Brighton v Southampton

The EFL Cup (Carabao Cup) – Second Round

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Tuesday 28th August 2018
Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Sian Massey-Ellis
Fourth official: Lee Probert

Brighton boss Chris Hughton is set to hand record signing Alireza Jahanbakhsh his full debut against Southampton on Tuesday evening.

The Iranian, who moved to the south coast from AZ Alkmaar in July for a fee in the region of £17 million, has been restricted to appearances from the bench thus far, but according to the club's official website, Jahanbakhsh is set to make his full debut at the Amex.

As is commonplace in the competition, the club are set to make wholesale changes and Swedish U19 international Viktor Gyokeres - who can play up front or out wide - has impressed in the under-23s' unbeaten start to the season and is tipped to at least make the matchday squad.

Lewis Dunk missed the narrow defeat to Liverpool, while Bruno, Jose Izquierdo and Florin Andone also remain sidelined for the Seagulls.

Southampton will be without suspended midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg for the Carabao Cup second-round tie at Brighton. The Denmark international serves a one-match ban after being sent off for two yellow cards against Leicester on Saturday.

Saints boss Mark Hughes intends to make changes at the Amex Stadium which may mean a debut for goalkeeper Angus Gunn.

Defenders Matt Targett and Jan Bednarek, captain Steven Davis and striker Manolo Gabiaddini could make their first starts of the season.

• [*=left]Brighton and Southampton have only met in the League Cup once before - the Saints won 3-0 at the Withdean Stadium in September 2001.
    [*=left]Brighton have won just two of their last 15 matches against Southampton in all competitions (D6 L7).
    [*=left]This is Brighton's fifth League Cup tie as a top-flight team against fellow top-flight opposition - they lost the previous four, including last season against Bournemouth in the third round.
    [*=left]Southampton manager Mark Hughes has progressed from his last eight League Cup second round ties - his last elimination at this stage was against Brighton in 2008-09 as Man City manager, going out 5-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.
    [*=left]Southampton striker Charlie Austin has scored six goals in nine appearances against Brighton, with all matches coming in league competition.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've forgotten and then remembered and then forgotten again that this match is happening about 5 times now.

Probably will one more time later.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was at that game, strange atmosphere, understandably. Maybe someone will assassinate Trump and blow up Parliament today . . . .that would be good.

Am I right in thinking that last time we played saints in this cup was the day of 9/11?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Looking at the seating plan, and when I bought mine this morning, all but about 450/500 of the lower bowl so what’s that 15,000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez, thats not bad especially with the North Stand not open either.
Sensible pricing and points allocation by the club.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here