lower league opposition or we come up against a team that is more successful at avoiding victory than we are.

I understand that we are playing our effective reserve team players but once you get into the second half and it's 0-0, at least try and pretend, for the sake of the paying public, that you care. The notion that the be all and end all of football is 'just' staying in the Premier League seems to me to be the antithesis of what sport is all about. I get that the PL is where the money is but is it really where the fun is? We've had one season and we went along for the ride but how long before the novelty of 'just staying up' wears off?

Today we played Gross in a completely ineffectual position. Maybe it was an experiment to see what he could do there if Bissouma, who was the best player today, takes his role further up the field. The only sub was Propper for Gross and that was probably not tactical, just that both are likely to play on Saturday. A pointless substitution of Connolly for Kayay was meaningless in the 90th minute. Zero imagination, zero ambition.

Am I grateful for the Amex, well it's nice to sit on padded seat. It's nice to have easy access from the station or piglet panty pies etc etc but if we were still at Withdean, I'd probably still be watching the football there. The pitch is the cake and everything else is just icing. Nice but not as important.

I'll be slated for this but if you are one of those that think we need to stay in the PL at all costs and sacrifice everything else then that's fine. However, in my opinion you are just another dullard.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A new contender for Cupid Stunt

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Well, I keep buying tickets for these games and each time I expect the club to put some sort of effort into winning the game and each time the same thing happens. Ok, sometimes we scrape through against mediocre lower league opposition or we come up against a team that is more successful at avoiding victory than we are.

I understand that we are playing our effective reserve team players but once you get into the second half and it's 0-0, at least try and pretend, for the sake of the paying public, that you care. The notion that the be all and end all of football is 'just' staying in the Premier League seems to me to be the antithesis of what sport is all about. I get that the PL is where the money is but is it really where the fun is? We've had one season and we went along for the ride but how long before the novelty of 'just staying up' wears off?

Today we played Gross in a completely ineffectual position. Maybe it was an experiment to see what he could do there if Bissouma, who was the best player today, takes his role further up the field. The only sub was Propper for Gross and that was probably not tactical, just that both are likely to play on Saturday. A pointless substitution of Connolly for Kayay was meaningless in the 90th minute. Zero imagination, zero ambition.

Am I grateful for the Amex, well it's nice to sit on padded seat. It's nice to have easy access from the station or piglet panty pies etc etc but if we were still at Withdean, I'd probably still be watching the football there. The pitch is the cake and everything else is just icing. Nice but not as important.

I'll be slated for this but if you are one of those that think we need to stay in the PL at all costs and sacrifice everything else then that's fine. However, in my opinion you are just another dullard.
Yes, gave you a thumbsup for (most of) that, but........

Spoilt by your final sentence
........agreed with that even more.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I enjoyed the match and thought we were competitive for much of the game. A quick glance at the match stats confirms this. Southampton had more shots on target but other than that we were pretty even.

Gyokeres had a good chance saved just before Hughes brought on his first teamers to kill it off.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Anyone who thought we would do anything other than field a reserve side tonight must be very thick.

These League Cup games are OK to provide match minutes for bench, fringe, U23, new/returning players - nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok, so what you are saying is that you would swap premier league football for mid-table championship nothingness just to go a few extra rounds in the league cup?

Or perhaps they are saying that's not a choice we have to make. Through a largely lucky draw we got quite far last season and stayed up, too. It is ridiculous and plain wrong to think it's an either/or situation.

Mild disappointment for me not major. Was hoping for more from some of the expensive players. That’s it really. Good job we have a big occasion so soon to think about this Saturday

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mild disappointment for me not major. Was hoping for more from some of the expensive players. That’s it really. Good job we have a big occasion so soon to think about this Saturday

Pretty much agree with this. We've had Chris Hughton in charge for a little over 3.5 years. In that time he has never shown an inclination to win the cup games by treating them as first team matches. Anyone expecting more at this point of his stint with us only have themselves to blame for their disappointment in his approach. These games should be looked at the way the club are looking at them: an opportunity for fringe players to show us what they've got, to stake a claim for a chance in the first team, or simply get some match time under their belt.

(In case anyone is confused, my last post is against the idea that we can stay in the premier league OR we can try to go on a cup run. I disagree that it is one or the other, but I accept that Hughton has decided he doesn't want to use the first team in cup games)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pretty much agree with this. We've had Chris Hughton in charge for a little over 3.5 years. In that time he has never shown an inclination to win the cup games by treating them as first team matches. Anyone expecting more at this point of his stint with us only have themselves to blame for their disappointment in his approach. These games should be looked at the way the club are looking at them: an opportunity for fringe players to show us what they've got, to stake a claim for a chance in the first team, or simply get some match time under their belt.

(In case anyone is confused, my last post is against the idea that we can stay in the premier league OR we can try to go on a cup run. I disagree that it is one or the other, but I accept that Hughton has decided he doesn't want to use the first team in cup games)

I wouldn't argue with the starting 11 nor the notion that this is an opportunity to give fringe players and recent signings a chance to get game time but when we are mid way through the second half and it's 0-0 take a gamble. If you want your fringe players to get meaningful game time then what better way than a little progress in this cup. Don't have to play the first 11 but there were players on the bench that might have made a difference. Don't mind losing as long as you go down trying.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What? You think our league form would not suffer at all if we go all out in the cup games?

You totally missed the point. You're swapping one certainty for another. Sport isn't and shouldn't be like that. If someone gave you the option of guaranteeing 17th place in the PL for the next 15 years, no higher no lower, would you take that or would you prefer the risk of doing better or doing worse?

With regard tonight, why wait until the 90th minute when we were a goal down before putting on Connolly? Give him a chance or don't bother at all?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone who thought we would do anything other than field a reserve side tonight must be very thick.

These League Cup games are OK to provide match minutes for bench, fringe, U23, new/returning players - nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not saying I didn't expect the 11 that started but if we did progress then that is more match time for the fringe players. Exactly how does it benefit a player like Connolly to throw him on with seconds to go?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I too was disappointed with the lack of changes. Saints brought on Redmond and Austin and that's what won them the game. We didn't seem interested, sadly.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I wouldn't argue with the starting 11 nor the notion that this is an opportunity to give fringe players and recent signings a chance to get game time but when we are mid way through the second half and it's 0-0 take a gamble. If you want your fringe players to get meaningful game time then what better way than a little progress in this cup. Don't have to play the first 11 but there were players on the bench that might have made a difference. Don't mind losing as long as you go down trying.

Now that's a fair point. Given that there wasn't to be any extra time in this fixture then where would be the harm in throwing the dice and making some substitutions? The players were not going to be required for the additional 30 minutes so why not make some changes with 10-15 minutes left? I said to my daughter that I'd like to have seen Knockaert come on for the final spell to see if he could beat a tiring defence. Hughes made his subs on 80 minutes dead and changed the match.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Or perhaps they are saying that's not a choice we have to make. Through a largely lucky draw we got quite far last season and stayed up, too. It is ridiculous and plain wrong to think it's an either/or situation.

And last season did we use our first XI to get 'quite far' in the cup competitions?

Quite simply managers aren't willing to risk key players getting injured or suspended which is why most teams with big money to play for, in terms of league football, (mainly PL and Championship) rotate their players and bring in the fringe members of their squads. It's not exclusive to us now is it?

To the lower league sides (Div 2 and non league in the case of FA Cup, and to some Div 1 teams) cup money is a real boost to their fortunes and can help to survive into the future or help boost their squad and make them more competitive on the field or providing investment opportunity into the infrastructure, meaning progression is more likely

To PL and Championship teams, you can be talking about £80m+ difference between staying or reaching the PL or being a Championship team the following season (relegation or failure to win promotion) and a good cup run will not even begin to help recoup that.

The problem is that there is too much of a gap between incomes of the top flight and the Championship (and again from the Championship to Div 1) that clubs and therefore managers often have to prioritise and select their best strategy for minimising risk whilst maximising reward, which is why they rotate and prioritise the league, because that is where the money is, which allows for investment, etc.

A remedy / solution would be to minimise the gap in incomes between the 2 leagues as much as possible so that the probability of relegation and massive change in income wasn't such a factor in decision making when a manager is looking at every edge in order to try to achieve their, and the clubs goal (usually survival or promotion depending on which league they are in to start with)

The top 6's priority is similar, they have European football too to throw into the mix, (qualification for or keeping players available and fresh for a cup run there) which is why they too don't put out strong line ups in competitions like this (and why they put out a weaker XI in some league games in the hope that they can get away with it and protect their key individuals)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not saying I didn't expect the 11 that started but if we did progress then that is more match time for the fringe players. Exactly how does it benefit a player like Connolly to throw him on with seconds to go?

Deary me you are not very good at this football thingy. We went 1 nil down very late. We took off a midfielder and threw on another striker. It was really a case of one last throw of the dice. That is why Hughton put him on. Would you rather he didn't throw on another attacker ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Deary me you are not very good at this football thingy. We went 1 nil down very late. We took off a midfielder and threw on another striker. It was really a case of one last throw of the dice. That is why Hughton put him on. Would you rather he didn't throw on another attacker ?

He wants fun, we should have thrown on 3 additional forwards on 60 mins

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm just happy we have piglet panty pies.

7C9FB395-77F2-481E-8AEB-E6A606E54DF4.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here