Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jamie Vardy Semi-Retires from international duty

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has asked not to be considered so he can focus on club football, but is willing to play in exceptional circumstances (eg injury crises)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gary Cahill now taking the same position.

It feels like Vardy has only just broken into the squad, and the youngsters that Southgate might focus on haven't really stepped up (Rashford, Lingaard, Welbeck) so it doesn't feel like Vardy is that much on the outskirts of the squad.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Gary Cahill now taking the same position.

It feels like Vardy has only just broken into the squad, and the youngsters that Southgate might focus on haven't really stepped up (Martial, Lingaard, Welbeck) so it doesn't feel like Vardy is that much on the outskirts of the squad.

Martial? Do you mean Rashford?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, the old "spend more time with my family" mantra rears its ugly head :rolleyes:

Yeah, must be REALLY tough getting home from training at 1 in the afternoon all through the week, having absolutely nothing to do every other summer, and retiring a multi-millionaire by your mid-30's. My heart really goes out to these Premier League footballers who are under the yoke of their slave-driving clubs. They probably barely recognise their kids when they eventually get to see them in their teens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hate Beckham all you want, but no matter how shoddily he was treated by England (some self-inflicted) he never once said 'I'm going to concentrate on club football'.
So much so if asked now to 'give us 45 minutes' he'd have his boots on before the call the finished.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sounds like the mate you have at Sunday League level who is decent, but just not that fussed. "Let me know if you're really short, and I'll see if I can square it with the missus."

**** me. Where'd the pride in playing for England go eh?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ahh, the old "spend more time with my family" mantra rears its ugly head :rolleyes:

Yeah, must be REALLY tough getting home from training at 1 in the afternoon all through the week, having absolutely nothing to do every other summer, and retiring a multi-millionaire by your mid-30's. My heart really goes out to these Premier League footballers who are under the yoke of their slave-driving clubs. They probably barely recognise their kids when they eventually get to see them in their teens.

Maybe not, but if you add up the time spent at St George's Park before the games, travelling to international friendlies/qualifiers (away AND home) and weeks away from home every other summer, it must take its toll. Don't get me wrong, they have a great life/income, but sometimes it must get on their nerves and they probably WOULD like a bit of a break from it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't blame him.

Is probably at the absolute peak of his talents now and didn't really break into it massively.

Not much going to change next 2 / 4 years , if anything he will get pushed down the order.

He's 31

He has 3 kids

Good luck to him

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe not, but if you add up the time spent at St George's Park before the games, travelling to international friendlies/qualifiers (away AND home) and weeks away from home every other summer, it must take its toll. Don't get me wrong, they have a great life/income, but sometimes it must get on their nerves and they probably WOULD like a bit of a break from it.

You get a 60+ year break from it.
Vardy had a 20+ year break from the inconvenience of playing for England while playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels, Halifax and Fleetwood.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sounds like the mate you have at Sunday League level who is decent, but just not that fussed. "Let me know if you're really short, and I'll see if I can square it with the missus."

**** me. Where'd the pride in playing for England go eh?

"Yeah, just drop me a text Gareth and I'll come along if you're short. I've got a mate's stag do the night before, so I'll be a bit hungover but happy to help out."

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I wonder if it’s all in agreement with Southgate. He wasn’t likely to start either of them maybe he’s happier bringing through the next generation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thats not week-in, week-out though is it. There's a few International breaks where that'll be the case, but between that, footballers get AMPLE time with their families. I wonder how the likes of Vardy could possibly cope if he had to leave the house at 6am every day and commute to and from work, getting home at 7pm if he's lucky, shortly before or just after the kids are in bed.

Grinds my crank when these millionaire footballers bleat on about spending more time with their families. Its a "short career" as we are often reminded, and yet some of them can't even be arsed during it to put themselves out a bit and continue to represent their country at the highest level.

I guess some of them, the likes of Vardy, just don't feel the pride in it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Yeah, just drop me a text Gareth and I'll come along if you're short. I've got a mate's stag do the night before, so I'll be a bit hungover but happy to help out."

Refuses to run the line as well. The prick.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What a pair of quitters. With attitudes like that its good they won't be in the squads.

They won't be missed; and let's face it they're not really that good either. Tossers - both of them. Hopefully, they'll be replaced by two younger players who take a pride in playing for their nation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Smacks of 'been to a World Cup, ticked that box, doesn't pay very well compared to club football so **** it, I'll pack it in. Was never first choice anyway'

If that's his attitude, we're better off without him. Agree with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - knock Beckham all you want but he busted his balls most of the time in an England shirt and was always obviously proud to be wearing it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd like it to be known that I'm also stepping aside from international football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here