PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Anfield
Date: Saturday 25th August 2018
Kick-off: 17:30 BST
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Assistants: Lee Betts, Simon Long
Fourth official: Craig Pawson

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool could name the same starting line-up for a third game in a row.

Defender Dejan Lovren remains out, while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is a long-term absentee.

Leon Balogun could make his first Brighton start as Lewis Dunk is a major doubt with an ankle injury sustained against Manchester United.

Club captain Bruno is out with a hamstring injury, Jose Izquierdo is lacking fitness and new signing Florin Andone has a groin problem.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Martin Fisher: Neutrals everywhere are hoping for more of a title race this season and the smart money is on Liverpool being best equipped to stay on the shirt tails of Manchester City.

The early signs are good. They have two wins out of two and Jurgen Klopp will be thrilled at how quickly Naby Keita and Alisson have settled in.

Brighton will be bouncing after a 3-2 victory over Manchester United in which they pounced on numerous errors by Jose Mourinho's men, but this is a much sterner test.

The Seagulls have conceded 16 goals on their last four visits to Anfield. Damage limitation might be their chief ambition again.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "We certainly need to show a lot of the qualities that we showed in last week's performance [against Manchester United]. Hopefully it allows us to go to Liverpool with a little bit more confidence, a little bit less pressure.

"I expect the tempo of the game to be very fast. That's what they [Liverpool] have proved already this season, that's what they showed last season, and they've made good additions to the squad so I expect nothing different to that."

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp: "They are just a very good team and I really respect a lot what Chris is doing there.

"It's not only the Man United game, but even in that game - and we've used it for our analysis - it was impressive, really good.

"I have a lot of respect for it and we are warned. We have to be awake and we have to be 100% spot on."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left] Liverpool are unbeaten in seven games against Brighton in all competitions, winning the last five in a row.
    [*=left]Brighton's only victory at Anfield in nine league visits came in March 1982 when Andy Ritchie scored the game's solitary goal (D1, L7).
    [*=left]The Reds have scored 15 goals and conceded just two in the last three meetings in all competitions.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have scored three own goals in their last three games with Liverpool.
Liverpool

• [*=left] They are unbeaten in 22 Premier League games at Anfield since a 2-1 defeat by Crystal Palace in April 2017 (W14, D8).
    [*=left]Liverpool could keep seven consecutive Premier League clean sheets at Anfield for the first time since February 2007 under Rafa Benitez.
    [*=left]The Reds have conceded just once in five league games.
    [*=left]James Milner's goal in the 2-0 win at Crystal Palace means Liverpool are now unbeaten in the 48 Premier League games in which he has scored for them (W38, D10).
    [*=left]Roberto Firmino has scored just once in his last nine league appearances.
Brighton

• [*=left] Brighton's two wins in their last 11 Premier League games both came at home against Manchester United (D3, L6).
    [*=left]The Seagulls are currently on a 14-match winless away run in the division (D4, L10).
    [*=left]Brighton manager Chris Hughton has lost his last 12 away league games against the established top six sides, conceding 38 goals and scoring just three.
    [*=left]Hughton has lost all five of his Premier League fixtures as a manager against Liverpool, conceding at least four goals in each defeat.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Anfield and Etihad by the end of September. Still, they will be out of the way then and it won't get any tougher than these. Only a supreme optimist could give us a chance of anything so its realistic to consider the scale of defeat.
1) Single goal defeat....will feel like a result and a real basis to move on with confidence.
2) Two goal deficit....still decent and heads held high.
3) Lose by three....par for the course and still acceptable to many BHA fans.
4) Four or more....have to say...would be disappointing.

Prediction.....0-3. ( Home win, that is )

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Really nervous about this one.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't mind these sort of games, they're a free hit basically. Expecting nothing much short of a tonking, so anything we do get will be a massive bonus.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Looking forward to watchig this on BT Sport.
Not looking forward to listening to Michael Owens 'when I was at Liverpool' punditry bollox :shootself

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BT Sport it is

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I have bet £20 on an Albion win so double disappointment likely later this afternoon :smile:

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I think the words "they are coming to take me away today" may apply as I have a very odd feeling its going to be a positive result today .. most likely a draw but possibly even a win ... now where's the pencils to stick up me nose and underpants to wear on me head

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was there last time we won at Anfield, Feb 1983, and the pundits did not give us a chance then either. I fully expect to lose today but I will have a punt, 1-0 to the Albion.

What a start to the season that would be huh?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Stop being so negative, the lot of you!

We’re gonna win and there’s nothing the scousers can do about it.

2-1 to the good guys :albion2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here